BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Camping at Hard Labor Creek State Park  (Read 464 times)

RotorHead

Camping at Hard Labor Creek State Park
« on: April 20, 2008, 08:27:31 PM »
We just got back from a weekend at Hard Labor Creek State Park. I took my girlfriend, my daughter and one of her friends camping for the weekend. It's a nice park and it was our first time there. The best part is that it's only 45 minutes from home.

The park is located between Rutledge and Madison. We did a walking tour of Madison on Saturday. That was fun. Lot's of history. I found a house on Main Street for sale with 11 acres. The house or should I say mansion was built in the early 1800's and need extensive (millions) repairs and renovations. It would deffinately be one of the finest houses I've seen if restored. I can only imagine how awsome it was back in the day. The yard had a big grapevine area on one side and most of the back was covered with pecan treas. So Sorry, no camera on the walking trip. I guess I'll take responsibility for that.

After the walking tour, we drove over to the historic cemetary. I love cemetaries, because you get more of a feel for history. My mom's been dragging me to them for years. There were tons of civil war veterans and lots of headstones from the early 1800's. I even found one that was a revolutionary war veteran. That's a first for me.

If you go, try and get a spot down by the creek. We were on site 39. Try to get in that culdasac. The creek is the best for playing in there. It looks like GA red clay, but it's actually like pea gravel, but red clay colored. That stuff would just dig right out from under you if you were wheeling it in. They say that's likely how the creek got it's name. The settlers found it difficult to cross.

Scout had fun as always. See if you can find a picture of him without the bird in the picture.

Any way, I just thought I would share my weekend with you. Here are a few pics.

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x164/SeminoleMike/Hard%20Labor%20Creek%20State%20Park/?action=view&current=P4160068.jpg

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
Re: Camping at Hard Labor Creek State Park
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 08:36:23 PM »
Looks like a fun time. How much does it cost to camp there? Is there primitive camping? I gave up camping at state parks with only a tent on the camp site - still have to pay $20 a night even if you don't have a trailer or RV to hook up.
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

RotorHead

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 08:39:40 PM »
I think they have primative camping. The sites with hookups were $25.

Chris Hyde

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 08:40:05 PM »
Looks like some family fun!

PS, is that the same lady you were with at TruckFest? 

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 08:42:50 PM »
No bird, what do I win?  ;D

- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

BigJerm

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 08:51:50 PM »
looks like a cool place. I love me some history. If you have not been to Savannah I suggest it during the off season for tourist. I enjoyed all the history behind the town, the monuments and markers and the cemetary is something else.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 09:23:38 PM »
Jerm, you are right about Savannah! Beautiful town with beautiful houses around the squares and riverstreet. Awesome cemetaries too! You should make a point to get out to skidaway island sometime to camp there. I have to say that that campground is one of the most beautiful sites I have ever been to. Ancient hardwood oaks with moss everywhere and a very clean facility. That is where I go on my vacation every year... load up the pop up and head down to skidaway. Need to visit wormsloe cemetary too. Gorgeous place. I live about a 1/4 mile from fort yargo in winder, nice park. I recently discovered a cemetary on a hike with the kids and found a revolutionary war vet headstone. Cool to think about historical things like that! I enjoy history as well and appreciate the past for all the changes etc. I do have to say though... I bet that creek was on the nippy side this time of year. I miss my campin creek baths! Gotta get me a camp trip soon!
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Ben H.

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 10:10:37 PM »
Wow, Scout is laying down in dirt and mud? That never happens.
1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8

RotorHead

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 10:24:48 PM »
No bird, what do I win?  ;D

Must be cause I'm holding the bird. How else could I get him to pose so well. I think we all know that look. "You've been chosen."  ;D

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 11:10:13 PM »

Must be cause I'm holding the bird. How else could I get him to pose so well. I think we all know that look. "You've been chosen."  ;D

Seen it too many times  :D

Looks like a lot of fun!
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM