BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Trans or T-case noise?  (Read 194 times)

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
Trans or T-case noise?
« on: September 24, 2014, 02:21:55 PM »
I have an 03 KJ 3.7/42rle/np231 with almost 200k miles. Its making this humming/groaning type noise that starts at 20mph and gets progressively louder, like a set of mud tires. It originally came with the NP242 full time tc, which was replaced with a lower mileage NP231. The noise was there before I swapped the tc, but I did notice some metal in the trans pan when I installed the TransGo shift kit. With the trans in drive/tc in neutral, I had someone apply throttle until I heard the noise. The noise is coming from somewhere between the rear of the trans and middle of the tc. I'm also hearing a clicking sound from the middle of the tc(chain stretch?), and there's a slight bit of play in the front and rear output shafts. I've never run the tc in neutral and trans in gear so I don't know if that clicking is normal, I don't hear it when I'm driving. Looking at the fsm, it looks like there's just the trans output bearing and tc input bearing. It doesn't specify whether the extension shaft has bearings, but from the picture doesn't look like it. What's the chances my old NP242 and new tc had bad input bearings? How common is it for a trans output bearing to be bad? I guess I could always pull the tc and put the trans in gear and see if the noise is still there. Is anyone familiar with the inside of a 42rle? I should mention that my new tc has the correct input shaft.
2000 TJ
ATK 4.7 stroker, Bds coils, disco's, 1" bl, 33x10.50 km2, soft 8's, RE LCA's, Skyjacker shocks

Offline 94xjsport94

• Visitor
  • Cherocar
Re: Trans or T-case noise?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 02:49:04 PM »
I don't know anything about 42RLE's, but a 231 isn't complicated. Dropping it and putting the Trans in gear isn't a bad idea, but there might be an easier way.
Will

94 seXj

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 05:29:16 PM »
Yea, I've been inside quite a few 231's so it isn't a big deal. It might be a good idea to rebuild it anyways, especially if the chain is making the clicking noise. I actually did an sye and full rebuild on a buddy's 231. I did a lot of Google searching and couldn't find anything on a 42rle bearing issue. In fact I couldn't find anything on any auto trans bearing issue, so it could be very rare.
2000 TJ
ATK 4.7 stroker, Bds coils, disco's, 1" bl, 33x10.50 km2, soft 8's, RE LCA's, Skyjacker shocks

Offline 94xjsport94

• Visitor
  • Cherocar
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 11:26:18 AM »
There might be someone with a greater knowledge of 42RLE's and your set up on a liberty specific forum. I know that with XJ's there are a few people who know them inside and out on Cherokee Forum.
Will

94 seXj

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 12:49:39 PM »
Yea, a lot of the kj guys are what I'd consider beginner wrenchers. There isn't very much knowledge on the kj forums beyond the basic suspension stuff. I couldn't even find anyone that knew if there was a difference in tc input shafts between the different models. Nobody really gets into modding kj's like they do in the tj/xj world.
2000 TJ

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM