BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Ditching the off-roading hobby.......  (Read 2680 times)

Offline jeepinjon

• Visitor
Re: Ditching the off-roading hobby.......
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2008, 03:12:46 PM »
Jerm- I ended up in an 05 GMC Canyon crew cab 2wd.  It has the offroad suspension so it sits higher without the mpg hit of 4wd.  I like it so far and every tank has gotten over 20 mpg!  It has plenty of room for camping/boating/biking junk as well as room for the dogs.  We have three! 

Krawler-  Where is the loop trail close to your house?  Fort Yargo?  I also have a spare tire mount bike rack from my Jeep if you're interested.  It's a Thule Road Gear I believe and it is like brand new.
1977 CJ5

fatrat

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2008, 04:43:29 PM »
I have been thinking about getting back in to mtn biking as well.  I used to do it all the time and there are a LOT of good places to ride around N. Georgia (Chicopee woods in gainesville used to be one of my favorites).

When I had my TJ I used to have one of these bike fork mounts below attached to the roll bar with 3 heavy duty screw clamps (pipe clamps) and then the rear wheel just sat on top of the tailgate.  Obviously the top has to be down but who's top is ever up in a wrangler?

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2008, 04:46:27 PM »
Jerm- I ended up in an 05 GMC Canyon crew cab 2wd.  It has the offroad suspension so it sits higher without the mpg hit of 4wd.  I like it so far and every tank has gotten over 20 mpg!  It has plenty of room for camping/boating/biking junk as well as room for the dogs.  We have three! 

Krawler-  Where is the loop trail close to your house?  Fort Yargo?  I also have a spare tire mount bike rack from my Jeep if you're interested.  It's a Thule Road Gear I believe and it is like brand new.

Yes, fort yargo. Nice trail system. No jumps or anything cool like that though. I talked to the guys who maintain and make the trails about making some ladder bridges and jumps etc. Check out this video. I want to go out west somethin fierce!!!
I've grown tired of this.

Offline jeepinjon

• Visitor
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2008, 04:50:45 PM »
I've heard Fort Yargo is an awesome place!  I should almost definitely be out there either Sunday or Monday this weekend.  The wife and I are going to bring our kayaks and mess around in the lake there.
1977 CJ5

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2008, 06:23:46 PM »
Yes, fort yargo. Nice trail system. No jumps or anything cool like that though. I talked to the guys who maintain and make the trails about making some ladder bridges and jumps etc. Check out this video. I want to go out west somethin fierce!!!

I've always wanted to get into downhill, it looks AWESOME, some of the downhill rigs cost as much as our wheeling rigs though.

I used to ride 6 or so miles almost every day, kind of stopped when I got the XJ - and gained 20 lbs. I went riding recently just to see how much it beat me, and it kicked my butt. Besides having a heart attack or 4, I went off a jump at about 20 mph and landed on a patch of pinestraw in the middle of the trail, swerved towards a tree, laid down the bike at the last second, and slid fetal position - head first - into another tree. All I have to say is: WEAR A HELMET. If that thing didn't save my life, it atleast saved me from serious injury. Anyone ever see a nice Giro helmet almost split in half?
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

Offline ADAM

• Visitor
  • I have lost my MIND!!!
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2008, 07:28:28 PM »
lets get back on topic. all I can say is there is no way that I will ditch this sport. as most of yall know I only get to ride once a blue moon but when I do it makes me glad that I have the rig I have and the money I have invested into it. 
Don't know what I got anymore...

tgrt

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2008, 08:44:08 PM »
I am starting to realize this moving in with Megan...  :hlp

Sharon isn't much better, but she isn't good with money (I handle it).  Therefore, her response is to get something in return for my trips.  I have to let her go nuts with interior decorating, because I used all of our extra money from the last year to do my build-up.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2008, 09:16:49 PM »
We can make a difference.  Great reads at United Four Wheel Drive Associations Southeast page. http://www.ufwda.org/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=ac5c31baa1fd70ec554039c3f48b28ad&board=44.0

I need to sell my co-pilot seat on a trip to Tellico, and donate the money to the cause.  The public sites may be a fight, but I do believe the pendulum will swing the other way at some point, OUR way. 

Even through we can build private parks and rock gardens, there is absolutely no substitute for crawlin up Tellico trails, breathing that fresh air, absorbing the heavenly scenery and peacefulness of the mountains, knowing it's one of God's favorite creations for guys like you and me.   My kids will be wheelin when I'm old (er) ;D

Chris, you can take the boy out of wheelin, but you can't take wheelin out of the boy!

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2008, 09:44:29 PM »
Right on Doug! Nothing like a natural God made place to wheel! Tellico will probably always be my fav!
I've grown tired of this.

Offline jeepinjon

• Visitor
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2008, 09:41:42 AM »
That was the biggest draw to offroading for me.  I very much prefer the public lands over private.  I wish I lived out west where you can do true "destination" type wheeling.  I think having an expedition rig set up would be awesome!
1977 CJ5

Diehard

« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2008, 02:13:13 PM »
Howdy Y'all.
I'm kinda in limbo till my Jeep gets fixed, but offroading is one of the few things I have left. Scuba,(which can be expensive also), was my favorite, but now is more difficult as is so many other things I use to do. Offroading I still can do independently, unless I get stuck. :D. I feel I don't want to do an activity if I'm going to need a lot of help and be a burden to others. Yes I do need help if i get stuck, but who usually doesn't? I try to have all the necessary equipment so when I need help all I need is an able body or two.
Yes the price of gas is an issue, but the cost of almost everything is going up. You just have to go less often if you can't afford it.
I enjoy getting outside,the woods, the scenery, the company. Biking is out, canoeing possible, but still a difficulty factor, like Scuba, I don't want to contend with.
There are more places opening, yes I know they are private, but it still is a place to go. I'm still looking at buying a few acres and having my own place to ride and get away. If I do y'all be invited. ;D
I hope to get the Jeep back soon and get some wheelin' in this year.
I also have plans for next year since the Jeep will be my offroad toy now.
Put the Jeep away and wait to see if things improve before you get rid of it.
Hope to see you again on the trails.
I want to thank you for being one of my first memories of my offroading experiences.  {toast}

BigJerm

« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2008, 02:16:13 PM »
Always good to hear from you Vince.

I want to thank you for being one of my first memories of my offroading experiences.  {toast}

I hope it was a good one!

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM