BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Scout got trail damage.  (Read 881 times)

RotorHead

Scout got trail damage.
« on: May 31, 2008, 08:31:59 PM »
 Today I noticed a wet spot on Scout's hind quarter. I looked to see what he was licking and he had a huge gash. I mean, it was about 4" long and wide open. It wasn't bleeding but he had obviously been licking it.

I looked around the back yard to see what he had gotten hung up on but couldn't find anything. I started thinking about where it could have happened and then it came to me.

Thursday night I met some friends at Loafing Leprechaun by the Gwinnett Arena. Scout was in the Jeep and I went out to check on him after a few drinks. I chunked his frisbee down a big hill and he did his thing. I noticed he didn't come back up right away and saw that he was trying to get back across a silt fence. He must have leaped it on his way down. I whistled for him and called him. I hated doing it because I don't want him to know he can leap fences. Well, he finally picked a spot and crawled over it. He acted like nothing was wrong and fetched several more times. I never threw it down the hill again though.

When I finally noticed it today, I called the vet. It was after hours so I got stuck with a big ole' bill, but they got him fixed up. He got six stitches and some good drugs. They even gave him one of those cool collars, poor guy. Between being doped up from going under and the collar, he's not getting around too well. He can't figure the collar out so he just stops. He only has to wear it for a couple of days.

The vet did an excellent job putting him back together. She cut back the dead tissue and put all of the stitches on the inside. She agreed that the wound was a couple of days old. If I had waited until Monday, they would have had to drain it and cut more tissue away.

Anyway, here are some pics, $500 later.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
Re: Scout got trail damage.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 08:37:16 PM »
Looks pitaful! Your a good daddy! I worked for a vet and I know what it costs! It's all worth it though.
I've grown tired of this.

Chris Hyde

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 10:13:51 PM »
Poor guy.  He will go to the ends of the earth for the bird.

Offline Ben H.

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 11:41:51 PM »
That must kill him to be not able to get around. Hopes he gets better soon.

But I have to say, when I read the title, I thought worse. About 14 years or so ago (wow, I just realized that this happen a really long time ago, man I'm getting old) my dad and brothers and I were out riding on some dirt roads in our old truck. Well, we took our dog out with us (a black lab matter of fact) and she didn't like riding in the back so while we on the dirt roads by dad decided to let her run some. So she would run around the truck and all but never got out of sight. Well, we were rounding a turn and she was running back towards us and my dad accidently hit her. Luckily, since we were going slow it only broke her leg but it still scarred all of us.
1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 12:27:18 AM »
Gosh, glad to know he's ok! He looks so dang sad. Is he gonna make it to Tellico?
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 04:14:01 AM »
Oh my.  Our love for our labs is second only to the family.  Glad you saw it when you did.  Glad he's OK.  Amazing that he wasn't showing more indications that he was hurt.  Look forward to seeing him on the trail again.

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 08:56:56 AM »
Glad he will be OK. Its crazy the kind of pain a dog can endure and pretend to be fine so that they don't look weak.
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

RotorHead

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 11:26:20 AM »
Thanks for you concern everybody. Scout's getting around better now. He's not as groggy. He still hates the collar, but he's not running into as many things. That thing's huge. It looks like a lamp shade. I took it off for a little while last night, but he kept trying to sneak a lick in so I had to put it back on. I should be able to take it off for good tomorrow or the next day at the latest.

He won't be going to Mountainside this weekend, but he should be ready to go for Tellico.

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 01:36:50 PM »
haha poor guy, can't lick himself, can't fetch the bird, and he keeps running into things!  :D
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 01:39:45 PM »
Need him at Tellico! That's our mascot!
I've grown tired of this.

BigJerm

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 09:43:36 PM »
poor scout. get him better for Tellico!

Offline jeepinjon

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 09:04:42 AM »
Man that's terrible but great that he's alright!  We have a chocolate and a yellow lab at our house.  Some really great dogs!  I know you're in Loganville which isn't far from me.  What vet do you use?  We use one off Lawrenceville Hwy. at Beaver Ruin for our non-emergency and boarding needs but I would like to know of a good vet that is closer to home in case of any emergencies.

Thanks
1977 CJ5

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM