BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: My ongoing neverending Project  (Read 203 times)

Offline bear991

• Visitor
My ongoing neverending Project
« on: September 19, 2016, 06:05:59 PM »
Ok a few years ago my wife just had to have this 72 VW bus. It appeared to be in pretty good shape,drove good, ran good no engine smoke so I caved in and bought it went to Charlottesville,Va. bought it and drove it home. She absolutely loves this thing so little by little I started upgrading various things. Engine had a few miles on it,still not smoking but, started using oil so I rebuilt the engine. Built the tranny while I had the engine out and worked my way forward replacing everything under this bus. Three years down the road of course the time comes for a paint job and not just any paint job....has to be flower child murals.. She's a old hippie and you get the picture. I bring it in the shop to prep the body for painting. The more I sand the more SHEEEET keeps falling off. Chunks of bondo and crap. So me being how I am this has become a full on major body repair deal. I keep sanding and the SHEEET keeps falling off. Everytime I go to repair one thing three other things pop up. I've restored old trucks before but never had this much rust and old bondo to dig out and repair. Here is a sample of where i'm at now......
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do- The Duke

Bear

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
Re: My ongoing neverending Project
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 06:52:57 PM »
Neat project! The old buses are classic. Rust repair is a pain though, it for sure takes a lot of patience to do it right.

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 07:05:52 PM »
I love the busses too, can't wait to see the finished product!

Offline Cannonballkev

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 07:37:14 PM »
Rut ro raggy
Get dirty, or get off the trail!

Offline bigaj234

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 02:34:19 PM »
Ya'll think that was bad you should have seen the scrambler that I restored, am still working on 2 years later. I do not think that there is a single thing on there that has not been replaced or repainted due to rust. All I can say is that I feel your pain. In an effort to reduce my bill at the paint and body shop, me and a friend of mine stripped everything down and ground down to bare metal and primed and painted what we could our selves. The only exception to this was the tub and doors and hood which we could not paint due to a lack of access to a paint booth.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM