BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Traeger Grills  (Read 2641 times)

Offline msnajkowski

• Visitor
Re: Traeger Grills
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 11:34:42 AM »
I just built my own. Here are some pictures from the construction.

https://www.facebook.com/msnajkowski/media_set?set=a.10208462231898323&type=3
The best way to escape from a problem is to solve it. ~ Alan Saporta

Offline Bjk77

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 07:06:01 AM »
I’ve got a pit boss. Awesome Lil grill. Works well have had it for 4or 5 years. When something goes wrong it’s easy to work on. Really simple set up as far as understanding the way the electronics work. Some people say they don’t add enough smoke. Jus add a smoke tube and it’s good too go. Has a lot to do with the type of pellets you buy.

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 07:11:07 AM »
I was over at a friends house and he has a Rec tec rt-700.  That thing is built like a tank.  Just the weight of the door and the thickness of the cook box was really impressive.  It convinced me that’s the one I’m getting once my backyard project is done.  If you haven’t seen one in person, you have to check it out.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2021, 11:04:07 AM »
Finally decided to retire my gas grill and picked up the RecTeq Bullseye. It's more of a grill than a smoker, but can also do slow cooks on it. The temperature range can be controlled from 225⁰ up to 750⁰, and from my limited use it's held the temperature with little fluctuation. I've yet to smoke anything on it, but will hopefully find some time soon.

I debated this grill vs the barrel-style smoker for a while, but determined that my family has very little intererest in smoking and I'd get more use out of an actual grill.

The one shortfall is that this particular grill does not have the wifi controls, mainly due to the fact that leaving a grill at 750⁰+ unattended is not the greatest idea and they mentioned that the intense heat was faulting them. But, with a built in temp probe and digital readout that I can clearly see from my couch this isn't the worst thing haha

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2021, 01:35:23 PM »
My buddy bought a Traeger 650 on Sunday and doing his first smoke today.  He had some other smoker that he didn't like and some POS Komodo knockoff that he hates.  I'm interested in how it performs for him because I like the method of the pellet smokers and would get rid of my large BGE.  I'll report back on Mikey's results for the Traeger. 

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2021, 02:24:25 PM »
I'm sold on the idea of a pellet smoker and have been researching some at different price points.  I like the Recteq RT-700 and I recently have been researching this Oklahoma Joe Pellet grill.  The Oklahoma Joe has an interesting baffle system that supports both low and slow smoke as well as high heat sear at a pretty reasonable price point.  I'm going to a demo showcase this Sat to check them out. 

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/rider-dlx-pellet-grill

John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline Silver Britches

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2021, 06:44:22 PM »
Pellet grills are great.  In the summer you can cook anything that you would put in the oven and not compete with the AC.

I have been running a Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie since 2016. At the time I bought it you could by one with wifi for the same cost as a Traeger w/out.  I have been happy with it. Have had to replace a few parts including a plastic fan prop that I melted due to a bad hot start. Customer service has been easy to deal with.     

If you can afford the wifi, it is worth it.  It's great for managing long overnight smokes without having to get out of bed. You can rollover and confirm you don't have a temp excursion or trip a GFI and need to restart. I have smoked overnight with temps in the single digits using a thermal blanket to manage heat lost.  Ran all night on a single hopper.

Also recommend buying the biggest one you can justify.  You will never be angry to have too much space. However, if you wish you had more it is hard to justify trading up for the occasional big smoke.

Both my bother and brother in-law also have GMG's and are happy. 

https://greenmountaingrills.com/
Jason, Jennifer, Brecken 10, Baylor 7

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2021, 08:24:01 PM »
I'm sold on the idea of a pellet smoker and have been researching some at different price points.  I like the Recteq RT-700 and I recently have been researching this Oklahoma Joe Pellet grill.  The Oklahoma Joe has an interesting baffle system that supports both low and slow smoke as well as high heat sear at a pretty reasonable price point.  I'm going to a demo showcase this Sat to check them out. 

If you want a recteq delivered to chocco, let me know lol. Their HQ and distribution is down the road from me

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2021, 10:14:32 AM »

If you want a recteq delivered to chocco, let me know lol. Their HQ and distribution is down the road from me

Im having a hard time making the decision for a semi portable version for the trailer. I really want the Recteq you got, how are the wheels, weight, etc?
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2021, 11:26:01 AM »

Im having a hard time making the decision for a semi portable version for the trailer. I really want the Recteq you got, how are the wheels, weight, etc?

hung up between the Green Mtn grills Davy Crockett and that Recteq. The GMG has the wifi setup but is smaller and no wheels.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2021, 09:44:31 AM »

Did you end up going? What were your thoughts on this vs. the RT?
Travis Macdonald
Crossthreading is nature's locktite

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2021, 09:55:57 AM »

Did you end up going? What were your thoughts on this vs. the RT?
I did go.  For the price point and the versatility of smoke and sear, I bought the Oklahoma Joe Rider DLX.  They were throwing in some promotion items like a wrap-around stainless shelf, cover, 20lbs of pellets, and free delivery and assembly as a pre-order showcase special.  Also, had some damn good ribs, ribeye and smoked sausage off of it at the show!  It should be delivered on May 10. 
John
Tube chassis/buggy

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM