BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Info on teraflex belly up skids  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
Info on teraflex belly up skids
« on: April 10, 2008, 09:57:56 AM »
Okay, deal of a century I have found. Guy has a teraflex bellyup skid for sale for $75!!! I am buying it but does anyone have one or know anything about them. I heard about the exhaust mods etc. I have all the needed hardware to make it work. SYE kit, ML, BL, and adjustable upper control arms in the rear. I am thinking for now till I can get a trans shifter adapter and exhaust work done that I can use my trans lower kit and use it ok without any problems. Anything is better than what is on there now.
I've grown tired of this.

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Info on teraflex belly up skids
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 11:22:33 AM »
They sux, your going to hav nothing but trouble. When it shows up at your house have the ups guy ship it to my house and I will send you your money back. :)

Wish I had some more usefull first hand experience to tell you about it but I do not.

IF you decide that you do not want to deal with it, I will buy it from you at a reasonable price.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 11:45:17 AM »
It shouldn't be that bad. You've got everything you need besides the t-case linkage. I bought SKyjacker's for like $60. You could get lucky and your linkage won't bind up, but if it does you can manual shift the t-case pretty easily from underneath if you need to wait before you buy new linkage.

The problems I've seen with exhaust is that they will hang lower than the new skid so you gotta address the exhaust hangers or buy a new, low profile muffler.  :)

EDIT: The guy who just joined from Florida, camper, as done the Teraflex Belly-up. He has a write-up on the install on Jeep Forum. I'll see if I can find it for ya.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 11:48:38 AM by Will »
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 11:55:50 AM »
For $75 I can't even replace my beat to crap skid now. I figure 3/16 steel will out do my whimpy skid anyday. Plus I can still gain an 1" or more even with the drop hardware on it.

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 12:27:01 PM »
For $75 I can't even replace my beat to crap skid now. I figure 3/16 steel will out do my whimpy skid anyday. Plus I can still gain an 1" or more even with the drop hardware on it.

man... run it flush with the frame rails first and see what you have. Check the tailpipe and make sure your clearance is good, and check if your t-case still shifts good. Heck, 2 more inches of clearance is worth manually shifting the t-case from under the Jeep (at least to me) and you can get your convenience back by getting the new linkage set-up. AA sells one too. Check theres out.

If you don't wanna do that, you can lower it an inch and your linkage should be fine.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 02:12:02 PM »
Yeah, I am thinking I will have to drop it till I get the trans linkage bracket on. I think skyjackers is the cheapest. But until I get the goods I will just run it with the drop unless it works by some crazy act of God. I never have luck when it comes to these things. Either works or doesn't. Did you find the writeup?

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 02:56:25 PM »
Sorry I had to go to class. Give me a second. I'll find it. Great find by the way!  :)
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 03:04:32 PM »
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=495065

I knowI 've seen more pictures of the skid in one of his threads. Maybe he'll chime in soon and give you a better link.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 04:24:35 PM »
Cool. I can't wait to work on this thing.

Chris Hyde

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 08:20:54 PM »
Nice!  If you have everything you need, go ahead and spring for the Skyjacker TC linkage relocation.  It gets the mount off the body.  Thats what Slippery has in his TJ.  ;D

Offline camper

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 09:18:40 PM »
hey fellas...I just noticed the topic and figured I'd lurk.  Will was good enough to mention he read something I posted on jeepforum.com.  I found this georgia site a while back while following a discussion on some other board.  I signed up a few days ago.  I'm Steve.

This is my teraflex belly-up when I was trying to get it to fit.  The problem I had was when I finally had the body lift and motor mount lift squared away and then lifted the skid with my floor jack....there was unwanted contact.  The red arrows point to a reinforced lateral ridge in the skid that runs from one frame rail to the other.  It contacts the transmission bracket that you bolt the rubber transmission mount to.  Also, the back corner of the transfer case would rest on the belly-up skid. 

I ended up making some spacers out of scrap bar stock to get more lift from the transmission mount.  The topic link that Will posted above tells the whole story.  The skid works fine since then, but it was a lot of "little things" to get it to fit.  You have to remember, the skid will raise the transmission and transfer case a couple inches.  This will have a big impact on the rear drive-shaft angle to the rear end.  You will have to be able to dial up the rear pinion.

I later ordered a teraflex oil pan skid and transmission skid to "compliment" this belly-up.  It was a disappointing effort.  I eventually made the parts work, but I had to drill and grind and improvise.

regarding the skid that "krawler" is looking at....I think there's a difference in a YJ skid and TJ skid.  I don't know what the difference is.  And I read somewhere that the TJ skid was improved at some point.  I also read it was easy to bend, but I think you have to recognize the weight and cost vs. a thicker skid.  So you need to know if this used $75 skid will fit your jeep.  And the skid may be bent from use.  Still, that's a good price.

When you purchase it new, it comes with two motor mount spacers to give your factory motor mounts about 3/4 inch lift.  I ended up installing MORE 1" mounts.  You have to have a short shaft SYE so your rear drive shaft will clear the back of the skid.  I also purchased a Advance Adapters shifter bracket for about $35 from "offroadtoystore.com".

Also, I only recently started messing with a jeep.  So I've been reading a lot of internet chatter.  Apparently, many veterans don't like teraflex as a company.  I don't know the story behind this.  You pick up on this by reading between the lines.

I'll stop for a minute here.  Before I go, I just noticed that I now can see a few more topic sections here.  I guess I was accepted.  Thanks for that.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 09:21:21 PM by camper »
Steve....'98 TJ sport

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 11:24:06 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I have heard the same about teraflex. I figure I need a new skid anyway and for $75 I can't go wrong. I can make it work for sure.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM