BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: At what point should I invest in dual batteries or/and a high output alternator.  (Read 789 times)

Offline OscarMike2.0

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
I ran dual batteries in the TJ for quite some time.  Never needed it.  Good insurance, sure, worth it, I doubt it.  If your out with others most of the time, you have a spare battery...

JHMO

Yeah Im looking for the insurance since my jeep is my DD.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:59:21 PM by OscarMike2.0 »
-Will   

They hate us cause the anus

Offline OscarMike2.0

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
There isn't a need. In my ultra 4 race car I'm only designed for 1 battery, but will have a better alternator. That's designed in case it's rolled over I can get it back over without it being dead.
Yes but your ultra 4 race car doesn't have anywhere near the same amount of accesories as my jeep..
-Will   

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
There used to be. .. it was one of the upgrades to the Rubicon.

Offline OscarMike2.0

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
There used to be. .. it was one of the upgrades to the Rubicon.

All I know is that there is no difference in the alternators for my year 2013 because I also thought at first there was a difference between the two and called my dealer to see about it and was informed there was no difference.
-Will   

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
There isn't a need. In my ultra 4 race car I'm only designed for 1 battery, but will have a better alternator. That's designed in case it's rolled over I can get it back over without it being dead.
Yes but your ultra 4 race car doesn't have anywhere near the same amount of accesories as my jeep..
It runs 2 radiator fans, oil cooler fan, trans cooler fan, fuel pumps that have to pump up to an equivalent of 900 hp, communications, future gps, engine, lights when necessary, and a lot of winching when necessary. It runs a descent amount.

I think you would be better served with an AMG battery.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline OscarMike2.0

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
It runs 2 radiator fans, oil cooler fan, trans cooler fan, fuel pumps that have to pump up to an equivalent of 900 hp, communications, future gps, engine, lights when necessary, and a lot of winching when necessary. It runs a descent amount.

Well my bad I had the wrong understanding of an ultra 4 race car. I have considered the sears die hard and might just end up doing that and seeing how it works out.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:13:58 PM by OscarMike2.0 »
-Will   

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER

Well my bad I had the wrong understanding of an ultra 4 race car. I have considered the sears die hard and might just end up doing that and seeing how it works out.
I have a sears in my tj and that's what's going into the u4 car as well.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline OscarMike2.0

• C.O.R.E MEMBER

I have a sears in my tj and that's what's going into the u4 car as well.

Alright good to know. Thanks for the input.
-Will   

Offline Bruce

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Bruce
03 TJR
04.5 Dodge CTD
05 LJR
2017 JKU

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
My buggy has 2 batteries along with a Painless automatic switch.  It was built with the 2 battery setup and I added the switcher.  Main advantages are more power for long winch pulls, plus it won't let the battery used for starting run down.  And if the starter battery does go bad you can swap over the secondary to get going.

I doubt I'd bother with a second battery for a JK if the vehicle is not built for one. 
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline thetastelingers

• Visitor
I read somewhere that someone put a Durango alternator on their jeep. It is an exact fit. 160 amp.

Here you go http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/160-amp-durango-conversion-74732.html
------------------------------------------------------------------
If at once you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

Lytles_fjc

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM