BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: MY FRIGGIN WIRELESS ROUTER!  (Read 712 times)

Chris Hyde

MY FRIGGIN WIRELESS ROUTER!
« on: May 01, 2008, 04:30:04 PM »
I am constantly having to unplug and reboot it.  WTH is the deal?  I am about to throw it on the concrete driveway and flex on it just for fun.  It seems to be worse when messenger is active.  I keep about 10 Yahoo IM windows open at all times and it constantly signs me in/out/in/out/in/out/in/out.

W.............T............H!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 04:31:39 PM by Chris »

Chris Hyde

Re: MY FRIGGIN WIRELESS ROUTER!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 04:37:15 PM »
Mike, youre a techy nerd.  HELP!

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 05:49:30 PM »
You sure its not the cable modem. Mine was doing this and I ended up with at bad modem. Call your cable provider and have them come check it with there machine.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline Ben H.

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 07:54:15 PM »
You won't be able to flex much on a router.
1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8

Chris Hyde

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 08:54:13 PM »
You sure its not the cable modem. Mine was doing this and I ended up with at bad modem. Call your cable provider and have them come check it with there machine.

No, it was doing this just before we switched internet providers, so I know the modem isnt it.

urdaddyjeep

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 09:29:50 PM »
I had a bad router... look at the bottom of the router and ge the IP addy, you might have to hard wire it in to your laptop... there should be a reset buttom as well... you can reset it that way... I bounced my old one down the trail.... NetGear has a great one just make sure that you get one that has 2 antennas... since then I haven't had any problems..

Just my 2cents...

Mike

Offline Metro

• Visitor
  • Back up and bump it!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 10:13:42 PM »
Did it use to work fine with the wireless card you are using now?  Is it losing connection to the wireless all together?

You can eliminate your internet connection as the problem by running two simultaneous ping tests, one on the gateway IP, one on an internet IP.  If the Internet IP starts dropping packets and the gateway does not, you got internet issues.  If both drop at the same time, you got wireless issues.  You can get your gateway IP by hitting Start-->Run-->type: cmd  -->hit enter-->type: ipconfig --> hit enter--> read gateway ip, then type: ping gatewayip -t  -->hit enter this will start a continuous ping to your gateway IP on your router.  Open a second dos window (start, run, cmd) while pinging the gateway in the first dos window ping an internet IP in the 2nd window- type: ping 68.178.232.193 -t  This is an internet IP that you can ping.  Wait for packets to start dropping in either window.

If both ping tests start to lose packets at the same time (a router/wireless issue) see if the manufacturer has a newer version of firmware for the router.  Make sure your laptop has the latest driver for the wireless card.  If it still does the same thing, see if sitting closer or farther from the router has an effect on the situation.  Microwaves, HVACs, cordless phones, and wireless cameras can all cause inteference.  When my AC comes on in my house, my signal drops down to "very good".

If it previously worked fine and nothing has really changed, chances are good that the router needs to  be chunked or flexed on.  I've gone through a D-Link, Linksys, and most recently a Belkin.  They all just crapped out in one way or another and I've seen countless other routers crap out in similar ways.  I even keep mine on battery backups and that doesn't help.  They are throw aways unless you shell our for a Cisco or something (not a Linksys with Cisco's name on it).

Seth
Seth
07 Rubicon Unlimited on 37s

Chris Hyde

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 10:22:33 PM »
Seth, thanks!  I will put some attention to this and post back up.

BigJerm

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 10:25:02 PM »
NetGear has a great one just make sure that you get one that has 2 antennas... since then I haven't had any problems..

Sounds like the one I had and it is great. Now my DSL modem on the other hand...

Offline Xterra

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 11:44:26 PM »
before you toss the router though, if you have a linksys one you can run a software provided by them that troubleshoots it for you.
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1166859678292&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=7829277881B03

fixes mine most of the time without me logging into the router and manually reseting the settings.
I use the linksys WRT54G router. Easylink firmware only works with these. you can try either the netcheck first and if that dosent do anything, go to easylink connect and have it re-setup your router for you. again this is ONLY if you have a LINKSYS router.
2006 Nissan Xterra

1992 Jeep YJ

Offline b1pig

• Visitor
    • b1pig's Web Page
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 04:00:33 AM »
i had a WRT54G.... one night it completely dumped. i could "see" it and the computer would connect, but i couldnt log on, no internet, no xbox live... nada.

i was off that night and cant live without my xbox live or internet (in that order), so i went and got a new Belkin N MIMO. better signal, no issues with the NAT for XBOX Live like i always had with the Linksys.
'07 Unlimited Rubicon.. aaaalllll black, baby!
'98 ZJ converted to 4wd w/5.5"& 33s, '90 Geo Tracker 5" susp/b.l. & 30's
"People Eating Tasty Animals" -bumper sticker on a Chevy
ZJ 2wd->4wd Conversion,CJ5(the one we sold),MY MSN PAGE,Death Wobble

urdaddyjeep

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »
Chris try this first d/c the cat5 cable that runs to your router plug it into your laptop,,, do you have internet? no? bad cable modem... yes bad router...

Check the easy stuff first... then ping your router and the ISP..

if bad cable modem call your ISP get new one.. tell them that is a POS...

if bad router then flex it break it trash it..

just a few late thoughts on this

Mike

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM