BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: PARTS  (Read 1511 times)

ranger11

Re: PARTS
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 11:20:15 PM »
Get a locker. Whats under the cover matters. Best mod ever.

BigJerm

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 11:24:27 PM »
ok given your situation I offer a little advice.

You are already on 33's, so leave the lift and tires alone for now. Get some armor for the Jeep. Some side protection would be top on my list. I always thought it was pointless unless you were nuts offroad but I have wacked mine quite a few times now. I would probably also look into an Aussie locker for the front (I will one day have one as well). I know you have talked about your friends Jeep on 5" and 37's or w/e but you also said his dad did it all. I am going to guess his dad makes a little more money than you do so I wouldnt worry with trying to compare to his Jeep (as hard as that is). Build it for what you need it to do and the only way to find that out is to get out and wheel the Jeep.

Dont worry about "keeping up". We are not blazing up the trails, we stop for each other and as long as you have tow points we will pull you up, over or out of anything you cant make.

Offline j33plover

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 12:25:20 PM »
i dont have 33' i want to get 33' tires im on 31' right now and its not lifted.. im building it to the point so i can come off-road with u all and still fit the part...

Offline georgiatj

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 12:30:02 PM »
If you want cheap and capable, 2" spacers 1" body lift and quick discos you are good. 33" tires no problem and you have decent offroad capabilities.

Back in high school i wheeled a ton of places with that set up, not the BEST set up thats for sure but it will work for ya no problem. spacers run bout $80, body lift about $80-100 and a decent set of disconnects around 70 or so, not to mention you can usually find those parts used or alot cheaper

Edit: Or if you can find some factory rubicon coils, I threw some spacers, shocks and my old rubi coils i had on my jeep on a good friends and he ran 33s without a problem, wheeling it not just on road.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 12:31:38 PM by georgiatj »
Go dawgs!

Offline Grass Janitor

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 01:04:49 PM »
As you can see in my sig, I'm only running 31s (ATs at that) and a budget boost.  I've only been out once with these guys but like they've said, if you have a jeep and you want to wheel, bring it on.  Yes we all want 37s but we have to do what we can afford.  I think you're getting some good advice, I know my next mods will all be armor related and then I'm considering adding a 1" BL to my BB so I can run 33s, and that will probably be it for me b/c of my Dana 35 and the costs of upgrading, plus the costs of lift/tires.  I did put an aussie locker in my front D30 and it's the best 250 bucks you'll ever spend.  Most of the trails/parks have ways around the toughest obstacles if your jeep isn't ready for them, and I'll reiterate the point that the best way to decide where to spend your money on mods is to just get out and wheel your rig, the trail will tell you where you're lacking. 

You mentioned specs in your original post, if you're talking about required equipment for trail rides, you can pick up a cheap auto fire ext at Home Depot, Uniden Pro510 CB for around $50 online (antenna is extra, be sure to get it tuned by a CB shop), you probably already have recovery points but if not they're available through any 4x4 vendor as are straps (NO METAL ENDS!!!). 
Check out Rusty's off road or Skid Row skids, there are a ton of companies doing rockers, depends on how much you want to spend. 
Sam- Silver 2012 JKUR on 37s

BigJerm

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 01:09:54 PM »
nicely put 01RedTJ.

We all wanna be like the big boys on 37's but ill just settle for my little 35's  :'(

We all know what it is like to be on a tight budget. I remember saving every penny to put a turbo on my first car in highschool and it was hell doing it. Just make sure you meet our requirements and you are good to go. There are bypass's and plenty of winches in the group so you are covered. I say go for the spacers now. They are cheap, affected and get the lift you want. All i have are 2.5" coil spacers right now and I do fine.

Offline j33plover

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 04:27:03 PM »
Think ill do that with spacers and lift with 33'... thanks for the advice guys keep idea coming tho.. im still not set on what i want... and may i add. (Again) you all are helping me so much since im "New to this stuff"...so plz keep ideas coming....

THanks..J33plover

Daniel

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 05:25:52 PM »
I read some of it but not all of the posts, another thing that would help you save money is not to buy Mickey Thompson tires.  There's cheaper tires out there.  Since you said you're going to have to buy those.

Offline j33plover

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 06:46:46 PM »
well whats a good brand of tires that does A/T or Mudders... prices would be nice to know if possible

ranger11

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 06:57:21 PM »
Mastercraft courser mts runs around 500.00. I would buy used though I find 33s all day long with rims for 500.00

Offline j33plover

• Visitor
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 07:04:33 PM »
where would i find these.. ebay?....

Daniel

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 07:06:23 PM »
well whats a good brand of tires that does A/T or Mudders... prices would be nice to know if possible

I mean if you've got your mind made up on Mickey's don't let me dissuade you from getting them.  I haven't heard anyone complain about them.  But I know there's cheaper.  I run Maxxis Bighorns, Chris, Matt, Adam, and Doug (Slippery) have all either run or are running Bighorns, they were relatively cheap when I bought them.  I paid $535 shipped, new.  I think they've went up a little from the guy I bought them from.  Matt might know of a place that sells them for a little less, might have to ask him the place though can't remember where it was or how much the tires were.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM