BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Securing your Rig on a trailer discussion  (Read 3010 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Securing your Rig on a trailer discussion
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2017, 02:55:27 PM »
on thing i dont get is just like the x vs non x argument is at least go to opposite corners rather than straight forward or back, even if you dont cross, if not then there is no side to side tension at all. stirring the pot..

Tight straight forward and back can't move side to side.
id say the same about tight from the frame. if tight like it should be.

Are you saying tied down tight from the frame shouldn't move? A severe down bump will compress it more than the tie down force and make the straps bounce, and stretch them or work them loose.  The only way I felt that worked was when I pulled it down onto the bump stops hard. 

thats what im saying, if its tight enough then theres no way it could move, unless you are prerunning with your trailer attached. we may all just have to agree to disagree on this topic, just like which radio is better.

Which radio do you think is better?
Not even gonna take this bait lol. I got flamed not even a week after joining this forum for even suggesting the use of non cb radios.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Damn, Justin...now you want us to switch freaking radios, again...incredible.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline RedDragonATL

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2017, 08:31:10 AM »
Reviving this thread in light of my "about to be towing" status (I think I'm gonna get the Gatormade 18' equipment trailer).

Can someone post a link to the strap kit mentioned in here...either a Summit one or the Mac one.  I see Mac stuff on the Summit site, but not sure what is best.  If not a kit, what length straps are you guys using?  Carry extras?

Probably looking to weld some d-rings on.  Which ones (with links) would you recommend?

Also, what about a weight distribution hitch?  Yes/no/recommendations?  I just have a regular ball at the moment.  Not sure if the trailer places sell those (going to look today, hopefully!)

One other thing...I know some of you guys move your rig a little forwards or backwards for "balance" or trying to achieve a certain weight on the tongue.  What advice can you give about that? 

I am totally new to towing, and frankly, it makes me a good bit nervous.  I'm already driving a rig (the Yukon) that is bigger than I'm used to and now I'll have 20+ additional feet hanging off the back of me. Any advice is welcome!

Jason

I'd like to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

2001 Jeep TJ, Cooper STT Pro 35s, 4.56s, D30 Spartan front, D44 ARB rear,Fender armor, sliders

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Securing your Rig on a trailer discussion
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2017, 08:39:37 AM »
On straps, I have been very happy with my Mac ratchet straps with separate axle straps.  The ratchet straps have hooks with spring retainers that clip into the axle straps. There is no way for them to disconnect once engaged. They can be used with d-rings too. I'll track down the link from Amazon for the ones I bought.

These are the ones I have.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/mtd-511208
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:46:14 AM by jd30005 »
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2017, 08:53:35 AM »
Another vote for macs ratchet straps. I believe allsouth sells them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2017, 08:54:39 AM »
Do you want us to order and weld the rings on for you? 

I am sure we'll have a crew who can strap your jeep down, just tell us where and when.

Since your trailer is 18' long, figure you need no more than 9' straps for this application.  Let me know if you find heavy duty straps shorter than that, and post a link ;) 

Are you going to do body/frame, or axle strap downs?  Crossed or straight?

I have observed so many Mac straps come loose, that I'm no longer interested in that brand; It's a good thing they come with safety clips.  I've had one of my straps come loose before, but I consistently see it with Mac strap users.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline RedDragonATL

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2017, 08:59:40 AM »

Yeah, if it's not too much trouble.  Well, even if it is...
Jason

2001 Jeep TJ, Cooper STT Pro 35s, 4.56s, D30 Spartan front, D44 ARB rear,Fender armor, sliders

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2017, 09:03:50 AM »

I am sure we'll have a crew who can strap your jeep down, just tell us where and when.

Since your trailer is 18' long, figure you need no more than 9' straps for this application.  Let me know if you find heavy duty straps shorter than that, and post a link ;) 

Are you going to do body/frame, or axle strap downs?  Crossed or straight?

I have observed so many Mac straps come loose, that I'm no longer interested in that brand; It's a good thing they come with safety clips.  I've had one of my straps come loose before, but I consistently see it with Mac strap users.

Wait - who lost a strap on the MoabCo trip?  It wasn't a Mac straps owner.
I noted that...but who nearly threw their jeep off the trailer and bought a new trailer because of it? 

I'm just stating that I've seen way too many Mac straps come loose, to the point I'm no longer a fan.  It could have been user error, but I'm suspicious of the seat belt material they use coming loose.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline RedDragonATL

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2017, 09:04:51 AM »
https://www.ratchetstraps.com/2-auto-ratchet-strap-and-axle-strap-set
Good deal, there.  Did you get the "standard" webbing or upgrade to the USA made with edge protection?  Opinions on what you got?
Jason

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2017, 09:08:44 AM »
Jason I had axle straps so I went these straps
I like the hooks better than the flat ones
https://www.ratchetstraps.com/2-ratchet-strap-with-slip-hook-assembly

I mounted by D-rings to the frame of
the trailer by using grade 8 hardware
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2017, 09:10:00 AM »
https://www.ratchetstraps.com/2-auto-ratchet-strap-and-axle-strap-set
Good deal, there.  Did you get the "standard" webbing or upgrade to the USA made with edge protection?  Opinions on what you got?

standard
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2017, 09:10:10 AM »
I think a couple of us have this kit from summit. I've also never had a strap work lose. The only "issue" is I wish it came with the Velcro loops for securing the excess strap.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/cmb-29-0012

For a weld on D-ring, I just got the big ones from harbor freight. I'm sure there's a better alternative somewhere else, and it's probably better to get the trailer first and plan your strap ring locations before you purchase the mounts since there's more than one style.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 09:12:25 AM by patman »

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM