BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Offended by the 4wp Truck&Jeepfest, should I be?  (Read 477 times)

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
Offended by the 4wp Truck&Jeepfest, should I be?
« on: August 04, 2014, 01:04:47 AM »
I know some of you guys have your opinions about the event, and we all know it's just a big advertisement for all the stuff they sell. I still like to go, just to get out and do something offroad oreinted. I even like checking out the rigs in the parking lot. I mainly go because my son likes to see the rigs and parts on display, and we've gone every year since he was born. To him it's just one of those once a year things we do, and we both have fun...just a positive father/son ritual.

We went today, and I noticed they had a little stand where they sold alcohol. I don't mean just beer, there was liquer and mixed drinks on the menu. It wasn't in the common area of the Cobb Galleria, but in the actual event room. I immediately felt a little offended. Don't get me wrong I like to drink, but there's a time and place. I just don't think it's an event appropriate to serve alcohol at. It's not a "real" truck/jeep show, but rather an advertising event showing products they sell. Imo, not much different than going into Summit and seeing a beer tent...it just doesn't belong. It doesnt look good to have an event put on by one of the most recognized names in the industry, and serving drinks. If it was a big hit and caught on, I could see it turning into an atmosphere more on par with a concert. Although I saw very few people walking around drinking, it just felt like the whole event could head in a bad direction. I wouldn't take my kids into a bar, so why take them into one with a few jeeps parked inside. All it takes is one irresponsible person to be stumbling around half lit to makes the whole community look like a bunch of drunk hillbillies.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I was wanting to hear opinions from other people in the offroading community. Am I overreacting by being offended that they offered alcohol? The way I see it, you wouldn't drink on the trail, so why do it at something like that. What do y'all think?

2000 TJ
ATK 4.7 stroker, Bds coils, disco's, 1" bl, 33x10.50 km2, soft 8's, RE LCA's, Skyjacker shocks

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Offended by the 4wp Truck&Jeepfest, should I be?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 04:24:33 AM »
Nope.  Bad place to have a bar but the venue may have insisted on it in the contract.  4wp probably negotiated the lowest price they could get. Just saying there might be more to the story.  Now free drinks would have surely increased sales lol.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 07:30:06 AM »
Nope, everyone is entitled to be offended.  I didn't even see the bar, but I still saw a few hillbillies.  Maybe the bar was near the MasterCraft seat booth...which eluded me.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 10:38:53 AM »
Would not have offended me.  But I don't get offended real easy.

I wouldn't drink when I play baseball, but I do when I watch it.

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 02:09:54 PM »
Nope.  Bad place to have a bar but the venue may have insisted on it in the contract.  4wp probably negotiated the lowest price they could get. Just saying there might be more to the story.  Now free drinks would have surely increased sales lol.
X2
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline Michigunman

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 02:20:54 PM »
I wouldn't take offense to it but that's me.  I was there for an hour or so and didn't notice it myself or anyone drinking.  Doesn't sound like they were promoting it much.  Doug could be on to something. 
Mark
2003 TJ Sport with some mods
1998 TJ with more mods

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 09:11:06 PM »
Thanks for the opinions guys. Doug, I didn't think about that and it seems like you could be right. They did have that bridal show up there as well, so that could have gone along with it. I just saw it as a potential problem if it caught on...2, 3 , or 4 yrs down the road. If some poor guy was dragged to the bridal show and wondered in, it could have a negative impact on the way he looks at wheeling.

Alot of the people I've introduced to wheeling had the impression that we were all a bunch of rednecks getting lit and tearing up the woods. Most of them were hesitant to join me on the trails because of that. No matter where you go you will always come across a group of guys that are irresponsible,  and go around trespassing and tearing/littering up everything. Yet, guys like us get labeled as being like them. That's just how it is with stereotypes from outsiders
2000 TJ
ATK 4.7 stroker, Bds coils, disco's, 1" bl, 33x10.50 km2, soft 8's, RE LCA's, Skyjacker shocks

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 10:00:27 PM »
I noticed the bar but it didn't offend me. Seeing street tires offended me. It was exactly what I expected.
The Titan ORT was a welcome surprise. And I learned a bit more about some parts I have on order (Fox Shocks).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline jeepjunky68

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 06:12:03 PM »
I don't think it is so much about being offended as it is what kind of example we set for our young generation coming up. Unfortunately everything has become the norm in our current society so not too many people see anything wrong with getting liquored up in front of their kids. Me personally, I will not. I am not anti-alcohol completely but as stated above there is a time and place for it.

I would love to see more kids get involved into building four wheel drive vehicles and learning valuable mechanic skills as this is a lot of fun and educational. Just from some of the posts I have read on this forum, it appears to me that there is a lot of good people on here that believe in being a good example for our kids. Hopefully our leading by example will rub off on others.

Offline cosimpson

• Visitor
  • Rubi
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 06:41:07 PM »
X2
Chris

What is this lever beside my shifter?
2004 TJ Rubicon

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 08:56:07 AM »
I don't think it is so much about being offended as it is what kind of example we set for our young generation coming up. Unfortunately everything has become the norm in our current society so not too many people see anything wrong with getting liquored up in front of their kids. Me personally, I will not. I am not anti-alcohol completely but as stated above there is a time and place for it.

I would love to see more kids get involved into building four wheel drive vehicles and learning valuable mechanic skills as this is a lot of fun and educational. Just from some of the posts I have read on this forum, it appears to me that there is a lot of good people on here that believe in being a good example for our kids. Hopefully our leading by example will rub off on others.
You nailed it.

I dont take offense as people can do what they want, this is America. But at this type of event I find it is completely unnecessary and would most likely not purchase that type of beverage, at that time. Now if vendors want to drink it up with customers at an after party in a restaurant or conference room, like at Jeep Beach, bring it on.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 01:33:44 PM »
I think I may have worded it wrong by saying I was offended. I meant more along the lines of being disappointed in seeing it. I like to put back a few beer myself, so I'm not anti-alcohol or anything. I just think events like that don't need to be associated with drinking.

Jeepjunky68, that's exactly how I feel about it. I'm lucky and got into wheeling at a young age, and my first car was a wrangler. While all my friends were doing questionable things, I was out wheeling and staying out of trouble. Alot of parents these days don't know how, or care to teach their kids the things wheeling teaches you. I try to give back when I can, and have helped a few of the neighborhood kids work on their rigs. I have no problem teaching the guys that will some day be the future of our sport
2000 TJ

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM