BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: North GA trail recommendations needed  (Read 144 times)

Offline GMackey

• Visitor
North GA trail recommendations needed
« on: January 18, 2020, 04:38:16 PM »
I'm looking for suggestions on trails in North Georgia that are moderately challenging.  I currently have a Gladiator Rubicon and did Nimblewill Gap & Old Buck Town Road, which was a nice drive, but not very exciting.  Last year I had a stock Grand Cherokee Trailhawk that I took to Tray Mountain Road, which was exciting.  But, afterwards, I learned that the 'trail closed' signs actually meant don't go on the trail.  I ran across a couple of other Jeeps on that same "closed" section, so at the time I thought it was OK.  Anyway, I loved that section of Tray, but since it's actually closed, I'm looking for a good alternative.

Any suggestions?  I've been using alltrails.com, but I'd much rather have some solid local advice.  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Greg - 2020 Gladiator

Offline Will

• Visitor
Re: North GA trail recommendations needed
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 04:58:34 PM »
Welcome!

You can find US service roads as well as OHV (off highway vehicle) areas designated for 4x4 use online. Most of the moderate to challenging trail systems are closed during winter because it’s the rainy season here and that is the time that the trails can easily be damaged and sediment runoff is a big topic these days that has closed some of our best trails. The winter mud can also turn hill climbs/descents into very sketchy slip-n-slides that would otherwise be a cake walk in the summer.

We definitely encourage legal wheeling. 4-wheeling where you’re not supposed to be is the most detrimental thing to our hobby. To be honest, there are not a ton of exciting trails available to the public in our state. That is why you will see most of our ride calendars each year are highlighted by private parks in neighboring states. But you won’t have a short of excitement if you go on one of our monthly rides.

However, I’d recommended that you check out Beasley Knob in Blairsville once it opens up in Spring. That sounds right up your alley. That one in particular is a place you do not want to go in winter or right after a heavy rain event. It has a lot of steep climbs that can get sketchy quick.

Have fun in that new Jeep!

P.S: We love pics. You should post pics.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 05:02:43 PM »
Here’s some info on the different ranger districts. You can scroll down to “Motor Vehicle Use Maps” and download the forest road trail system maps from there.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/conf/maps-pubs
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Online Cannonballkev

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 06:45:55 PM »
An off road park is your  best option.  Most FS roads are not challenging.
  Come out to our next ride feb 1 at Chocco in Alabama.  Hour and half drive from Marietta

http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php?topic=18649.0

http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php?topic=18651.0
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 06:48:21 PM by Cannonballkev »
Get dirty, or get off the trail!

Offline GMackey

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 08:38:20 PM »
Thanks for the info!  Beasley Knob looks like a good possibility when it opens.

Chocco looks awesome!  Unfortunately, I can't make it on Feb. 1.  I'm going to keep my eyes open for opportunities in the future though.  I definitely need to get out with others instead of going solo.  Tomorrow I'm going to ride up to Horseshoe Mountain Road just to get off-road in the woods.  I'll be sticking to the easy trails until I'm able to get out for a group ride.
Greg - 2020 Gladiator

Offline jesseshoots

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 02:05:11 PM »
Not sure if it's still open or not, but Flatlands Rd. is a blast to run. It's short, but has some seriously rutted out spots with some fun water crossings to begin with.

I second Beasley Knob, it's good fun. Just go with a buddy in-case you get stuck. It's closed until middle of March though.

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 02:22:41 PM »
Morris Mtn and AOP are great parks that are on our calendar for February and March and a great systems that can be made into day trips and both offer Camping and hotel options.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM