BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Craigslist/Good Deal Thread  (Read 214625 times)

Offline Cleveland99

• Visitor

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Craigslist/Good Deal Thread
« Reply #2521 on: February 05, 2016, 10:20:05 AM »
Any clue what it will take to get it to pass emissions?

- Torg
Call the inspection folks. I bet nothing more than a simple inspection. I think the motor cannot be newer than the rig and if so, it clears as its an 04 block. Never hurts to pick up the phone.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #2522 on: February 05, 2016, 10:21:28 AM »

Any clue what it will take to get it to pass emissions?

- Torg
Call the inspection folks. I bet nothing more than a simple inspection. I think the motor cannot be newer than the rig and if so, it clears as its an 04 block. Never hurts to pick up the phone.

I always thought it was the other way around, but I could have easily gotten that mixed up. I was under the impression motor had to be newer than car.
Jay

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #2523 on: February 05, 2016, 12:05:48 PM »
It's straightforward to delete sensors on LS motors to pass emissions, and to put the VIN into the computer.  It's very likely much of this has already been done assuming CEL is off.

AFAIK the newer than frame requirement is only for rebuilt titles, but since it's passed inspection and is tagged in TN I doubt there's an issue.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #2524 on: February 05, 2016, 01:23:43 PM »
The GA Clean Air Force website is not very clear but it does reference the EPA Clean Air Act rules and this engine swapping fact sheet. Typical of most regulations it leaves me with a lot of questions.

See the statement on GA's site saying Hot Tods must confirm to the EPA's standard for engine switching:

http://www.cleanairforce.com/motorists/waivers-extensions-exemptions/exemptions/

http://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/engswitch_0.pdf

It reads as what I have always heard which the engine needs to be same model year or newer as the chassis.

I would be curious to see what would actually happen at an inspection station when you pulling in the jeep which clearly was never offered with a V8. How in depth would the inspector look into it before plugging into the OBD2 port and reading the correct Jeep VIN and no CEL light or monitors on.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2525 on: February 05, 2016, 02:10:45 PM »

I would be curious to see what would actually happen at an inspection station when you pulling in the jeep which clearly was never offered with a V8. How in depth would the inspector look into it before plugging into the OBD2 port and reading the correct Jeep VIN and no CEL light or monitors on.

I'd love to drag that thing down to my emissions station (the local car wash) and have them run it.  The kids that work there don't usually do anything other than tell me how much they love the current vehicle being tested (well, no one ever praised the Tundra). 

I spoke with Cobb County Tag and they said the only way to exempt the emissions for this vehicle was to get a waiver from the Clean Air people...So, I tried to actually reach one of them...they have the automated phone system setup such that you can't reach a real person! 

My Jeep has the CEL lit...I think on the 98 you can reset it and go immediately and it will pass.

If I go see this thing, I'll take my code reader and see what it spits out of the OBDII.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #2526 on: February 05, 2016, 02:14:10 PM »
love living in Hall County.....
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2527 on: February 05, 2016, 02:14:56 PM »
love living in Hall County.....

Can you sell me like 1/10th of an acre that has a mailing address? :)
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #2528 on: February 05, 2016, 02:15:58 PM »
$$$$
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2529 on: February 05, 2016, 02:16:27 PM »

I'd love to drag that thing down to my emissions station (the local car wash) and have them run it.  The kids that work there don't usually do anything other than tell me how much they love the current vehicle being tested (well, no one ever praised the Tundra). 

I spoke with Cobb County Tag and they said the only way to exempt the emissions for this vehicle was to get a waiver from the Clean Air people...So, I tried to actually reach one of them...they have the automated phone system setup such that you can't reach a real person! 

My Jeep has the CEL lit...I think on the 98 you can reset it and go immediately and it will pass.

If I go see this thing, I'll take my code reader and see what it spits out of the OBDII.
On The past two trucks I've had,  if you reset the CEL,  you need to drive it ~200mi for it to have data to read. 

What year were they?  I was under the impression the industry figured out people were doing the reset and emissions test close together, so they implemented the driving delay requirement.  I thought that happened around 2000.  IDK for sure.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2530 on: February 05, 2016, 02:16:43 PM »
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2531 on: February 05, 2016, 02:29:51 PM »

On The past two trucks I've had,  if you reset the CEL,  you need to drive it ~200mi for it to have data to read. 

What year were they?  I was under the impression the industry figured out people were doing the reset and emissions test close together, so they implemented the driving delay requirement.  I thought that happened around 2000.  IDK for sure.

More research yielded better knowledge:
- 96 to 99 vehicles can have two (2) 'not ready' status codes
- >99 vehicles can have only one (1) 'not ready' status codes

One of many indisputable, fact based information locations with this information (forums on the internet populated by regular folks):
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2025743-Emissions-clarification-how-many-not-ready-codes-allowed
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM