BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Opinion on Towing  (Read 633 times)

BigJerm

Opinion on Towing
« on: April 27, 2008, 08:44:35 PM »
Alright so this coming weekend I will need to tow a trailer. Basically, let me hear suggestions (things to do to the Jeep) on things that will make it easier on me (if any). I pulled many a trailers before, including this one but it was with a Dodge Ram 1500. I will be towing Columbus and back, 260 miles round trip. Going down the trailer is empty, on the way back up it will have a couch and probably a book shelf.

Trailer:
Weight unknown
14', metal frame, wood floor, metal side rails about 18" tall, single axle, no brakes, lift gate on the back. Its the kind of trailer I would buy if I had 4wheelers.

Jeep:
4.10 gears auto with overdrive (I will be turning off overdrive).
Rated to tow 2500 lbs
I have a drop hitch
Oil recently changed with syn
Diff oil only 5k miles old and is syn

Chris Hyde

Re: Opinion on Towing
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 08:46:16 PM »
That trailer probably only weighs 950lbs.  Your more than safe.

The End.

;D

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 08:47:26 PM »
You should be fine. Heck I towed a pop up before with mine. Way overloaded but she pulled nonetheless. Just don't expect to get any speeding tickets... or gas mileage :D :D
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Ben H.

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 08:51:53 PM »
You will be fine. But if you want to convince yourself that you will be fine, add a tranny cooler.
1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 08:52:16 PM »
Check everything twice, and don't get in a hurry.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 08:54:19 PM »
Only thing about towing with a Jeep Wrangler/JK is the fish tailing. I am not much for towing with the Jeep. Seems to fishtail a bit much for me.
I've grown tired of this.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 09:17:22 PM »
Only thing about towing with a Jeep Wrangler/JK is the fish tailing. I am not much for towing with the Jeep. Seems to fishtail a bit much for me.

Good point, it's due to the short wheelbase, and the tail wags the dog.  Load the trailer ahead of the axles with a reasonable tongue weight.

Chris Hyde

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 09:17:35 PM »
You will be fine. But if you want to convince yourself that you will be fine, add a tranny cooler.

You wouldn't need a tranny cooler with that trailer and light load.  If you towed a pair of jet skis or a small boat, I would.

BigJerm

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 09:44:46 PM »
Thanks fellas! I was just making sure. Like i said never towed anything without a Dodge or F250. The Wrangler is a small vehicle for me. Now i just need to practice some backing up, lol.

Offline Xterra

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 12:04:59 AM »
if i can tow my jeep with my X im sure your car can handle it easily. the only problem that i encountered was swaying from wind causing the back of the car to rock a little. like chris said, its not gonna be to heavy so all you need to worry about is gas  ;D
2006 Nissan Xterra

1992 Jeep YJ

Offline Ben H.

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 11:53:14 AM »

You wouldn't need a tranny cooler with that trailer and light load.  If you towed a pair of jet skis or a small boat, I would.

That is why I said only if he really wanted to convince himself he would be fine.
1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8

BigJerm

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 11:40:39 PM »
alright well I go pick the trailer up tomorrow out in Winder after work. Everything is hooked up (i even hooked my front sway bar back up!) and ready to go. It seems normal driving with OD on I get around 15 mpg. So what are best guess for my mpg with the trailer? I am thinking with no OD and empty more like 12, when its "full" maybe 9 or 10....

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM