BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: At what point should I invest in dual batteries or/and a high output alternator.  (Read 788 times)

Offline OscarMike2.0

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
After delaying getting a dual battery setup and High Output alternator for a few months I finally decided it was probably time to get one of the two or both after my two most recent mods a dual ARB compressor and a Sub/Amp setup which will suck up even more power from the battery. Im pretty concerned about coming out to the jeep one day and it just being dead.. What will make the most difference a dual battery setup or a High Output alternator? Or will I be fine with what I have and am I worried for nothing?

Below is a list of all the electrical accessories on my jeep..
- 3 Rigid SR-Series backup lights
- Spod which runs all of the Rigid Lighting
- Trucklites
- Dual Arb Compressor
- 2000 Watt Amp with 2 12" subs (with a capacitor so the lights wont dim when it hits hard)
- 8,000 Pound Warn winch
-Will   

They hate us cause the anus

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
Leave the vehicle running, turn on each piece of equipment, and measure across the battery with a volt meter.  If you're still measuring over 13.5 volts, than you're alternator should be heavy enough. 

Personally, I think dual batteries aren't needed unless you're running accessories a lot without the engine running.

Offline OscarMike2.0

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Leave the vehicle running, turn on each piece of equipment, and measure across the battery with a volt meter.  If you're still measuring over 13.5 volts, than you're alternator should be heavy enough. 

Personally, I think dual batteries aren't needed unless you're running accessories a lot without the engine running.

Alright good to know Ill go do that tomorrow. I never turn on accessories when my jeep is not running because im pretty paranoid about it dying.
-Will   

Offline BigMike

• Visitor

Alright good to know Ill go do that tomorrow. I never turn on accessories when my jeep is not running because im pretty paranoid about it dying.

All of the LED stuff draws hardly anything, less than stock lights.  The amp is the only thing that I'm not sure about but you can always turn off the radio when winching and be fine.  Good luck.

Offline OscarMike2.0

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Yeah I wired the amp to a kill switch so that also could work but im always trying to plan for the worse case scenario.
-Will   

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
Is your JKU a rubi? Rubi's come with a 90 amp alternator to begin with. You won't find much more than that to fit in the given space. I'm not sure if the sports get that big an alternator or not. I just know my rubi did.
Marc, Tracy, Jordan, and Tyler Allen

"Some women are like scooters, you have fun ridding them, you just wouldn't want your buddies to see you ridding them......" - A very wise man.

Offline Bruce

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
I ran dual batteries in the TJ for quite some time.  Never needed it.  Good insurance, sure, worth it, I doubt it.  If your out with others most of the time, you have a spare battery...

JHMO
Bruce
03 TJR
04.5 Dodge CTD
05 LJR
2017 JKU

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread

Is your JKU a rubi? Rubi's come with a 90 amp alternator to begin with. You won't find much more than that to fit in the given space. I'm not sure if the sports get that big an alternator or not. I just know my rubi did.

What does the non rubi come with?
Jay

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
Not sure that's why I asked.
Marc, Tracy, Jordan, and Tyler Allen

"Some women are like scooters, you have fun ridding them, you just wouldn't want your buddies to see you ridding them......" - A very wise man.

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread

Not sure that's why I asked.

Wow, I can't read
Jay

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
There isn't a need. In my ultra 4 race car I'm only designed for 1 battery, but will have a better alternator. That's designed in case it's rolled over I can get it back over without it being dead.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline OscarMike2.0

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Not to sure where you got that info from but I hear that the stock alternator gives 140-160... and there is no difference between alternators in a sport vs a rubi...
-Will   

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM