BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Info on teraflex belly up skids  (Read 1055 times)

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Info on teraflex belly up skids
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 10:08:50 AM »
  I also purchased a Advance Adapters shifter bracket for about $35

I had been looking at the $65 brackets and been putting off buying one.  After reading this I squeezed in the bracket with my front shock order this morning. Shocks in 2-4 days, bracket in 7-10 days (long ride from Cali).
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 10:16:04 AM »
I gotta get a shift bracket for my 4x. Should have kept my Hurst short throw shifter too.
I've grown tired of this.

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 04:18:03 PM »
Thanks to you Krawler, I am going to have to pickup and install a TFBU this weekend on my TJ.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Chris Hyde

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 04:36:19 PM »
Thanks to you Krawler, I am going to have to pickup and install a TFBU this weekend on my TJ.

Wutt Dat Be?

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 04:41:06 PM »

Wutt Dat Be?

Teraflex Belly-up. I noticed that he picked one up off Southern Jeeps.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 04:50:14 PM »
The guy I was dealin with has dropped out of communication. >:( I can't stand dealing with people like that. Hey I want it... ok... hello??? Where did you go dude? Oh well, I have now moved on to the 33 engineering skid setup. A bit pricey but I think this is the route I am going now. I like the design the best and the easy way you can access your trans etc. Anybody got a hook up??? Hope to have enough $ before our Tellico trip in June. No more hang ups for me.

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 06:07:32 PM »
I'm gonna buy their trans mount and make a completely flat skid out of 1/4".  I wanted to buy their skid, but that's just way too much moneys for me. They unnecessarily lose clearance by having that extra cross member too.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 08:52:55 PM »
Yeah, I think if you could just get a sheet of 3/16 steel and have a cut out for the front drive shaft then you would be fine. I may go this route since I have a great fab guy. Just use the crossmember and mount then make a flat plate. Good call!

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 09:06:29 PM »
Yeah, I think if you could just get a sheet of 3/16 steel and have a cut out for the front drive shaft then you would be fine. I may go this route since I have a great fab guy. Just use the crossmember and mount then make a flat plate. Good call!

Wait, can you buy the cross member separately from the skid? I thought they came together.....

I was talking about buying this:

http://www.offroadtoystore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=33-1650

and then using a piece of flat 1/4" as the skid and it will hang only 1/4" below the rails (depending on when the t-case contacts the body with 1.25" bl and the 33 mount.)  The 33 crossmember is what makes it hang lower than it potentially could. Don't get me wrong, the angles on that thing are awesome. It looks like you would slide over anything, but I think I can make a pretty darn nice skid for almost nothing (except my time)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 09:16:37 AM »
from this angle it looks like that guy should notch the back of his plate for the DS
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 10:34:56 AM »
I thought I saw somewhere that you could buy the crossmember seperately. I am looking. As for the mount you mention. What exactly does that do. Just eliminate the rubber isolator mount? Not sure. If I could see one of those 33 crossmembers and how they mount etc. I know I could make one.

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008, 11:59:20 AM »
The stock tranny mount has all that dang stuff (mostly rubber) between the transmission and where it actually bolts to the skid. The 33 engineering mount gives you another 1 1/2" of clearance to push your belly pan up further. So if you simply removed the stock mount and replaced it with this one, you could leave your drivetrain in the same place but be able to raise your skid another 1 1/2" .... This is what allows you to go higher than skids that use the stock mount (Teraflex, Skyjacker, ext.) I guess you could use it with those, but you'd have to drill new mounting holes. And also, to get the maximum clearance out of 33 engineering's skid (1.25" below frame rail), you have to buy the skid and crossmember, 33 engineering's mount, and have a 2" body lift.

With their setup, the drivetrain will mount just above the frame rails and then that crossmember and skid will leave 1.25" hanging down. Not that much, but why pay all that money for less clearance? I guess the crossmember is kinda cool so you don't have to support th drivetrain when you drop the skid. My plan is this: 1.25" body lift (corresponding MM lift), sye and shaft (already got those), 33 Engineering trans mount, and a piece of 1/4" to go to town on. From the other guys who have done this set-up, they just clear the body with the completely flat skid. Only one guy as having contact, and he was fine with a couple of washers.

Check out the chart at the bottom of this page that shows the different set-ups with 33's skid.

http://www.offroadtoystore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=33-1650
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM