BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Securing your Rig on a trailer discussion  (Read 3118 times)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Securing your Rig on a trailer discussion
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2017, 10:14:53 AM »
You guys are overthinking it

So that's how the mall crowd does it.....nice

That is how I tie up the excess strap, mine are really long, making many wraps tight and hooking the bungee to the jeep or trailer.

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2017, 10:19:54 AM »
Yes I know I was trying to join the smart ass club......guess not
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2017, 10:43:00 AM »
I bought my Mac straps in 2012 and have been very happy with them.  A little PB Blaster on the mechanical parts every so often keeps them operating super smooth. 

But they have started to loosen up over time.  I'm sure I could get one more click out of them if I tried, but I start with them tight, and they are always a little loose when I stop or get home.  Maybe 1-2 clicks worth of slack.  I'm not worried about the Jeep coming off based on it, and I assume that any strap material like theirs would do this over time.
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2017, 12:35:27 PM »
I think a couple of us have this kit from summit. I've also never had a strap work lose. The only "issue" is I wish it came with the Velcro loops for securing the excess strap.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/cmb-29-0012

For a weld on D-ring, I just got the big ones from harbor freight. I'm sure there's a better alternative somewhere else, and it's probably better to get the trailer first and plan your strap ring locations before you purchase the mounts since there's more than one style.

I also use that kit from Summit.  Absolutely satisfied with these straps and axle wraps.  Never had an issue with them at all. 

Jason, I would highly recommend a weight distribution hitch.  Take it from a guy that has pulled quite a bit with an SUV rather than a truck...the weight distribution hitch makes a world of difference.  I have never used the anti-sway part, just the weight distribution bars.  I wouldn't tow with an SUV without them. 

Airbags are great and do a perfect job of leveling the rear so it is not squatting down but they don't distribute an weight through out frame of the tow vehicle.  In a 1500 style SUV, both would be optimum but if you had to choose one first....WD hitch.

Look on CL, I got mine there for a fraction of the cost new.  The name brands are solid steel and it's pretty easy to give them a look over and tell if they are in good shape or not.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 12:43:36 PM by tcdawg »

Offline jc79

• Visitor
Securing your Rig on a trailer discussion
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2017, 12:39:43 PM »
I've earmarked the Eaz-Lift brand WD hitch for our Yukon. Great Amazon reviews and only about $225.

Might be a good option if Craigslist doesn't have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 12:40:15 PM by jc79 »
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2017, 12:48:36 PM »
This is why this club kicks ass

I went back through this thread.  There is a heck of a lot of really good info here.

Offline RedDragonATL

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2017, 01:03:47 PM »
This is why this club kicks ass

I went back through this thread.  There is a heck of a lot of really good info here.
Absolutely...and I did try to search and read this thread before just starting a new "Hey, teach me how to load my Jeep" thread.  Everyone is willing to share their knowledge and what they've learned, sometimes the hard way.  Thanks again!
Jason

I'd like to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

2001 Jeep TJ, Cooper STT Pro 35s, 4.56s, D30 Spartan front, D44 ARB rear,Fender armor, sliders

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2017, 01:25:35 PM »
I bought my Mac straps in 2012 and have been very happy with them.  A little PB Blaster on the mechanical parts every so often keeps them operating super smooth. 

But they have started to loosen up over time.  I'm sure I could get one more click out of them if I tried, but I start with them tight, and they are always a little loose when I stop or get home.  Maybe 1-2 clicks worth of slack.  I'm not worried about the Jeep coming off based on it, and I assume that any strap material like theirs would do this over time.

Do you tie to the axle or the frame?

It seems that straps tied to the frame or bumper always get a little loose from the suspension movement on the ride, but they don't get loose if tied to the axles. 

Axle straps were a MAJOR PITA on the Moab Co trip loading and unloading everyday x 2 rigs x 4 each. 

I recently saw tabs on a guys axle for tieing down and am thinking I'll have Danny add front and rear tabs to my axles next time the Jeep is in the shop.   just don't want hem where they are trying to rotate the axle under load rather than pull straight back...so they need to be on the front/back, maybe below center, and low profile.   
Found a couple of options:
https://www.tabzone.com/12077-3-WELD-ON-TIE-DOWN-_p_644.html
http://steinjager.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=30095
Pro's and Cons on that?

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2017, 02:04:39 PM »
I've always tied to the axle.

Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2017, 03:56:40 PM »
I've always tied to the axle.

Likewise.  For the Moab/Co haul I also added straps to the bumpers to eliminate any sway.  But I have never had any issues tied to the axles.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2017, 04:35:18 PM »
In seeing some posts that clearly indicate folks are in denial about their strap tightness.  I'm appreciative of Jared confirming what I have observed.  I don't think it is possible for Wes to keep his straps tight, but that could be user error...Wes don't worry about much!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2017, 05:16:32 PM »
In seeing some posts that clearly indicate folks are in denial about their strap tightness.  I'm appreciative of Jared confirming what I have observed.  I don't think it is possible for Wes to keep his straps tight, but that could be user error...Wes don't worry about much!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wes all chill like...3 out of 4 ain't bad

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM