BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Craigslist/Good Deal Thread  (Read 215375 times)

Offline Uncle Randy

• Visitor
  • Cherish every minute
Re: Craigslist/Good Deal Thread
« Reply #3132 on: March 12, 2017, 12:29:01 PM »
Randy
'06TJ
Treekiller

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3133 on: March 12, 2017, 12:34:55 PM »
Pretty cool dedicated rock crawler.

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=55342.0
So guys what else would you change on this rig other than the transfer case eventually? 

Who wheels without air conditioning? I know all the buggies and most of us have no top or doorsf but like cold air in the face on a hot day. 

I plan on wiring up one of those 12v fans like school bus drivers have this summer. I think just moving some air around will help tremendously
I saw a buggy at CFR that had a double electric radiator fan mounted to the b pillar to move air around.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #3134 on: March 12, 2017, 12:42:50 PM »
Top and doors that work are a nice thing that it has.

Are those the sticky tires or do they sell them both ways?

Don't know but like John I might run them a couple times since I have them and get something else.  I'm just not an Interco fan unless you're running a bouncer and they seem to have the market there. 

Sounds like you are ready to call and get us some more info and pics?  :)  I can't tell enough from the pics on HL and would definitely want more.  My concern with rigs like this is seeing the quality of the welding/tube work from 5ft not 25ft. 
-interior pics for condition
-like to see the cage
-are the axles still full width?  They stick out a lot but since the body is narrowed I'd like to know about that - custom cut spare shafts or stock can change the price on shafts.
-I'm sure for you married guys you might have a problem keeping the trucker girl brackets on the tailgate
-I'd want to see more on the fender wells and maybe have Denny/Danny form up some tube work to provide rigidity to them. Poster says full armor and that might not be needed but can't tell the thickness of those fenders.
-Does the rear taillight function as a turn signal? If not, while not on the road much with this one, I'd want to add some small turn signals.  Think running between trails on public roads in Moab.
-I'd have to add A/C back.  I'd need more pics to see how much room we are/aren't working with for the compressor/etc.  Going back to interior to see if the controls and vents are still there.
-John's LJ has MC seats and they were narrow for me, might be a me thing but I'd go in thinking I may need to swap seats. Given that thought I'd be looking at the cage work to see how doable that is
-Atlas and hence shafts as mentioned
-I'd make sure that is a D60 and not a D50 given the year range of the front axle.
-I'd want to know more on the engine - donor model/year, anything done to it, mileage before/after, who did the install, is the dash a christmas tree with some black electricians tape covering the check engine light or not, etc - some of this matters less with an older TJ of course.
-I'd plan on an arb install on both axles.  Personal Preference.
-I'd want to see pics of the fuel cell and see how well that is done.  With the wide open fender it might be awesome to try to put a fill cap there external to the body so you don't drip inside.  Of course it could be a mud collector too.. so, devil would be in the details.
-Looks like surface rust on the front fender/hood and would want to check on that to ensure that is all it is.

I'm a stickler when buying things and some of this is easy to check off but thought I'd mention it.  It's definitely an enticing rig if I didn't have to spend 7-10k having trees taken down.
Great stuff thanks

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3135 on: March 12, 2017, 12:45:48 PM »
-John's LJ has MC seats and they were narrow for me, might be a me thing but I'd go in thinking I may need to swap seats. Given that thought I'd be looking at the cage work to see how doable that is
Good call, the Mastercraft seats in the LJ are the Sahara model and I also find them a bit too narrow and will be replacing them in the near future.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #3136 on: March 12, 2017, 12:46:14 PM »
anybody know how the 700r4 transmission will hold up?
http://etereman.com/blog/general-motors-transmission/what-you-need-to-know-before-you-buy-a-gm-with-a-700r4-transmission
Mine in the Tahoe went 289,000 miles and you know it towed a lot including the jku to moab over the Rockies once.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3137 on: March 12, 2017, 12:47:00 PM »
I run a.c. when wheeling, especially when stuck on a trail while someone who should have pulled winch rope 10 minutes ago still tries to make an obstacle.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #3138 on: March 12, 2017, 12:47:22 PM »

Pretty cool dedicated rock crawler.

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=55342.0
So guys what else would you change on this rig other than the transfer case eventually? 

Who wheels without air conditioning? I know all the buggies and most of us have no top or doorsf but like cold air in the face on a hot day. 

I don't turn the AC on when wheeling.  My top is down and either doors off or half doors....AC doesn't do a damn thing. 

If this was a perfect rig for you, other than the lack of AC, it can be added for less than $1000.  When I was looking at that stretched Gold TJ from up north with the LQ9 motor I looked into adding AC.

I don't think there is a square inch of room under this rigs hood.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #3139 on: March 12, 2017, 01:25:21 PM »
-Looks like surface rust on the front fender/hood and would want to check on that to ensure that is all it is.
Where do you see this? Maybe i need to get on a pc?

Edit.. under the hood?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 01:28:56 PM by Doug »

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3140 on: March 12, 2017, 02:07:09 PM »

Could be nothing, could be dirt, it's a step up from Clark but far below a John level engine bay.

More so looking at they body/pinch areas but pointing out the obvious scuffs on the tubework too.
Wow...an unforced swipe...nicely done!
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3141 on: March 12, 2017, 02:36:08 PM »
Good call, the Mastercraft seats in the LJ are the Sahara model and I also find them a bit too narrow and will be replacing them in the near future.

When changing seats a lot of the tabs (if hard mounted) are not the same so new tabs and making sure the harness are the set correctly will need to be looked at.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #3142 on: March 12, 2017, 02:46:20 PM »
Man you're going all show car on me talking johns anything lol.

Johns would sell for a few thousand more than this. :-
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 04:33:41 PM by Doug »

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #3143 on: March 12, 2017, 02:52:03 PM »
700r4 tranny isn't an issue.  My buggy had one with the Northstar V8.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM