BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Thanks Chrysler  (Read 206 times)

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
Thanks Chrysler
« on: November 11, 2014, 10:14:57 AM »
My wife has an '11 Grand Cherokee 2WD Hemi.  Early in the year it started showing the typical signs of a bad TIPM.  It was out of warranty and the cost to replace the TIPM was around $1500.  Sure, I could have bought a new one and installed but the dealer still needs to use their scan tool to program it to the vehicle.  I know a lot of people at Palmer and my guy up there sold me a 3 year MaxCare (almost bumper to bumper) / unlimited mileage warranty for $1700 - basically his cost (~$2700 retail?).  They replaced the TIPM under warranty and the WK2 has been running great ever since.  They even perform some TSB flash updates to the ECM and Transmission (shifts 1000 times better and no stumble).

I got a recall letter yesterday for the TIPM.  Gee, could Chrysler taken any longer to issue a recall when they've known this problem existed for 3 years.  There was a class action lawsuit for the issue that was filed in August which is probably the only reason they issued the recall.  I know early JK's had TIPM issues as well.

We plan to keep the WK2 for a while.  It's 4 years old and has 55k miles and has been a great vehicle.  It's nice that we have 3 more years of coverage without worries of any repairs, but in hind sight, I'd rather have my $1700.

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
Re: Thanks Chrysler
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 09:56:19 AM »
Good friend of mine actually traded his '13 in becuase TIPM and electrical issues kept popping up.  Multiple times he got stuck and it wouldn't even start.  He was going the lemon law route and got a good deal on a new Ram from Ed Voyles and decided to go that way.

We came within hours of trading her '11 Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi on a '14 Grand Cherokee Overland V6.  But we went through the numbers one last time and didn't want to give up the equity in the '11 and other than the TIPM, it's been a great vehicle.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM