BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: JKR at the dealer for rear locker  (Read 753 times)

Offline 94xjsport94

• Visitor
  • Cherocar
JKR at the dealer for rear locker
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 01:11:00 AM »
I think you would be hard pressed to find statistical data supporting that something in the oil is contributing to the break down of these lockers... Put in a spool.

8)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 01:11:34 AM by 94xjsport94 »
Will

94 seXj

Online jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: JKR at the dealer for rear locker
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 08:00:28 AM »

I use Dino oil in my difs, cheap and easy to swap out. Read a Currie white paper that basically showed that Dino oil helped pull heat from the gears better than synthetic.

Whether it is really better or not, I don't know. I haven't exactly been the poster child for gear set longevity.
What weight and brand do you run?
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 09:16:53 AM »

I use Dino oil in my difs, cheap and easy to swap out. Read a Currie white paper that basically showed that Dino oil helped pull heat from the gears better than synthetic.

Whether it is really better or not, I don't know. I haven't exactly been the poster child for gear set longevity.

It may be time for tcdawg to step up to a 250 wt or a 50/50 mix of Lucas oil stabilizer and reg gear oil in that rear axle.

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 09:52:56 AM »
Weight has a lot to do with gear life and shock absorbing. I'll be asking gear works but for my stuff I'll be looking at an iso 500 or 1000. Not sure how an iso number translate into a gear weight that we are use to seeing. The heavier the weight, the more power it borrows, but provides a better cushion during the mesh.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 09:57:20 AM »

75/140

Offline 94xjsport94

• Visitor
  • Cherocar
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 02:59:16 PM »

Weight has a lot to do with gear life and shock absorbing. I'll be asking gear works but for my stuff I'll be looking at an iso 500 or 1000. Not sure how an iso number translate into a gear weight that we are use to seeing. The heavier the weight, the more power it borrows, but provides a better cushion during the mesh.

We have ISO 560 at work for gearboxes. Stuff is THICK. Most everything else is roughly ISO 100 and close to the consistency of gear oil from the store.

O Reilly's has never let me down with their gear earl in anything I own.
Will

94 seXj

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 09:29:03 AM »
I picked up the JKR at Palmer yesterday.  Everything is working as it should.  The replaced the locker actuator and axles seals.  The parts list shows 2 different lubricants.  I hope they didn't put a friction modifier in there for the limited slip axles.  Not sure it will hurt but still.

I took the other PSC diff cover with the Lube Locker and they installed it when they put it back together.  Had the stock cover in the box on the passenger floorboard. 

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2016, 10:57:07 AM »
Overall it was a good outcome, but man that took some time.

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2016, 11:07:46 AM »
Overall it was a good outcome, but man that took some time.

- Torg

They only had the Jeep 4 days.  The actuator for the locker was on national backorder.

Now the part that I'm concerned/pissed about.  They put a bottle of Limited Slip Additive in the axle when they filled it.  Is that going to F something up?

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2016, 11:50:32 AM »
It's not going to hurt anything. It is needed for limited slip but won't hurt if it doesn't. Your diff doesn't have clutches that need the fluid.
Marc, Tracy, Jordan, and Tyler Allen

"Some women are like scooters, you have fun ridding them, you just wouldn't want your buddies to see you ridding them......" - A very wise man.

Offline SemperFiArms

• Visitor
  • Oremus Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2016, 12:01:15 AM »
What Marc said, the FM won't hurt anything in there. All it does is allow the LS clutches to slip slightly without binding up and chatter when turning.
Chris
Improvise, Overcome, Adapt.
Do or Do Not, There Is No Try.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM