BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Welding  (Read 955 times)

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
Welding
« on: February 02, 2017, 08:39:24 AM »
I want to learn to weld.  I used to be a heavy equipment mechanic a million years ago and could stick (arc) weld fairly decent.  I've never used a MIG or TIG welder but want to buy one.  First I want to learn how to weld using one.  I'll need help deciding which one to buy. 

I take on car/truck/motorcycle restorations every few years and that is the hobby that I'll be primarily engaged in when I retire in 9 years.  I plan to have a very large shop behind my retirement home.  I also want to install my own cage when I go down that road.  So basically I want to be able to weld sheet metal, metal plate, and tubing.

What welder - MIG or TIG

How much should I budget for a welder?

Where to learn to weld? - my buddy went to some adult education at a tech school in Cartersville or Rome about 10 years ago.

Offline Gerund

• Visitor
  • Jerald -- Lawrenceville
Re: Welding
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 09:17:20 AM »
Seems we have similar interests but not starting off points.  I've never stick welded.  And, I'm much further from purchasing.

Still, I'll be very interested in the responses you get and what you decide on doing.

I have looked at both Lanier Technical and Hobart.   Lanier Tech is obviously local and they do offer night courses.  Hobart gives one and two week courses that seem appropriate.   They are in Troy, OH though - so it's a big commitment and expense.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 09:21:52 AM »
When I bought my welder, I contacted a couple of tech schools to try to audit a welding degree (set of classes).  They all wanted me to pay for full certification, not a smaller amount to just learn.  I went to YouTube, as you've seen my awesome welding skills.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Gerund

• Visitor
  • Jerald -- Lawrenceville
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 10:02:38 AM »
When I bought my welder, I contacted a couple of tech schools to try to audit a welding degree (set of classes).  They all wanted me to pay for full certification, not a smaller amount to just learn.

Did they want you to pay up front for the entire cert?

The Advanced Shielded Metal Arc Welder cert at Lanier is 12 credits (3 classes).  And, from what I understand, you pay by learning period.  I guess I should find out though.

I went to YouTube, as you've seen my awesome welding skills.

For the physical aspects of welding, I can see YouTube and practice helping you learn.  I'd be worried about safety though.  And, some of the more technical aspects of amperage and gas mixture.

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 10:25:33 AM »
MIG is great and very user friendly. A nice 220v machine will be able to do everything you're asking, and some of the units these days are multi-purpose MIG/TIG/stick. Miller makes great products, and their price tag reflects it.

I currently have a 110v Northern Tool welder. I plan on replacing it with their 220 Multi purpose welder one day ($600ish) unless I find a smoking deal on a miller

Practice, practice, practice. I haven't taken any classes, but I would like to some day.

Add a plasma cutter to your collection if you plan on fabbing any replacement or custom parts yourself

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 10:47:16 AM »
I think one of the multiprocess machines would be your best bet. Probably should stick with a dc tig as you probably wont ever be welding aluminum. I think esab makes some nice machines that are a little cheaper. We run all millers up here at the shop. We have  miller 350p and 210 mig machines. We also have a small dc 280 amp tig and a dynasty 350 tig. Its awesome and makes tig much easier than a standard tig. (even i can). My other suggestion is to spring for a 220 volt machine vs a 110. Also try and find an old timer to teach you. It really doesn't take much coaching  to get you in the right position on mig and the right settings. At that point burn a couple rolls of wire and you should be there. Miller also has a nice app that helps with the settings.

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 11:01:42 AM »
I think one of the multiprocess machines would be your best bet. Probably should stick with a dc tig as you probably wont ever be welding aluminum. I think esab makes some nice machines that are a little cheaper. We run all millers up here at the shop. We have  miller 350p and 210 mig machines. We also have a small dc 280 amp tig and a dynasty 350 tig. Its awesome and makes tig much easier than a standard tig. (even i can). My other suggestion is to spring for a 220 volt machine vs a 110. Also try and find an old timer to teach you. It really doesn't take much coaching  to get you in the right position on mig and the right settings. At that point burn a couple rolls of wire and you should be there. Miller also has a nice app that helps with the settings.

i dont necessarily disagree with all this, but if he doesnt want to weld 10hrs a day and spend $3k on a machine then those high end Millers and Lincolns are overkill. A 110 mig unit is fine for any home shop, the one thing they wont do is run for long, the cycle time is low and you have to stop and wait. Moneywise, you cannot beat a Hobart ironman 230, its super easy to setup and for around $6-700 you can have a killer 220v mig welder that comes with an aluminum spool gun to do small aluminum jobs, only extra thing you will need is a small bottle of straight argon to run with the spool gun. Then you can spend the extra money you saved on a 50A plasma cutter and a nice compressor and/or other tools you need. This is only the opinion of a career bodyman tho, not a professional welder. Tig is a waste of time to learn and spend money on unless you are gonna build race cars or try to make money at welding.. mig, .030 wire, c25 gas, and go
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 11:18:01 AM »
I have a Hobart 220v. Haven't had an issues with mine but it doesn't have a lot of use.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 11:25:24 AM »

i dont necessarily disagree with all this, but if he doesnt want to weld 10hrs a day and spend $3k on a machine then those high end Millers and Lincolns are overkill. A 110 mig unit is fine for any home shop, the one thing they wont do is run for long, the cycle time is low and you have to stop and wait. Moneywise, you cannot beat a Hobart ironman 230, its super easy to setup and for around $6-700 you can have a killer 220v mig welder that comes with an aluminum spool gun to do small aluminum jobs, only extra thing you will need is a small bottle of straight argon to run with the spool gun. Then you can spend the extra money you saved on a 50A plasma cutter and a nice compressor and/or other tools you need. This is only the opinion of a career bodyman tho, not a professional welder. Tig is a waste of time to learn and spend money on unless you are gonna build race cars or try to make money at welding.. mig, .030 wire, c25 gas, and go

100 percent agree that millers are overkill for the at home do it yourself type person. For us there is no other choice as we are sometimes welding for weeks at a time 10 plus hours a day.

Offline wiffle9

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 11:48:55 AM »
A 220v mig machine will serve you well. I weld all of the things you described and my Snap-0n (rebadged Lincoln) 220v machine does it all. As far as learning goes, YouTube videos will help but practice is key.

I would suggest to spend good money on a quality auto-darkening helmet. I have 10 year old Miller Elite helmets, the extra large lens is nice.
Clay, Nichole, Aaron, and Myles

Stretched M38

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 12:37:05 PM »
I appreciate the good info here as well.

Hayden bought a cheap HF 90 flux core welder a month or so ago and we have been playing with it.  I plan to buy a mig welder once we get CFR done and out of the way and really start to practice. 

I had a very hard time getting anything that looked like a good weld with the flux core and fairly cheap auto darkening hood.  Couldn't really see well and there was splatter everywhere.  I have used a mig welder a little in the past and feel pretty confident that I'll get better with using that type of machine along with practice.

My first project right now will be drive over fenders for the trailer.  If that comes out pretty good I am going to step it up a notch and weld myself a Duramax.   

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 12:42:01 PM »
If you go plasma, get a big ass air compressor while you're at it.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM