BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: more Re-gearing discussion please  (Read 3432 times)

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: more Re-gearing discussion please
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2017, 11:17:55 PM »
Why ARB? The compressor is a added expense. Sure you can slowly air up tires with it but with a E locker it is a lot easier to fix a damaged line/wire on the trail.

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2017, 11:21:12 PM »
I read most of this thread and I'm got lost on who needs axles.

The 44 / whatever combo would be great for 37" tires and get you into a lot of trouble. I have taken 37" and followed 1 tons rigs where people had 39" before.

You could save up and get 37" stickies and trailer your stickies to the park on a small pull trailer behind the jeep.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2017, 07:24:54 AM »
Why ARB? The compressor is a added expense. Sure you can slowly air up tires with it but with a E locker it is a lot easier to fix a damaged line/wire on the trail.

Clark told me this weekend he dislikes his ELockers for a reason I'm sure he can share.  On my TJ, I have a very long air tube (more than twice what's needed) for the ARB with the extra coiled up next to the pump.  If the tube get a puncture I can just cut out the damaged section.  The connectors are push to connect type.

00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2017, 08:15:13 AM »

Clark told me this weekend he dislikes his ELockers for a reason I'm sure he can share.  On my TJ, I have a very long air tube (more than twice what's needed) for the ARB with the extra coiled up next to the pump.  If the tube get a puncture I can just cut out the damaged section.  The connectors are push to connect type.

Electric vs auto vs air lockers

100's of pro's and cons to all of them. This poor thread has been derailed multiple times over. I helped I'm sure. 

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2017, 09:19:35 AM »
Good point that he offers the Elocker that is easier and cheaper with no compressor.

But I of mind that everyone should have on board air so no additional cost there.

When I was buying RockJocks in 2011 Currie did not offer the Eaton Elocker because

In a torque twist to the end of the axle shaft the Eaton locker broke and in the same test with ARB the axle broke. 

They since have strengthened it but the ARB is still stronger.

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2017, 11:57:21 AM »
Both my Jeeps have a Detroit in the front.  TJ has hubs as it gets driven on the street.  ARB in the rear for roadability.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2017, 02:43:04 PM »
Good point that he offers the Elocker that is easier and cheaper with no compressor.

But I of mind that everyone should have on board air so no additional cost there.

When I was buying RockJocks in 2011 Currie did not offer the Eaton Elocker because

In a torque twist to the end of the axle shaft the Eaton locker broke and in the same test with ARB the axle broke. 

They since have strengthened it but the ARB is still stronger.

I welcome the discussion on different lockers. Pros and cons. I agree with Doug that on board air is a useful addition and will eliminate the need to carry one as I am doing now.
In my 1st quote from @Danny Kinder   we were looking at Yukon Zip lockers with the Arb compressor. The Trail boss kit from Dynatrac comes with ARB. I am not sure if there is an option to get it with the Yukon Locker. The Yukon is a couple clams less expensive.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline jc79

• Visitor
more Re-gearing discussion please
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2017, 03:08:27 PM »
I bought axles already locked, with the front being a Detroit. I wouldn't have built it that way then, but I would now. I like that I can't forget to lock it, and more importantly, that it's not reliant on another component (air compressor, air hose, 12v wiring).

I drive mine on the road - with drive flanges - without an issue. Adding selectable hubs would make it an even bigger non issue for on road use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2017, 03:22:16 PM »

The reason I despise my e lockers is the half of a rotation it takes before the locker is locked. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2017, 03:30:19 PM »
I bought axles already locked, with the front being a Detroit. I wouldn't have built it that way then, but I would now. I like that I can't forget to lock it, and more importantly, that it's not reliant on another component (air compressor, air hose, 12v wiring).

I drive mine on the road - with drive flanges - without an issue. Adding selectable hubs would make it an even bigger non issue for on road use.

Great set up isn't it. A few guys out west run that combo so that's why I did it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline Michigunman

• Visitor
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2017, 03:43:54 PM »
I love my ARBs and wouldn't run anything else, barring some free axles falling from the sky.  I like the select-ability and they engage/disengage quick and easy.  I just have the mini compressor that won't air up tires.  I wanted it dedicated for the lockers only.

Mark
2003 TJ Sport with some mods
1998 TJ with more mods

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2017, 03:53:29 PM »
I love my ARBs and wouldn't run anything else, barring some free axles falling from the sky.  I like the select-ability and they engage/disengage quick and easy.  I just have the mini compressor that won't air up tires.  I wanted it dedicated for the lockers only.

I have the dual ARB unit. I had a relay fail, which was OK because each compressor has its own relay and fuse. But it really made me think about how easily a rig could go from two lockers to none in an instant based on a single point of failure.

Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM