BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Any Deer Hunters?  (Read 194 times)

Offline bigaj234

• Visitor
Any Deer Hunters?
« on: September 26, 2016, 02:29:26 PM »
I was just wondering if there were any deer hunters out there and what do ya'll use for bait? I personally prefer corn and salt blocks. They seem to work the best. I have tried food plots of various different things to no effect. When I plant a food plot, I try to find things that will stand up to the frost like oats and winter rye. Someone had suggested to me to try using greens like collards and turnips etc. Hogs are not yet a problem, although a few have been spotted in the deer cams. But the last time I tried a food plot, the hogs found out and rooted it up. Does anyone have any good ideas for good deer bait?

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
Re: Any Deer Hunters?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 03:07:15 PM »
I was just wondering if there were any deer hunters out there and what do ya'll use for bait? I personally prefer corn and salt blocks. They seem to work the best. I have tried food plots of various different things to no effect. When I plant a food plot, I try to find things that will stand up to the frost like oats and winter rye. Someone had suggested to me to try using greens like collards and turnips etc. Hogs are not yet a problem, although a few have been spotted in the deer cams. But the last time I tried a food plot, the hogs found out and rooted it up. Does anyone have any good ideas for good deer bait?

If you are in an area where you can bait then a mineral block or one of those deer blocks with corn and other stuff compressed in. Corn usually brings them in but really corn is not the best thing for deer. Digestion is not good with corn and no protein for growth. Food plots are tricky given the soil conditions and rain you get. If you want deer to come in throw some apples out and peanut butter. Deer love some peanut butter! In the off season I use the old PB jar feeder. Take the lid off the jar, screw to a tree, screw on jar and remove bottom section of jar (plastic of course). They go nuts over it. But for me I am a no bait guy in my area. But if I bring a snack in the woods like an apple I eat it and leave the core in my stand for the smell to carry. Good cover scent and attractant. Good luck out there!
I've grown tired of this.

Offline bigaj234

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 03:40:41 PM »
I am here in the Southern Zone. It is legal to hunt over corn. I have known that corn is hard to digest and not the best source of protein, but the deer sure do seem to love the stuff. The temperatures here have been averaging about 85-90+ here over the last couple of weeks, and the deer managed to eat over 70lbs worth of corn in one week's time. This is highly unusual given the warm temps and the fact that the deer have not traditionally eaten that much when it is that warm.

Offline bear991

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 04:34:41 PM »
My parents lived south of Macon, close to Eastman, we hunted in the swamp and planted soy beans and peanuts in our food plots. They would tear those soy beans and young peanuts up. Soy beans really bulked them up. Turkey really liked the soy beans
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do- The Duke

Bear

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM