BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: steering  (Read 2872 times)

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
steering
« on: August 29, 2019, 02:30:11 PM »
I recently bought my 16' JKU about a month ago, and noticed that i was drifting right.  I called the dealership (not a Jeep dealer) and they aligned it.  It still wasnt right so i went back and they checked it again. 
I still drift right and feel as though i am applying a little pressure to the steering wheel (to the left) as I drive).  It honestly feels like there is a slight bit of "play" in the wheel.
I dont have a lift, but i am not sure if there are spacers to level it. 

Any thoughts?  Caster or pinion issues? but would that be the case without a lift?
Thanks for the insight and help.

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
Re: steering
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 03:32:19 PM »
Jk's seem to steer better with a little toe. Could just be that you are running tire pressures at what the factory recommends. Try letting some air out by 5 pounds and see if it steers better?

What tires are on the jeep now? My Nitto Trail Grapplers used to wander a bit.

Lifting and getting bigger tires will make "a little bit of play" seem normal. 
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 04:12:52 PM »
even with only spacers it needs track bars to steer straight
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 06:48:50 AM »
thanks for the information guys, i really do appreciate it.
I have Nitto Grapler G2 tires, 33"
I will get into a jeep dealership and let them check it out, since it is still under warranty for a few months.  Hopefully they will not find something more wrong, and we can fix the toe and talk about track bars.
have a great long weekend of wheeling!

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 07:03:17 AM »
My 2016 JKU that I drive now is a mall crawler with a lift
and 35's. After I bought it in January I went ahead and
bought lifetime alignment from Tires Plus. Every time I
have the wheels rotated I get them to check and adjust
the alignment if needed. Money well spent..........
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 10:34:17 AM »
But is it the alignment?
I had it aligned twice in one week and i am still having issues with the drift.
maybe when i get into a jeep place they can assess the situation and get me straight.

Online Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 10:43:20 AM »
But is it the alignment?
I had it aligned twice in one week and i am still having issues with the drift.
maybe when i get into a jeep place they can assess the situation and get me straight.
I’d recommend finding a good Offroad shop to take a look at it. Dealerships tend to only do things one way and won’t go and farther. With all factory control arms there is no caster adjustment unless you have adjustable ball joints. My Jeep was light on caster from the factory and I was never happy with how it drove stock. As someone mentioned before jks like more toe than normal so that is something you could do in your driveway and take it out for a spin. Just be careful that you don’t go too far and end up toed way in. With a tape measure shoot for about 1/8-3/16” toe in. Do you have the factory steering stabilizer? Some aftermarket hi pressure stabilizers will cause the Jeep to push one direction (I can’t recall which way yours is pushing). If you are looking for trackbars to recenter everything I’ve got a couple of synergy units that are in great shape I’d let go cheap plus I’m in ellijay which is not far at all from jeepfest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 12:11:23 PM »
thanks for all of that information, i really appreciate it!
i will check everything you mentioned when i get home.  I havent been under the jeep yet, so i am not sure what exactly is there.  I dont think the previous owner did any upgrades under there.
I will let you know about the bars ASAP, even if i dont get them this weekend.  Ellijay is a nice day trip into the mountains with the family so i could make that happen.
Thanks so much

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 06:57:02 AM »
I spent some time Saturday morning with a guy from PSC, at jeepfest.  without seeing the jeep and just going off my descriptions he said even a leveling kit may have throw things out of whack.  he suggested i look at the down the line view of my tires from front to back and then back to front to see if things shifted during an install.
bottom line after the advice from here and from him, i will need to get this into a jeep shop and let them give it the once over.  Sounds to me like some parts may need to be added like some arms, and maybe even a lift and shocks  ;)  I mean we want to be safe out there right?

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 09:41:36 AM »
I spent some time Saturday morning with a guy from PSC, at jeepfest.  without seeing the jeep and just going off my descriptions he said even a leveling kit may have throw things out of whack.  he suggested i look at the down the line view of my tires from front to back and then back to front to see if things shifted during an install.
bottom line after the advice from here and from him, i will need to get this into a jeep shop and let them give it the once over.  Sounds to me like some parts may need to be added like some arms, and maybe even a lift and shocks  ;)  I mean we want to be safe out there right?

3.5 Rock Krawler or Metal Cloak Lift and some 35's will take care of a lot of issues.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 03:19:27 PM »
on a 3.5 lift wont i need new CV joints due to the sharper angle?

Offline Chris36l

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 03:50:07 PM »
on a 3.5 lift wont i need new CV joints due to the sharper angle?
Not immediately. I ran with the stock drive shaft for almost a year before I needed to upgrade it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM