BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Compressors  (Read 923 times)

Offline Jango

• Visitor
Compressors
« on: July 29, 2016, 12:47:23 AM »
I am comparing some on board air methods and would like some opinions and reasoning. the use from it would be to fill tires.

option 1.
ARB dual compressor

option 2.
viair constant duty setup with one compressor and a 2.5 gallon reservoir.

option 3.
random compressor with a 2.5 gallon tank.

not looking to get an industrial compressor though.

Thanks!
-Connor (Jango... the D is silent and invisible)

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
Re: Compressors
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 05:54:33 AM »
I have an ARB compressor. They work pretty good. I just bought a CO2 tank and going to go that route for speed purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobby

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 07:55:13 AM »
I've had ViAir and a 20# tank onboard at the same time, and now have the DUAL ARB

IMHO nothing beats the Dual ARB for #1 choice to have onboard,

Speed      (Filled all 4 37's in about 3 mins with my 4up home made air line, takes about 8 for all 4 40s)
Space      (not in pass area, under the hood, easily accessible)
Safety      (tank is heavy and can be dangerous, use a HD custom mount commercially available, like Powertank)
Time      (airing up and do I have time to take tank for refill)
Insurance  (do I forget, or do i need to go refill)
Regeneration (more air as long as you have 12v)

I've run my impact off of mine a dozen times and it has never failed me, just wait for max pressure at the cut off (< minute) to break stubborn nuts loose.

A tank for a small compressor is NOT ALWAYS GOOD TO HAVE.
it is good on the initial blast of psi and volume, but then the compressor takes a LONG time to raise all of the volume in the lines and tank up to the max psi, so you need a cutoff to cut off the tank after the initial blast so you can get the max volume and psi directly to the tool/tire, etc.  The tank is like having another tire in the system so it slows down the airing up process.

Tank has unique features for #2
The tank offers a unique high pressure for a long time,but the reg should be no higher than 150psi, so if you need that, it's got it.
Problem is if you use it, you have to un-mount, remove, take to shop, refill, and reverse and remount it.  HASSLE.

York is unbeatable, pricey, could see for a all time rescue rig.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 08:01:21 AM by Doug »

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 07:56:05 AM »
I have an ARB single compressor...and it is painfully slow!  I also have a 5lb CO2 tank, but I don't carry it anymore. 

I have used the dual ARB before (Doug's) and it is awesome.  We ran an air impact on it, but you do have to wait between uses for it to build pressure. 

If I had the space, I'd go with something that has a tank.  Todd's York compressor with the air tank is unbeatable, IMHO.

Good luck.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 08:10:09 AM »
@zxmopar is getting ready to run a York on his JKU. Hopefully he weighs in soon to explain the set up.

I have a single ARB and also think it's slow. I'd never consider running tools off of it. I plan to switch to a double eventually, but it's very low on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jay

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 10:03:53 AM »
For your purpose, filling tires, you can all fancy or do it on a budget. I have a compressor that a friend gave me when he was cleaning out his storage building. They also make a smaller one but no Idea is its any good. After using mine, I'd try it out.

The one I have filled my 35s from 12 psi to 20 psi faster the Bruce (inline6) with a single ARB (??) on 37s. Not sure what psi he was running.
Not amazingly fast but it got the job done.

My buddy also gas me a 2.5 gallon Viair tank to homebrew a OBA. I haven't even looked into it because the compressor does so well, IMO. Plus, I think the AC finally went out on my XJ. I'll be converting it over to OBA. Just didn't see the point of ruining a perfectly good operating AC system. 

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 10:40:51 AM »
I have one of those harbor fright battery connected compressors that works well, but I wouldn't consider it OBA.  I did see one of the guys in Phoenix (Richard's friend) put his cigarette lighter powered compressor on the floor of his jeep and run the air conditioner floor vents directly on it to keep it cool as he aired up...nifty idea.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 11:29:11 AM »
I agree Don, the plug in types get really hot & have the potential to melt the 12 volt outlet.
Mine actually clips onto the battery posts.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 11:38:28 AM »
I wouldn't consider the plugins OBA either but I will say one of my old roommates had this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Slime-40026-Heavy-Direct-Inflator/dp/B005Z8HAUK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469804577&sr=8-2&keywords=slime+compressor

and it was probably the best plugin compressor I've ever used.  It worked really well even filling up my 37s before I bought the dual ARB, which btw I am super happy with as well.  The dual ARB works really well.  The only desire I have is I need to build an automatic cutoff setup like Doug has.  I want to run the connector externally though so I don't have to raise the hood and haven't nailed down what to buy for the braided line&chuck to mount to the side of the inner fenders or bumper or something.  I also plan to buy a smaller CO2 tank to mount to the cage to have just in case I need instant air to remount a tire bead or something that requires a big punch.  I would not use it in a normal air-up scenario as I have the dual arb.
Braided line question: for showroom stuff, or functional concern? 

Follow up question:  If for functional concern...what is the concern?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 12:46:45 PM »
I wouldn't consider the plugins OBA either but I will say one of my old roommates had this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Slime-40026-Heavy-Direct-Inflator/dp/B005Z8HAUK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469804577&sr=8-2&keywords=slime+compressor

and it was probably the best plugin compressor I've ever used.  It worked really well even filling up my 37s before I bought the dual ARB, which btw I am super happy with as well.  The dual ARB works really well.  The only desire I have is I need to build an automatic cutoff setup like Doug has.  I want to run the connector externally though so I don't have to raise the hood and haven't nailed down what to buy for the braided line&chuck to mount to the side of the inner fenders or bumper or something.  I also plan to buy a smaller CO2 tank to mount to the cage to have just in case I need instant air to remount a tire bead or something that requires a big punch.  I would not use it in a normal air-up scenario as I have the dual arb.
Braided line question: for showroom stuff, or functional concern? 

Follow up question:  If for functional concern...what is the concern?

Functionally - Line that won't overheat and melt.

Also, I mentioned 'plugin' but that link I sent is actually the battery terminal style which I prefer as Dave mentioned overheating there with plugins as well as a possibility.

Don, I've been running the 3' rubber-ish hose from Northern Tool for a while and have not had it over heat and melt; I don't use it a lot as I don't air up very much. 

I'm not sure braided gains you overheat and melting protection, but I'm pretty uneducated in these things.  I thought braided gained you rub/wear resistance, and maybe some puncture resistance.  The place where I expect the hose to overheat and melt is at the connections as the air is forced through smaller diameter openings between fittings.

I'd like to be more educated, so please school me if I'm missing some benefits of braided hose vs non-braided hose. 
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 12:47:47 PM »
All of the little compressors get hot.  The disconnect next to the dual arb gets hot.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:12:36 PM by Doug »

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM