BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Corner Armor  (Read 181 times)

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
Corner Armor
« on: September 04, 2019, 08:48:15 AM »
Several people mentioned spraying truck bed liner on the Jeep before Corner Armor install.
Did you guys also use an etching primer?
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline j3ff3ry_j33p

• Visitor
Re: Corner Armor
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 09:04:26 AM »
Several people mentioned spraying truck bed liner on the Jeep before Corner Armor install.
Did you guys also use an etching primer?

I 600grit sand the aluminum
I take acetone or denatured alcohol & clean the part.
I apply two thin but complete layers of Rust-o-Leum self-etching primer with 20 min between each application.
I apply 3, usually 4 , thin but complete layers of Rustoleum TruckBed Liner ,allowing drying on sawhorses in sun or garage fan of no less thn 30min between layers.

I then let it cure for a day.

results:
I can pound upon it with an aluminum baseball bat or hmmer with no damage. I backed into the barbed wire  fence around graveyard at AOP during CFR19 and it did not penetrate corners nor TNT spare delete. I seem to be able to scrape it off the sliders a little when I visit George Winter, but just a nick

hope that helps.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 09:05:16 AM by j3ff3ry_j33p »
Jeffery
ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
▀lllllll▀ '95 XJ

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 09:29:12 AM »
I used a corner cat sander with 320 grit and roughed up the surface of the clear coat.  Taped off the areas.  Sprayed 3 coats of Rustoleum Bedliner. 

Self etching primer is for bare metal.  You’re overthinking it.  Follow the instructions on the bedliner can.  It’s not rocket science.

Offline j3ff3ry_j33p

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 08:45:12 AM »
I didn't catch that you were asking about laying a coat of bedliner under the armor , on your Jeep corner prior to armor. I don't get that when you can lay an rtv, instantgasket bead along top to prevent water from above . leave bottom open for draining . I have laid shower liner PVC for steel plate that lay against body but don't see benefit of bedlining since the armor isn't going to move at all .
Im sorry ,my answer was for bare metal corner prepping . my mistake.
Jeffery
ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
▀lllllll▀ '95 XJ

Offline Jango

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 12:05:57 PM »
I didn't catch that you were asking about laying a coat of bedliner under the armor , on your Jeep corner prior to armor. I don't get that when you can lay an rtv, instantgasket bead along top to prevent water from above . leave bottom open for draining . I have laid shower liner PVC for steel plate that lay against body but don't see benefit of bedlining since the armor isn't going to move at all .

I just installed my aluminum eco corners this morning. I contemplated putting a full silicone bead around the whole armor top and bottom but my father mentioned exactly this^ if I did use some silicone, only do the top and leave the bottom open so that any moisture can escape out the bottom. I ended up just going bare and seeing how that pans out for me.
-Connor (Jango... the D is silent and invisible)

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 01:26:59 PM »

I just installed my aluminum eco corners this morning. I contemplated putting a full silicone bead around the whole armor top and bottom but my father mentioned exactly this^ if I did use some silicone, only do the top and leave the bottom open so that any moisture can escape out the bottom. I ended up just going bare and seeing how that pans out for me.

I painted some and left some areas with just the plain finish. Laying out the nutserts was the most time consuming. The taillight install was the most difficult. I did not add any RTV or caulk across the top.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM