BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Craigslist/Good Deal Thread  (Read 214190 times)

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Craigslist/Good Deal Thread
« Reply #2484 on: January 02, 2016, 10:24:50 AM »
Who wants a gooseneck?  I want dibs on your trailer if someone upgrades.

circle w gooseneck 14000 gvw
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/hvo/5384079623.html
Not a bad trailer. For those that don't know, a gooseneck will pull better, distribute weight better, and a better ride without creating the leverage a bumper pull does.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2485 on: January 02, 2016, 07:11:40 PM »

Not a bad trailer. For those that don't know, a gooseneck will pull better, distribute weight better, and a better ride without creating the leverage a bumper pull does.

Cons are you lose your bed space though.  @jc79 made the switch from goose.
Very little. I pack around without a problem and haven't ran out of space. The benefits of them out way that minor detail.

My next trailer is an enclosed gooseneck.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2486 on: January 02, 2016, 07:25:36 PM »
Can't pull a goose with a Motor home.

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #2487 on: January 02, 2016, 08:26:05 PM »

Very little. I pack around without a problem and haven't ran out of space. The benefits of them out way that minor detail.

My next trailer is an enclosed gooseneck.

I disagree but to each their own :)

There is that other benefit of Jay getting a smoking deal on someone's pull behind trailer. Haha.
Jay

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #2488 on: January 02, 2016, 09:03:36 PM »

The key is covered storage. I love having a tonneau cover on the bed. Not possible with gooseneck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2489 on: January 02, 2016, 09:13:33 PM »

Don (@BigPrince), what exactly do you mean by "you lose your bed space".  Do you mean the bed is unusable?

Jared (@jc79), did your gooseneck mount take up more space than the mount in the picture below?

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2490 on: January 02, 2016, 09:15:16 PM »

Don (@BigPrince), what exactly do you mean by "you lose your bed space".  Do you mean the bed is unusable?

Jared (@jc79), did your gooseneck mount take up more space than the mount in the picture below?

It doesn't have to. All of that mounts underneath my bed. Just the ball sticks up, but then the ball can be flipped upside down and it's like nothing is there.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2491 on: January 02, 2016, 09:29:09 PM »

It doesn't have to. All of that mounts underneath my bed. Just the ball sticks up, but then the ball can be flipped upside down and it's like nothing is there.

I know...but in almost a worst case scenario that hitch in the picture takes up the most bed space for a gooseneck, which leaves almost all of the room in front of it (towards the cab), behind it (towards the tailgate), and most of the left and right sides usable. 

Before pulling Doug's trailer to Moab, I thought goosenecks meant no more storage in the bed, but I learned on that trip how much space is still available.  We had a lot of crap jammed in the bed (coolers, water, 27 gallon storage bins, floor jack, DEF boxes, drive shafts, and some other stuff).  Now, as Jared pointed out, it was not covered, so your stuff has to be waterproof or water resistant.  I just want to make sure that other people who have not pulled a gooseneck understand that you can get it arranged so that you don't lose all of your bed space and in fact, you only limit a few things:
- Height of stuff in the bed from the front of the gooseneck hitch to the back of the bed (i.e., in front of the gooseneck hitch you can go tall).
- Dryness of stuff in the bed
- Nothing can be placed where the gooseneck connects to the hitch (two objects cannot occupy the same space stuff)
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2492 on: January 02, 2016, 09:32:42 PM »
Not quoting the long post, but that's exactly correct. If you need something to stay dry, just buy those big cheap plastic totes at Walmart. I packed it out with all kinds of stuff and strapped it down to the trailer. Stayed dry when it rained that weekend .
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2493 on: January 02, 2016, 10:08:46 PM »
Good point about possible security risk.  I did put my stuff I wanted dry in my Jeep.

I think I would not want to go too much higher on the bumper pull than I'm at now.  Encountering an expansion joint like those outside of Chattanooga (on the way to AOP) without prior warning and at higher weight would make me very uncomfortable.

What cover are you going with?

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2494 on: January 02, 2016, 11:13:14 PM »
Good point about possible security risk.  I did put my stuff I wanted dry in my Jeep.

I think I would not want to go too much higher on the bumper pull than I'm at now.  Encountering an expansion joint like those outside of Chattanooga (on the way to AOP) without prior warning and at higher weight would make me very uncomfortable.

What cover are you going with?

- Torg

I want a Retrax PowertraxPro but I'm not sure I want to spend that much.  Pace Edwards Bedlocker is cheaper but it sure sounds like a struggling motor.
Damn, unless I'm storing gold under that, it would be hard to justify the cost of the Retrax or the Pace Edwards.  Can you get an 8' version and only extend it to the length of your current truck bed?  That way you could take it from truck to truck, unless you get something like the Ram Storage box in the bed sides.

I've had a soft tonneau cover on a truck bed for the last 6.5 years and I've never had anyone cut it to get to whatever stuff may be beneath it.  YMMV

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2495 on: January 02, 2016, 11:29:36 PM »
For weight, use air bags. Keeps it from squatting a lot. It's on my list to do as I was a 32 - 34ft enclosed gooseneck.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM