BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: January 26th 2020 Horseshoe Ridge Ride pictures and stories  (Read 359 times)

Offline Chris36l

• Visitor
January 26th 2020 Horseshoe Ridge Ride pictures and stories
« on: January 26, 2020, 03:38:38 PM »
How’d this ride turn out? Muddy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GMackey

• Visitor
Re: January 26th 2020 Horseshoe Ridge Ride pictures and stories
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 05:33:39 PM »
We had a cool little meet-up to run this forest service trail.  2x JTs, 1 JL and 1 JT.  If you ever get an urge to just get in the woods and do an easy trail, this is the place.  There's plenty of rut and mudholes and a few rocks, but this trail is not challenging.  It's relaxing in a way where you're glad you have a decent machine and are not rocking a KIA.  No worries, just fun nature-soaking-in type stuff.

On the run we had Mortalis5509 in a sweet Clemson Orange JK, Grass Janitor in a killer silver JK with 37s, and a buddy of Grass Janitor in a JL.  I was rocking the JT (Gladiator).  Despite the fact that I'd love to joke about how my JT had to pull out one of those JKs, I just can't do it.  It's an easy trail.  But it's one worth doing. Lots to see here.  Fun ride with cool dudes.  Thank you, Mortalis, for the use of your hand held CB that kept us all in easy reach.

There was a spot that I wanted to check out.  I had run this trail before, solo, and hit a spot that was kinda legit trail and kinda 'is this actually a legit trail?'.  It's not on the map.  Any map.  We still don't know WTF it is.  We came up on the spot today with 3 trucks parked there, full of hunting dogs.  Their owners were talking near the trucks.  We kinda cruised on by another 200 yards.  Then we pulled to the side and had a meeting of the minds.  I definitely wanted to get on that trail!  But it's not on any map (we looked).  And the most logical explanation for those dudes and dogs was that they were about to get on a hunt (wild boars seemed most logical).  So, we moved on.  It's kinda cool to see other people enjoying this land with their hobbies. 

I enjoyed our ride today.  It was fun being with other folks that just like to get outside.  Not all trails have to be the Olympics of Rock Crawling to have a good time.  This was an easy trail (although I've seen easier).  If you want to dip your toe into off-roading, this is a good place to start.

I've attached a pic of our rigs from today.  Great group of guys and a damn fine time had by all.  This is what it's all about.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:17:01 AM by tjsahara00 »
Greg - 2020 Gladiator

Offline GMackey

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 05:41:48 PM »

But, towards the top of that forest service road, there's another trail.  I went down it about a quarter mile and it was really cool.  I did a 13 point turn and backed out this weekend because I didn't know what I was about to get into.

Sounds like fun.  Is this "other trail" on the map?  Just make sure it's open to the public and not private property.

I suspect this is private property after today.  This place is NOT on the US Forest Service Roads.  It's also not on Google Maps.  It's completely off all maps.  But it's a real trail and not some game trail.  It's rough but not ridiculous.  I'll say this... it's intriguing.
Greg - 2020 Gladiator

Offline GMackey

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 05:59:41 PM »
I'd never met any of these fellas before this morning.

If you're looking for friends, this is a good place.  The kind of people that seek out off-road type activities are probably just like you (spiritually, politically, etc.).  Nobody cares enough to talk about those things, but they're good people.  On the surface, Jeepers love the environment and love camaraderie.  Don't be afraid to meet up with strangers you meet here.  I'm an old school redneck from SC that made good.  It warmed my cockles to meet other like-minded outdoorsmen.

If you're new to the club or just a bit shy... take a chance and organize a ride for some folks.  Or join one like my buddies.  You'll be better for it and make a few buddies along the way.  This stuff is fun.  Let's keep it that way!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:18:18 AM by tjsahara00 »
Greg - 2020 Gladiator

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 06:39:12 PM »
Wait a minute, y’all had a recovery out there and no pics? We’re gonna need pics.

Glad y’all could get together and have some fun in the woods.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:17:42 AM by tjsahara00 »
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Grass Janitor

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 07:13:40 PM »

Not really, surprisingly dry but a lot of it was somewhat maintained. Couple mud holes here and there.

Beautiful scenery and grabbed lunch on the square in Dahlonega after, so a nice few hours on a Sunday. Glad to be learning some forest service roads just to get out in the woods every once in a while.

Sam- Silver 2012 JKUR on 37s

Offline Chris36l

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 09:25:41 PM »

Not really, surprisingly dry but a lot of it was somewhat maintained. Couple mud holes here and there.

Beautiful scenery and grabbed lunch on the square in Dahlonega after, so a nice few hours on a Sunday. Glad to be learning some forest service roads just to get out in the woods every once in a while.

Damn, wish I could have made it. Spent the day spreading mulch and moving leaves. Ugh.

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 08:14:26 AM »

Damn, wish I could have made it. Spent the day spreading mulch and moving leaves. Ugh.

Was that your Jeep at the Hamilton Mill Home Depot on Saturday morning? I noticed a GATR sticker on a black JKU.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM