BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Installing lifts TJ  (Read 499 times)

Offline j33plover

• Visitor
Installing lifts TJ
« on: April 22, 2008, 11:21:57 PM »
How hard is it to install a body lift for clearance for tires ... is it hard.. anyone know how to do it.. or somewhere i can get info on this subject  {toast}

Offline Will

• Visitor
Re: Installing lifts TJ
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 12:08:46 AM »
How hard is it to install a body lift for clearance for tires ... is it hard.. anyone know how to do it.. or somewhere i can get info on this subject  {toast}

It's not too hard. Here's a right up for a 1" body lift install which pretty much explains all the steps and the tools required  :)

Edit: I always forget the link, ha:  http://www.4x4xplor.com/bl.html
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 08:36:24 AM »
4x4xplor... my favorite site!
I've grown tired of this.

Offline j33plover

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 06:56:38 PM »
thx for info.. one more question... is it simple to do with a garage at home.. or do i need to pay someone to do it..

ranger11

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 07:04:33 PM »
It depends on your skill level and the tools you have. You need someway to lift the body. The first body lift I done was with a jack and a 4x4. Or if you have an engine hoist you could figure a way to use it. Where are you located?

Offline j33plover

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 07:09:14 PM »
Tennessee .. my first lift of many.. and not many tools..

Offline Ben H.

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 07:48:01 PM »
Tennessee .. my first lift of many.. and not many tools..

Where in Tennessee? I might could help. Never installed a body lift before but an extra set of hands always help!
1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8

Offline camper

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 09:30:04 PM »
Do you have a floor jack and a place to work for an afternoon?  Installing a body lift is pretty easy on a decent condition jeep.  If your jeep has rust issues, then you'll have to determine if the body mount bolts are going be a problem.  There are five mount points along each frame rail and one mount in the front center.  You have to loosen the plastic engine fan shroud and the fuel fill hose....and the transfer case linkage.  Then you loosen all the body mount bolts.  Leave the passenger side bolts threaded loosely while you remove all the driver side.  This will prevent any accidental shifting of the body tub while you lift the driver side.

There are a few different body lift kits and some are a little different.  Swap in the new rubber on one side and lower the body.  Put the bolts back in loosely and go to the other side.  Repeat the process.  You'll have to read the instructions and attend to the final details like reattaching the fan shroud, shift linkage, etc.  If you can build a bicycle or child's wagon from a box of parts, then you can install a jeep body lift.  The devil is in the rusted bolts, etc.

Many fellas will also lift the engine block at the two forward motor mounts at the same time they install a body lift kit.  Both projects are about $100 each +/-.  Most fellas will say a 1" body lift is enough.  Wanting anything more is usually better solved with a suspension lift of some type.
Steve....'98 TJ sport

Offline j33plover

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 05:59:09 PM »
Right outside franklin brentwood arena ben.. and ya if i knew when i was gonna do it id give u a holler and thx for pics.. helps alot

Offline georgiatj

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 10:13:44 PM »
x2 on what camper said, I have the same body lift on my TJ and I found it fairly easy.  I've done a couple and not really had a hard time with any of them but i was dropping three inch bodys to one inch
Go dawgs!

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM