BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: XJ Dana 30 truss  (Read 365 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
XJ Dana 30 truss
« on: March 17, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »
I'm think I'm going to continue to polish this turd (I have the XJ HP D30 under my TJ).  I believe between Beasley and Windrock I am going to pull the axle assembly from the Jeep, fix a leaky axle seal and replace the lower control arm mounts with some Artec mounts I have sitting on a work bench.  So I figured while the axle was out that I should go ahead and truss it, since it is just a bit more money and time to get that taken care of (I should have done it when I first built the axle). 

I have looked at the Artec truss, which concerns me since I have to weld to the pumpkin.  The cost is awesome, but I'm concerned about trying to weld to the to pumpkin with a relatively low power MIG welder and standard flux core wire.  I can pre-heat the pumpkin and I have a welding blanket I can use to cover it after completing the task.  Should I be as concerned as I am about this?  NOTE: I saw a front axle at Golden Mountain where the weld to the pumpkin didn't hold, so I don't want that to happen to me.

I have looked at the TNT truss, but with that truss system built out I'm going to be in too much money to justify it, or so I believe.  The cost sucks on this one.  Is it worth the significant increase in cost?

I have looked at the Rusty's truss.  The price is in the middle of the two listed above, but it doesn't seem to cover much surface area.  Is this ok?

I have looked at some "home made" trusses, which hasn't freaked me out, but sometimes the effort isn't justified.  I was considering cutting some 2"x4" 3/16" square tube to make the basic truss and then fab as needed for the spring perches, upper control arm mounts, and raised track bar mount.

Clean slate here...what would you do?

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline bear991

• Visitor
Re: XJ Dana 30 truss
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 01:45:03 PM »
If I were you I'd pull it out purchase the Rusty's truss and take it to a quality fab/welding shop and let them install it.
Something like that should be welded in slow and the axle secured to prevent the obvious.

Just my .02

And like you I'll keep polishing my D 30 turd, oh and by the way I have a polished AMC 20 turd also.
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do- The Duke

Bear

Offline cudruln

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 02:16:26 PM »
I agree with Bear on this one. Sometimes it is nice to leave the concern up to the professionals. I have personally welded a lot of items but still would be worried with something in that sorts. Call around and get a quote to weld it up and determine if you could justify the cost of a new axle if you tweaked yours welding to it.  //popcorn//
Alex

Offline Charliticus

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 02:27:37 PM »
If you're welding to the pumpkin, which is cast, you need to weld it using nickel TIG rods. Since you don't appear to have the capacity to do either, then I wouldn't do it.

Well. I wouldn't bother with a truss on a 30 because you have far more other things to worry about than tweaking your axle.
R-U-Bacon?

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 02:43:37 PM »
If I were you I'd pull it out purchase the Rusty's truss and take it to a quality fab/welding shop and let them install it.
Something like that should be welded in slow and the axle secured to prevent the obvious.

Just my .02

And like you I'll keep polishing my D 30 turd, oh and by the way I have a polished AMC 20 turd also.

I welded up my rear axle truss, control arms, and shock mounts, but I went painfully slow with it;  I only did about 1" at a time in one spot, then moved to another distant spot.  Welding the tubes doesn't concern me, it was the pumpkin for the reason, mentioned by Char.

I agree with Bear on this one. Sometimes it is nice to leave the concern up to the professionals. I have personally welded a lot of items but still would be worried with something in that sorts. Call around and get a quote to weld it up and determine if you could justify the cost of a new axle if you tweaked yours welding to it.  //popcorn//

Ya, I'll call around just to know roughly what this will cost.

If you're welding to the pumpkin, which is cast, you need to weld it using nickel TIG rods. Since you don't appear to have the capacity to do either, then I wouldn't do it.

Well. I wouldn't bother with a truss on a 30 because you have far more other things to worry about than tweaking your axle.

I would like to avoid the pumpkin welding, for lack of the proper equipment.

What else are you thinking I should be concerned with that would go before a truss is necessary?

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 02:57:43 PM »

What else are you thinking I should be concerned with that would go before a truss is necessary?

Ring and pinion is my thought...but nothing you can do about that but go bigger. 

Offline Charliticus

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 03:02:48 PM »

Everything else. Literally everything.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 03:06:41 PM by Charliticus »
R-U-Bacon?

Offline 94xjsport94

• Visitor
  • Cherocar
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 04:16:34 PM »
Truss and full case locker should take care of 98.6% of carrier and housing deflection. I don't see a problem with your driving habits with a polished 30. Charliticus drives a little harder than most of us I think lol.
Will

94 seXj

Offline mrmike1964

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 08:47:31 PM »

Ok the pumpkin is cast what?  
1)Cast Iron
2)Cast steel?
Cast Iron)How would you weld Cast Iron? Preheat the pumpkin to 200* weld it and cool slowly.
Or the ping method where you preheat weld it and just tap on the weld to relieve the stress and cracking till it cools?
Cast Steel)It's safer to say its cast steel and is very easily welding with mig or tig or stick 6011-6010-7018 Nickel would be over kill but would hold.
If your not sure of what kind of steel or Iron your going to weld. Use a magnet if it sticks it is weldable the stronger it sticks the easier it is to weld.

[attachment deleted by admin - older than 465 days]
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 07:09:31 AM by mrmike1964 »
Mike

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 09:01:18 PM »

Everything else. Literally everything.

Trussing it is not worth it in any shape or form. If you were racing, then I would agree; otherwise no. The rest if the axle will go before you hurt the tubes really. Your only on 35's so there isn't a need really.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline mrmike1964

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 09:11:46 PM »
Agreed Tripp at lest your consistent.
It still didn't hurt doing it though. //;D//
Mike

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK