BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: TJ Rubicon or LJ non-Rubicon  (Read 1863 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: TJ Rubicon or LJ non-Rubicon
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 08:39:17 PM »

Not going to address Clark's comment about LJ's being ugly. 

Ok.

...and i think LJ's look awesome. 

Liar!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Cleveland99

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 08:49:54 PM »
Does a few inches really matter lmao lmao

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 08:51:00 PM »
I'd be interested in selling my TJ if you want a built rig.  It's stretched (100" WB) on tons with 4-link, lockers, cage, etc. etc.

Streetable and passes emissions.  Since the buggy has gotten to be reliable I don't need two built rigs.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
TJ Rubicon or LJ non-Rubicon
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 08:58:47 PM »
I will enter the room of truth...

I still look for and lust after an LJ. It's the perfect platform for a hardcore wheeler that is still very streetable. The main point ,IMO , is that you don't need to stretch it and move the fuel tank to the interior.

Mike,

Are you going to go baller hardcore wheeler. 60's and 40's?  If No, stick with  the JK

Are you happy with 35's or 37's?  Stay w the JK

Do you want to trailer and build a seriously bad ass rock crawler that will have big boy axles and tires and not coat $60k...LJ is for you.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 09:00:07 PM by tcdawg »

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 09:23:51 PM »
I disagree with Tony in one respect...a well built TJ, like Danny's or John's (once he goes full hydro and stretches the front), is second best in the rocks, only to a buggy; LJ, like Jared's, is third.  I hope my semi-stretched TJ is fourth, but my comments at the end will indicate why I'll be behind a well built JK and JKU.  :)

The gas tank in the cab, and limited storage capacity, is what really separates the LJ from a TJ.  If you aren't overlanding (or carrying rear passengers), and want to have a body on the machine, and are willing to have fuel in the cab, a stretched TJ is the way to go for pure badassness.  If you plan to overland, or don't want fuel in the cab, LJ with limited stretch is the ride for you.  To me, for pure rock crawling capability, a truly stretched TJ is the best (without going buggy).

I also contend that on various obstacles, some vehicles will do better than others, so it comes down to overall capability.

Since you want to drive it to/from every park, I'd stick with the JK since it comes naturally with that cloud of titties, marshmallow fluff ride.  A TJ, even on a nice suspension setup, is of no comparison, based on my driving of Jay's JKU.  YMMV

Don't forget the benefit of gearing (differential, transfer case, and transmission), engine, tires, and, of course, driver skill and fear levels.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 09:33:28 PM »
I will enter the room of truth...

I still look for and lust after an LJ. It's the perfect platform for a hardcore wheeler that is still very streetable. The main point ,IMO , is that you don't need to stretch it and move the fuel tank to the interior.

Mike,

Are you going to go baller hardcore wheeler. 60's and 40's?  If No, stick with  the JK

Are you happy with 35's or 37's?  Stay w the JK

Do you want to trailer and build a seriously bad ass rock crawler that will have big boy axles and tires and not coat $60k...LJ is for you.

I needed to take my own advice about 3 years ago...

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 08:30:03 AM »
Great discussion!

My primary reason is the buy a NICE daily driver.  I can't keep my JKR and my Harley and buy a NICE daily driver.  Well, I can, but won't invest that much money in toys.  I'm a believer in investing until it hurts (sans Harley) and plan to have a very comfortable retirement.
  • I don't want a buggy or a off-road only Jeep
  • I don't want to trailer it
  • I want to be able to drive it from here to FL if I want to, just like I do with my JKR
  • I like the simplicity of the TJ/LJ platform
  • I don't care about a back seat.  I removed it from my JKR the day after I brought it home from the dealer.
  • 37's a built 44's would probably be the limit.  Honestly, I have just as much fun when we go to ORV's as you guys on the big stuff.  Even though I'm armored underneath, I still cringe when I slam down on rocks wondering if I'm going to be able to get to work on Monday.
  • NADA says that a stock 2014 JKR with the options that I have has a Clean Retail of ~$33k.  I have $10k to $11k in mods in my rig today.  I'd like to recover 50% of that.  Not sure if it's possible.
  • Not sure what a NICE daily driver means yet.  I'm smitten with the new Mustang GT with track package (convertible).  I also like the C6 Grand Sport Corvette, 911S Porsche (997.2), maybe a slightly used Tahoe 4wd, or take my wife's 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (Hemi) and buy her a new SUV.
  • My plan was to keep my JKR for a long time.  It will be paid off in 2 years.  Take it off of the road then and continue to build it.  That is probably what I should do. 

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 08:46:33 AM »
I'm smitten with the new Mustang GT with track package. 

Me too, but a coupe.  I have been thinking about a new daily driver and this is one on my list...
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 08:50:44 AM »
C6 over the mustang...

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 08:58:05 AM »
C6 over the mustang...

Agree, but different price points...
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 09:52:45 AM »
I absolutely love the new Vettes. Sexy as hell.

Offline Cleveland99

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 09:54:18 AM »
Nissan makes a wonderful daily know as gtr hahhahah

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM