BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Where to buy steel  (Read 2890 times)

Offline LUVNMY06TJ

• Visitor
Where to buy steel
« on: September 15, 2014, 04:54:49 AM »
I'm in the market for some steel and DOM tubing. The problem is I have never bought steel so I have no idea where to begin looking. What should I pay? Does anyone have any leftover steel they'd be wiling to donate or sell for a discounted price? I'm attempting to fab my own rock sliders (with help of course) and I live in Columbus but am willing to drive if the price is right. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Also, this seemed to be the best place for this thread. If it's not please adjust.
Jim

"Never leave a downed wheeler."

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Where to buy steel
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 07:34:23 AM »
Steel, such as square tubing, round tubing, and angle iron, is usually sold for better prices as "sticks" that are between 20' and 24' in length.  Some places will charge you to cut a stick down, but it is worth paying to not have so much metal hanging out of the back of the vehicle.  The place I deal with charges per cut ($2.50, iirc).  If you know you need two 4' pieces out of a 20' stick have them cut it at the 8' mark instead of the 10' mark. 
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 09:30:54 AM »
The place I get steel is a "backwoods" steelyard owned by Leonard Looper and mainly run by his grandson.

They cut the length you want on the spot with an oxy torch, so I usually ask for an inch longer than required in order to cut off the slag.  They pretty much only have hot-rolled steel, but a good selection of sizes including square tube.  In this case I'd figure out the total length of square tube needed for the project and get single pieces that can be cut apart with a chop saw, as long as it fits in the truck.

For the step, I'd get 3" wide rectangular tube.  Measure the space between the tires and allow 6" clearance on each end.  Allow more if you plan to go up in tire size in the future.

For the supports use 2" square thick wall tube.  Measure from the frame to the side of the body and add a couple of inches, then multiply by 4.

For the clamping plates, measure the vertical size of the frame and add 2" for the height.  I'd make them 4" wide.  You need 8 of these.  I mentioned 1/2" plate, but 3/8 is thick enough.

Then measure the thickness of the frame  and add 1.5" to get the length of the bolts you'll use.  1/2" grade 8 x 16, plus nuts.

If you get me the measurements I'll call Loopers and get you a quote on the steel.  The bolts and nuts you can get at Tractor Supply.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline URBAN ASSAULT

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 12:22:32 PM »
Contact @Blue J
His name is Jim and he gave me an unbeatable deal on DOM when I made my links (2" x .25" Round)
IMS steel is in Atlanta so it was an easy pickup for me.  I would still contact him regarding possible shipping options.  They supply steel to other vendors all over the Southeast.

Follow this thread for a little more info:
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php?topic=12077.0
My 4Runner and I are quickly becoming dirty ol' men. More attitude and less flexibility every year.

Steve

Offline 94xjsport94

• Visitor
  • Cherocar
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 12:51:39 PM »
I have a price sheet from my local place from last week. They'll sell 10' minimums and cut it once for free. Anything over $6 a foot can be bought by the foot as long as it's in stock, if not they order a stick and you have to buy the whole thing. Prices are meh, but it's all I have locally. Do you have a total list of what all you need?
Will

94 seXj

Offline kullas

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 04:59:58 PM »
I get most of all my steel at the local metal recyclers, I buy it by the pound $14 a hundred.
The only bad side to it is you are limited to what they have

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 05:18:51 PM »
I get most of all my steel at the local metal recyclers, I buy it by the pound $14 a hundred.
Is it usually clean or do you have to sand off rust?
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 06:25:37 PM »
I have a price sheet from my local place from last week. They'll sell 10' minimums and cut it once for free. Anything over $6 a foot can be bought by the foot as long as it's in stock, if not they order a stick and you have to buy the whole thing. Prices are meh, but it's all I have locally. Do you have a total list of what all you need?
I'm interested in comparing prices...please post it up.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 06:26:22 PM »
Hot rolled has mill scale which generally prevents a lot of rust.  In any case Rustoleum covers it all.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline kullas

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 06:32:02 PM »
Is it usually clean or do you have to sand off rust?
Just depends on what they get in. Rust for me is not a problem pitting is a problem sometimes, just depends on what you are building.

Offline 94xjsport94

• Visitor
  • Cherocar
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 02:13:57 AM »

I'm interested in comparing prices...please post it up.
It's seven pages long. What do you want to know?
Will

94 seXj

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 05:19:59 AM »
1.75" x .120" Dom
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK