BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: In need of a Toyota fuel pump sending unit HELP!  (Read 169 times)

Offline cjgolfer7

• Visitor
In need of a Toyota fuel pump sending unit HELP!
« on: July 03, 2014, 05:48:22 PM »
I just purchased a 1985 Toyota 4runner. It needed a new fuel pump. I bought on and barley touch the fuel line to the pump and it broke off because of the rust. Toyota doesn't make this part any longer from what I understand. I ordered a unit for 86-89 thinking it would work. It was an inch to long. I need a unit that fits a 1985. I'm not certain if truck models will work. But I am certain that they changed the tanks in 1986. So it has to be a pre 86. It will have to be 4 and 3/4 inches In diameter and no longer than 12 inches. I believe it's 11 1/2 maybe 3/4. Big kicker is the diameter.  Anybody know of somewhere,  somwbody, something.  It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Offline URBAN ASSAULT

• Visitor
Re: In need of a Toyota fuel pump sending unit HELP!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 08:26:35 PM »
Several available on eBay and pick n pull sites.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-OEM-8332039695-Switch-Fuel-Sending-Fuel-Tank-Sending-Unit-/171377022273?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1985%7CMake%3AToyota%7CModel%3A4Runner&hash=item27e6ddd541&vxp=mtr

But what are your plans for the truck? Stock restoration? Or the evolution of a trail truck? When mine goes out, I will drop the tank and replace/relocate with fuel cell in factory spare location. Aftermarket cell, pump, and sending unit. Or, an F150 tank fits in spare tire location. I'm not as savvy with the 1st/2nd gen T4R's though shouldn't be significantly different.
I'll keep an eye out.
Also, contact Sam Stewart, parts manager at Toyota South Atlanta. Avid wheeler, and seems to be able to locate 'new-old-stock' of rare & hard to find yota parts.
Good luck!
Steve
My 4Runner and I are quickly becoming dirty ol' men. More attitude and less flexibility every year.

Steve

Offline cjgolfer7

• Visitor
Re: In need of a Toyota fuel pump sending unit HELP!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 09:43:40 AM »
Couldn't pull that link up but I'll try and find it. It's going to be hard because it has to be out of an 84-85. I'll look on some pick and pull sites. And give Sam a call. For now I'd like to just get it running. It's rust free with only 140k. Maybe evolve into a more trail truck. But now just around savannah and light wheeling.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM