BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Proud new owner of..  (Read 404 times)

Daniel

Proud new owner of..
« on: April 25, 2008, 04:22:53 PM »
That's right, you're "talking" to the proud new owner of a "new" Pearl Vision VLX 5-Piece Fusion Drum Set.  I love it.  I'm not sure how old the series is, but it can't be that old.  The Vision line is replacing the Export line, but the Exports are just now being replaced.  But Pearl has already discontinued the VLX line.  So, I've got the last of a dead breed.  Apparently the VLX might've been the first line in the Vision series.  I read a little write-up and they described it as being an Export with a lot of Reference influence.  Reference is another Pearl line of drums, a little higher-end than the Vision.  Anyway, none of you but maybe Chris will be interested in all that babbling.  But here she is:

Isn't she a beauty?  I've got a 10" matching finish tom on it's way to replace my other black one.  I hope to land my hands on an 18" matching finish floor tom, just 'cause they're brutal.

Also, I placed an order for this schweet rack today:

So, I pretty much went Pearl.  Which Pearl's the best from what I hear and what I've seen so far. 

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Proud new owner of..
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 06:11:27 PM »
Cool.  I had a nice set of Ludwig Vistalite years ago, red see thru.  Placed in a rock band and jazz band, etc.  How much are those today with stands and cymbals?

Daniel

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 09:50:26 PM »
How much are those today with stands and cymbals?

I'm not sure how much they go for with stands and cymbals.  Different prices for different drums, I suppose.  I know when I bought my cheap-o PDP set, it came with some crappy stands and no-name cymbals, that I quickly replaced... and added on.  It came with a hi-hat and a crash. 

I've had to buy a Zildjian ZBT cymbal pack (they're cheap), I bought various cymbals from a guy I know who was getting rid of his drums, Sabian B8 cymbal pack (they're pretty cheap), PDP double bass drum pedal used those for a while, upgraded to a Peace (?) double-chain double bass drum pedal, different stands from different stores on ebay, some awesome Tama snare drum,  and a Gibraltar rack, which I will soon be upgraded to the previously pictured Pearl rack.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 09:57:42 PM »
How much are those today with stands and cymbals?

I'm not sure how much they go for with stands and cymbals.  Different prices for different drums, I suppose.  I know when I bought my cheap-o PDP set, it came with some crappy stands and no-name cymbals, that I quickly replaced... and added on.  It came with a hi-hat and a crash. 

I've had to buy a Zildjian ZBT cymbal pack (they're cheap), I bought various cymbals from a guy I know who was getting rid of his drums, Sabian B8 cymbal pack (they're pretty cheap), PDP double bass drum pedal used those for a while, upgraded to a Peace (?) double-chain double bass drum pedal, different stands from different stores on ebay, some awesome Tama snare drum,  and a Gibraltar rack, which I will soon be upgraded to the previously pictured Pearl rack.

Man, that's awesome.  I want to play'um!  Last thing I've played was a set in the youth center at our previous church.  I go in on Sunday mornings and kick for about 15 minutes, and be worn out.   Not in "drumin" shape anymore.  Hell, not in any shape any more!

Chris Hyde

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 10:09:08 PM »
Very nice Daniel.  I played several Pearl kits, Tama, Mapex and Roland.  I always loved the feel of my Pearl kits with Evans Genera Dry G2's on Bass and snare with Coated Ambassadors on the toms. Here they are.

My first kit.  Pearl Forum

Next:  Pearl Prestige Session Select

Last acoustic kit:  Tama Starclassic

Recorded first band demo:  Mapex Mars Pro

Played live for last few years:  Roland TD20k

Next acoustic Kit:  DW Collector (This is not my kit)

« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 10:13:33 PM by Chris »

Daniel

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 11:54:56 PM »
I don't know what it is about Tama, but their toms are ridiculously deep.  It was awesome.  Their 8" was as deep as most 12" or so.  It was crazy.  I use the coated Ambassadors on the toms as well.  On my first snare I used the Emperor X head, it was pretty bad.  I liked it.  When I bought the Tama snare, I left the head it came with... can't recall what it is though.  The Pearl kit came with a SensiTone snare that I'm not planning on using.  It's just got the regular ol' ProTone head on it though. 

Chris Hyde

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 10:32:08 AM »
Next time you switch snare heads, try Evan's Dry Vented.  Oh my!

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM