BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: POR-15  (Read 735 times)

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
Re: POR-15
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 08:14:48 AM »

Now that's some good detailed info.

Does his stuff go over rust and stop it?

From what I noticed on my frame where it peeled up or was scraped off from rock rash, the best way I would describe it is it "encapsulates" the rust. I cleaned it with the marine clean (which like Tony said wasn't anything special) knocked off the heavy rust and then brushed over the light surface rust. The rust was still there when the POR peeled. Seemed like it bonded to the rust and sealed it off.

To the OP, you said it was an 02, so unless it is heavily rusted like it came from up north I would probably just use regular paint. You can buy rustoleum or other brands in quarts instead of rattle cans so you could brush it on and not have to worry about overspray all over the bottom of the tub.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 08:17:55 AM by Scott F. »

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 09:12:04 AM »
Make sure frame is completely dry, and try to remove any grease.  Make sure no water/sweat gets into the paint during application.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline Grant.Monty

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 01:32:45 PM »

Now that's some good detailed info.

Does his stuff go over rust and stop it?

From what I noticed on my frame where it peeled up or was scraped off from rock rash, the best way I would describe it is it "encapsulates" the rust. I cleaned it with the marine clean (which like Tony said wasn't anything special) knocked off the heavy rust and then brushed over the light surface rust. The rust was still there when the POR peeled. Seemed like it bonded to the rust and sealed it off.

To the OP, you said it was an 02, so unless it is heavily rusted like it came from up north I would probably just use regular paint. You can buy rustoleum or other brands in quarts instead of rattle cans so you could brush it on and not have to worry about overspray all over the bottom of the tub.
Yeah, I am just looking for a way to prevent rust.

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 02:48:09 PM »
I think POR 15 would be overkill for rust prevention. Rust-oleum has some much cheaper products for lightly rusted surfaces, or to prevent rust from forming.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 02:56:47 PM »
Are the tubs and/or frames galvanized starting with the TJ?

Offline Grant.Monty

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
Are the tubs and/or frames galvanized starting with the TJ?
I think the frames are

Offline Grant.Monty

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 03:17:51 PM »
Does anyone think the rustoleum protective enamel will work

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 03:32:24 PM »
Does anyone think the rustoleum protective enamel will work
yes. If you spray,  mask everything off well. If you brush, I recommend using a roller on the larger sections to get a smoother looking finish.

*Prep work is critical to a successful paint job. Clean and degrease thoroughly

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 03:56:28 PM »

[/quote]
yes. If you spray,  mask everything off well. If you brush, I recommend using a roller on the larger sections to get a smoother looking finish.

*Prep work is critical to a successful paint job. Clean and degrease thoroughly
[/quote]

this ^^^ prep is most important, but at the same time NOTHING will stand up to a 4500lb rig getting drug over rocks. not even the almighty powdercoat. Best and easiest way to prep is to go to your local parts house and ask for a couple "red" scuff pads, they are very abrasive, so dont hit anything you dont want to scratch. Get under the rig with a hose and a bottle of dawn dish detergent and scuff like theres no tomorrow, then when you think you are done, go over all of it again, then you should be good. If you use the POR, just go at it, but if you are going to rattle can it, get a product that either says "etching" or "direct to metal" either of these will bite into the surface and make your topcoat of whatever color you choose last a lil longer. Use light coats too, this is where everyone screws up, dont get in a hurry, take your time. If the tub thing still bothers you, ask your dad or parents or whatever if you can just unbolt the tub and lift it far enough up to get a lil more room. Good luck
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline Grant.Monty

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 07:28:23 PM »
Last question, does anyone know how to clean the inside of the frame? I am finding a lot of dirt and sand in there.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2014, 07:34:31 PM »
Last question, does anyone know how to clean the inside of the frame? I am finding a lot of dirt and sand in there.

Never heard that question before.  Why?

Can you give us some history of the Jeep? 
Does it need of this? 
It should be rust resistant for ever in the south. 
Did it come from the North?

Offline Grant.Monty

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2014, 08:39:42 PM »

Never heard that question before.  Why?

Can you give us some history of the Jeep? 
Does it need of this? 
It should be rust resistant for ever in the south. 
Did it come from the North?
Well first I stuck my finger in the hole in the frame it, & I found a lot of dirt and sand . The previous owner hunted with it in Texas and that's how I think all the dirt and sand got in there. I'm not sure if it is it's a big deal or not I'm just trying to be cautious,

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM