BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Dream Theater  (Read 1372 times)

Chris Hyde

Re: Dream Theater
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 05:35:10 PM »
Portnoy.........WHO????????
Petrucci.........WHO???????

Are you talking about famous people or guys from Jersey' who drive Camaro's.

I wouldnt expect less from an avid follower of Justin Timberlake and Josh Groban.

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 05:37:58 PM »
Portnoy.........WHO????????
Petrucci.........WHO???????

Are you talking about famous people or guys from Jersey' who drive Camaro's.

Josh Groban.

There you go with another no namer...
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

WOLVERINE

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2008, 05:40:37 PM »
Meh, I'll stick to my hippy-jam-band-music and my classic rock/classic-hippy-jam-band-music.

I used to be a serious music fan. But, too many years of shitty, boring, Emo Jerk-offs, and 5000 MTV sound alike shit bands with nasal voices and whinny songs about ex girlfriends did me in. There has'nt been a good solid band since "Rage" broke up..

WOLVERINE

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 05:52:03 PM »
LMAO!  These guys were arranging music before James Hetfield was a seedling in the music industry.

Ask ANY of todays guitarists who their influence is..........one will be John Petrucci.
Ask ANY of todays drummers who their influence is..........one will be Mike Portnoy.
Ask ANY of todays bassists who their influence is..........one will be John Myung.

Thats odd considering Metallica were formed in 1981 and Dream Theater in 1985 !!!!!

On top of being the GREATEST ROCK BAND THAT EVER EXISTED..They must also have the ability of time travel. right?  Because I dont understand how a band formed in 1985 can be around before a band formed in 1981.

Does Dream Theater spin around the stage real fast like Superman did?  Or are they so AWESOME at playing music that the "GODS OF ROCK" gave them cool time travel rings...How do they do it.

WOLVERINE

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 05:53:22 PM »
Maybe they have the real PICK OF DESTINY.

Daniel

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 06:07:46 PM »
Well, I can't say that Mike Portnoy shaped the way I play drums, due to the fact that I don't listen to them.  However, I'm not gonna bash him, because he's better than I am.  Neal Peart however is an awesome drummer.  They don't call him "The Professor" for nothing.  I like to watch drummers with crazy, elaborate and complicated drum fills, but for the most part, I like pretty simple semi-complicated stuff, like Nick Mason.  He's not the most technical drummer out there, but I could listen to him play drums all day long.  A few drummers I like are Chad Smith, Nick Mason, Neal Peart, and Pete McCarthy to name a few.  Now, there's many more out there that I like, but...

Offline DILYSI Dave

• Visitor
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2008, 06:58:42 PM »
My $.02 as a musician, though a hack one.

I respect what they can do, but I don't like listening to them.  It's musical masturbation.  Now, Dream Theater is far from the worst offender (I think Steve Vai holds that title still), but they are on the list. 

Soul > Technical Prowess.

Chris Hyde

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2008, 08:48:04 PM »
Will, our tickets and parking pass are in my hands!  ;D

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2008, 08:54:37 PM »
whoa, whoa, what the hell? ... haha where did all this hatin' start?

I play guitar, I've tried to play drums, and I respect the hell out of bass, and there has been no other band (Besides Rush when they want to) that makes me say "What the F***!" when I see what they're doing. They're all amazing. And I personally have a lot of fun when listening to and witnessing raw talent like their's. They will never be main stream because average folks will not recognize the ridiculous licks and rifts they're laying. That's why they're mostly only recognized by musicians who wish the could play that well. 

Now if we're talking about all around favorite bands... YES    I'll listen to that stuff all day

Thanks Chris, you're awesome.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2008, 09:00:59 PM »
To Each, His Own!

I will stick with great bands like Sgt KICK ASS  nln

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Daniel

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2008, 09:19:28 PM »
I will stick with great bands like Sgt KICK ASS  nln

MATT YOU ARE THE MAN!!!   {toast}

That's why they're mostly only recognized by musicians who wish the could play that well.

Which I guess is another reason that I don't listen to them.  I can listen to "amazing" musicians, but I'm not one to focus on being like someone so much that that's all I listen to.  I would love to be able to play like some many drummers, but it's not my style.  That's not how I play.  I will never play like Neal Peart and that's fine, because his style isn't mine or my band's style of music. 

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2008, 09:30:40 PM »
Nicely said. Wouldnt you rather be the guy everyone else is trying to sound like, instead of trying to sound like everyone else?

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM