BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Drive shaft question  (Read 403 times)

Offline Alex

• Visitor
Drive shaft question
« on: April 10, 2008, 04:45:51 PM »
I am still running the stock shaft in by jeep and while i was taking some measurements i noticed that there is no splines showing on my tail shaft.  I though that didnt look right.  Shouldn't there be at least a inch or so of spline showing so that it has some adjustment?  I guess i just never looked at it before.

Offline Will

• Visitor
Re: Drive shaft question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 05:07:25 PM »
Mine does not have any showing. My entire rear output shaft is completely covered by the boot. I don't believe it is adjustable. I don't know how that fact escaped me if it can be.  :-\
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
You are both at the limit of the splines. If you go any higher or serious wheelin you run the risk of breaking or having it slip out under full droop. I know you guys know you need an sye kit and new driveshaft. ::)
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 11:40:27 PM »
You are both at the limit of the splines. If you go any higher or serious wheelin you run the risk of breaking or having it slip out under full droop. I know you guys know you need an sye kit and new driveshaft. ::)

So how does that slip yoke actually work?
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Alex

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 11:51:08 PM »
Yea i am a little confused?  I am at about 3 inches of lift if even.  I will not be doing a SYE anytime soon.  I did get a drive shaft that is three inches longer than the one in my jeep.  So i should be able to get 4 inch stretch out of my jeep.

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 11:56:58 PM »

I don't think I'm close to having the yoke slip off the output shaft splines. I've got a full 1 inch drop on so it's the same angles as a 2" budget boost. A little less because my springs are settled pretty hard in the rear from my heavy bumper.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 10:19:32 AM »
Slip yokes work just like they sound. Driveshaft end slips in and out of the other end (where the boot is). You can check by grabbing the driveshaft near the boot and wiggling it back and forth. I had some play in mine so I know I did not have much shaft left in there. I would check that. You guys will be fine. If you are wheelin it hard I would replace it. It is a weak spot on the Jeep.
I've grown tired of this.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM