BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Ditching the off-roading hobby.......  (Read 2674 times)

fatrat

Re: Ditching the off-roading hobby.......
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2008, 09:33:17 PM »
Because the whole point here is "Why own an off-road vehicle if I am 2.5 hours from the closest wheeling facility"??  I am 40 minutes from Brainerd Drag Strip.

Keep the jeep and get a fox body!  That way you can have fun going fast and slow!!! {toast}

BigJerm

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2008, 11:19:13 PM »
Because the whole point here is "Why own an off-road vehicle if I am 2.5 hours from the closest wheeling facility"??  I am 40 minutes from Brainerd Drag Strip.

I feel ya. I actually started a post like this one on my old local car club forum and most people had the idea of taking the Jeep to stock and just driving it. My point was, if I cant take it off road, there is no point in putting up with the slow, low mpg, no security soft top (and leaky) jeep. All the negatives are well worth it when you can hit the trails more than once a month. Take away the trails and now your just someone driving a really impractical vehicle. With you at least the XJ can double as a normal SUV but if you don’t have the need for it, again, why have it?

Me, I talked to Megan about this today. I am in it till the end I guess. Trading the Jeep just doesn’t make sense for me and the tires will last at least another year with my short commute now. I won’t ever turn to illegal wheeling. At that point, I will get rid of the Jeep.

Offline Alex

• Visitor
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2008, 09:05:39 AM »
I dont think that trails are going to go away as quickly as you might think.  I will never sell the jeep.  I love driving it and i love wheeling it.  There will always be private parks and new ones will come along.  Molly is going to cut back my trail riding until we have more money but to me it is worth it to only get to ride 4 or 5 times a year because i truly love the sport and the hobby.  Once i started building stuff is when it became so much fun to me.

BigJerm

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2008, 09:23:35 AM »
  Molly is going to cut back my trail riding until we have more money

I am starting to realize this moving in with Megan...  :hlp

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2008, 11:44:06 AM »
  Molly is going to cut back my trail riding until we have more money

I am starting to realize this moving in with Megan...  :hlp

HA! Funny. As long as you still get to do it your fine.
I've grown tired of this.

Offline jeepinjon

• Visitor
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2008, 01:33:12 PM »
Sadly, as I have posted before, I gave up the offroading hobby a couple months ago.  Between getting married, buying a house, the price of fuel, and the chance/expense of breakage I had to give it up.  I now have a more practical vehicle that offers more room and better fuel economy.  You could say it's more boring than the top-down Jeep but hey, I have rekindled my interest in my mountain bike and have gotten into kayaking.  So I still get to have fun outdoors without the expense of fuel and breakage plus the new activities get me in shape!
1977 CJ5

BigJerm

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2008, 01:47:03 PM »
what are you in now Jon? I have given thought to a more mpg savy 4x4 like a Patriot. Ive wanted to get more into hiking and the mountain bike trails ive read about seem pretty cool. It would take awhile before I was in that kind of shape but it would be fun I think

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2008, 01:50:02 PM »
You guys wanna ride MTBs just let me know! I know afew good spots. One real nice place in Helen and I have a park 2 miles from my house with a 12 mile loop.

BigJerm

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2008, 01:57:39 PM »
Nice. Really it just comes down to I love the outdoors. I figure if our trails stay under attack and keep getting closed then the private parks will have so many rides going on you will have to book 3 months in advance. There are other ways to be out doors. Hiking, mountain bikes, fishing, ect. I mean I am sure eventually those will be looked upon as harmful as well but they will be last to go.

I can get a nifty bike rack to go in the receiver of the JK, not sure it will clear that 35" on the back though... Maybe a roof rack instead.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2008, 01:58:39 PM »
Plenty of racks out there. I need to get one for sure. I takes up ALL the back on mine.

BigJerm

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2008, 02:01:50 PM »
well I got to get back in shape first. Need to hit the gym hard, start running then I need to get another bike. Ill spend time riding it in the apartment complex first (lots of hills) and then maybe by late fall I can attempt to real trails without suffering a heart attack

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2008, 02:32:16 PM »
I ride the bike atleast 3 days a week and try to do the 12 mile loop once a week. It does not take long to get back in it.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM