BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: POR-15  (Read 736 times)

Offline Grant.Monty

• Visitor
POR-15
« on: December 11, 2014, 07:52:37 PM »
Hey guys and gals,

Has anyone out there used por15 on their jeep? I am wondering if it is any good. Also is there any way you can apply it to the frame without taking the whole tub off? (I am asking this because I am only 16 and my parents won't let me take the tub off)

Thanks,  Grant

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: POR-15
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 08:01:49 PM »
Hi grant,  i'm not sure... what model jeep do you have?  Maybe someone here can help, but you should try jeepforum.com as well.

Offline Grant.Monty

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 08:21:25 PM »
I have an '02  TJ Sahara

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 08:36:35 PM »
POR 15 is a great product. You can brush it on, so no need to remove the tub. Can't really say I blame your parents for that one //OLDSKOOL//
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 08:39:14 PM »
Just like in The Waterboy, "what momma don't know won't hurt her". 

Parents don't always know best and the best way to learn is to just do something.  So, get them to go away for a weekend and then do it.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Grant.Monty

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 08:53:02 PM »
Hi grant,  i'm not sure... what model jeep do you have?  Maybe someone here can help, but you should try jeepforum.com as well.
And I already posted on the forum and they said it was good but no one told me if I have to take the frame off or not.

Offline Grant.Monty

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 08:54:40 PM »
POR 15 is a great product. You can brush it on, so no need to remove the tub. Can't really say I blame your parents for that one //OLDSKOOL//
How much do you think I need to do the whole frame?

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 09:07:41 PM »
I used one quart and it did my whole frame. No need to take the tub off, brush it on and around any body mounts or other items in the way. Tape off anything you don't want it to get on (body mount bushings, e brake cable, etc).

Two recommendations
1. Wear long pants, long sleeves, hat, gloves, and preferable a respirator if you have one. The fumes are pretty strong and if it gets on your skin you will have fun trying to get it off.
2. I did mine when it was in a grass back yard so I didn't worry about drips, but if you do it in say your parents garage make sure you throw a tarp or cardboard or something down.

It is not UV resistant so the spots that see direct sunlight will need to be top coated with spray paint or something else. Also is goes on thick but I found it has a tendency to peel and flake off after time. That may be related to the the UV on mine though bc I didn't put anything over top of it.  It's a messy job but once you get under there and get going it will go quick. Plan on using the whole container once you open it.

Offline Grant.Monty

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 09:19:55 PM »
I used one quart and it did my whole frame. No need to take the tub off, brush it on and around any body mounts or other items in the way. Tape off anything you don't want it to get on (body mount bushings, e brake cable, etc).

Two recommendations
1. Wear long pants, long sleeves, hat, gloves, and preferable a respirator if you have one. The fumes are pretty strong and if it gets on your skin you will have fun trying to get it off.
2. I did mine when it was in a grass back yard so I didn't worry about drips, but if you do it in say your parents garage make sure you throw a tarp or cardboard or something down.

It is not UV resistant so the spots that see direct sunlight will need to be top coated with spray paint or something else. Also is goes on thick but I found it has a tendency to peel and flake off after time. That may be related to the the UV on mine though bc I didn't put anything over top of it.  It's a messy job but once you get under there and get going it will go quick. Plan on using the whole container once you open it.
One question, did you use their prep setup with the marine wash and metal prep spray?

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 10:23:37 PM »

Two recommendations

One question, did you use their prep setup with the marine wash and metal prep spray?

I used both those products on an axle. I wasn't overly impressed with either one....I would just use a good degreaser and then wash and rinse well. 

Offline 94xjsport94

• Visitor
  • Cherocar
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 01:26:39 AM »

Two recommendations

This. I painted the bottom of 3 2500lb bread dough mixers with it at work to prevent rust and corrosion. Great product.

I just like rattle cans on the Jeep though.
Will

94 seXj

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 07:55:36 AM »

Two recommendations

Now that's some good detailed info.

Does his stuff go over rust and stop it?

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM