BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Lake Conasauga info?  (Read 1231 times)

BigJerm

Lake Conasauga info?
« on: June 23, 2008, 09:21:30 AM »
Any info on this place? Chris it seems to be near you, 20 miles outside of Eton, GA.

Someone in Megan's company is planning a big camping trip for the employees there and of coarse I got invited to go. The guy’s description it fishing, boating, kayaking, hiking, mountain bike trails at Bear Creek and 2 ORV trails (must be street legal!), campgrounds with bath houses and water. A quick Google search revealed a 10 mile bike loop that seems like it will be a little hard to follow but I can't find any 4x4 info except ATV and dirt bike trails. I assume the guy knows what he is talking about though since he has been there before a couple of times.

Offline yellowxj

• Visitor
Re: Lake Conasauga info?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 09:27:21 AM »
I still have people telling me we can drive street legal OHV's at Davenport Mt. but everything online says no...it would be neat if there were more trails for us.
I hope I get to trail ride this year.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 10:39:38 AM »
You got trails. Lets expand them and make it the new hot offroad spot! ;D
I've grown tired of this.

BigJerm

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 10:42:14 AM »
well the trip isn’t till the end of July so hopefully I can get some info by then. Ill bring the camera but I am going to assume if they are there and there is not real info on the net they must suck as for as a challenge or only be a mile long.

Offline camper

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 07:27:48 PM »
Lake Conasauga campground in the Cohutta Wilderness is a really nice campground.  I've been there several times and its one of my favorite places to go when I leave florida for north georgia.  U.S. hwy 411 runs south/north on the west side of the wilderness through Chatsworth and some smaller towns.  I go into the forest from a small community called Eton just north of Chatsworth, but I know there are several other ways in. I'm pretty sure you can come in from Ellijay on the southeast side of the wilderness.  Chatsworth is north of Atlanta and east of I-75.

I only recently became interested in jeeps.  My wife and I are (were) backpackers and there are some great hiking trails in cohutta.  We would set up a car camp at the lake conasauga campground and then day hike.  I have been in my stock jeep and found a few easy and short jeep trails.  There may be more, but I haven't explored for jeeps yet.  I bet mountain bikes would be fun there.  The forest road from civilization into the wilderness is a great jeep trail in itself.  It climbs up into the middle of nowhere and the campground is so far from anywhere, that it isn't as crowded as most places.  It probably takes most of an hour just to get from the town of Eton up to the campground. And if rough forest roads with the top down is pleasurable to you, then there are miles of scenic rides.

The campground itself is high in the wilderness and there's a dammed lake there.  Many of the camp sites are right on the water.  The campground is no reserve with the honor payment envelopes.  Theres a nice bathroom/shower, water spigots, fire rings, etc.  It's been a few years since I was last there.  Again, it's a long way back to town for extra hamburger or camera batteries.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 07:39:00 PM by camper »
Steve....'98 TJ sport

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 08:42:04 PM »
Lake Conasauga campground in the Cohutta Wilderness is a really nice campground.  I've been there several times and its one of my favorite places to go when I leave florida for north georgia.  U.S. hwy 411 runs south/north on the west side of the wilderness through Chatsworth and some smaller towns.  I go into the forest from a small community called Eton just north of Chatsworth, but I know there are several other ways in. I'm pretty sure you can come in from Ellijay on the southeast side of the wilderness.  Chatsworth is north of Atlanta and east of I-75.

I only recently became interested in jeeps.  My wife and I are (were) backpackers and there are some great hiking trails in cohutta.  We would set up a car camp at the lake conasauga campground and then day hike.  I have been in my stock jeep and found a few easy and short jeep trails.  There may be more, but I haven't explored for jeeps yet.  I bet mountain bikes would be fun there.  The forest road from civilization into the wilderness is a great jeep trail in itself.  It climbs up into the middle of nowhere and the campground is so far from anywhere, that it isn't as crowded as most places.  It probably takes most of an hour just to get from the town of Eton up to the campground. And if rough forest roads with the top down is pleasurable to you, then there are miles of scenic rides.

The campground itself is high in the wilderness and there's a dammed lake there.  Many of the camp sites are right on the water.  The campground is no reserve with the honor payment envelopes.  Theres a nice bathroom/shower, water spigots, fire rings, etc.  It's been a few years since I was last there.  Again, it's a long way back to town for extra hamburger or camera batteries.

Sounds great for a family outing.  Chris, isn't this in your backyard?

BigJerm

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 09:46:46 PM »
thanks for the info! I am pretty excited about it. We do plan to bring the bikes and the jeep and it should be a good time. Megan is pumped because of showers, lol.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 09:50:52 PM »
Take some pics! I bet the bikes will be a blast! You should get yourself a hydration backpack if you don't have one already. This heat it will soak you up!

BigJerm

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 10:03:46 PM »
Take some pics! I bet the bikes will be a blast! You should get yourself a hydration backpack if you don't have one already. This heat it will soak you up!

Camelbak slipstream baby!

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 10:05:06 PM »
1 liter or more? I have a 1 liter pack.

BigJerm

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 07:46:45 AM »
50 oz. If I go for a longer ride Ill strap on the water bottle for an extra 24 oz of water. I keep myself very hydrated all day long too so that helps.

06trailrig

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 07:41:46 AM »
The trails that are up there are for bikes, atv's, and motorcycles. Nothing up there for jeeps but it is very beautiful up there like said before it's way out there.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM