BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: That proud moment when ...  (Read 482 times)

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
That proud moment when ...
« on: February 07, 2020, 01:41:24 PM »
.... your wife texts you telling you she wants to start carrying a gun.

I sent my wife to Sharpshooters to go through the safety course last Fall.  She wanted to learn how to shoot and I thought it was best to put her with a professional.  She did great and enjoyed it but didn't want to carry.  She's in downtown Decatur and just texted me that she wants to start carrying and is getting her permit. 

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
Re: That proud moment when ...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 01:44:07 PM »
.... your wife texts you telling you she wants to start carrying a gun.

I sent my wife to Sharpshooters to go through the safety course last Fall.  She wanted to learn how to shoot and I thought it was best to put her with a professional.  She did great and enjoyed it but didn't want to carry.  She's in downtown Decatur and just texted me that she wants to start carrying and is getting her permit. 

Awesome, Sherry keeps telling me that she wants one as well.
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 01:50:01 PM »
Way to go Sherry!

I texted my wife and told her to go to the annex in Sandy Springs and apply.  It's in the County Clerks office and the sign says Marriage Licenses, Gun Permits (not kidding).  Then she'll have to go across the street and the police will finger printer her.  Then she'll get it in a few weeks and we'll get her a gun.

She text back "how do they know I can shoot".  Me: you have hands - No requirement in GA, it's your constitutional right.  Madeline: :)

Offline jesseshoots

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 01:52:19 PM »
She text back "how do they know I can shoot".  Me: you have hands - No requirement in GA, it's your constitutional right.  Madeline: :)

That's both awesome and terrifying at the same time

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 02:12:41 PM »
Why is it terrifying?

Offline jesseshoots

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 02:35:43 PM »
Why is it terrifying?
Because someone who doesn't know how to properly use a gun can carry one and potentially use it. Guns, like many things, are incredibly dangerous when used improperly. The last place I want to be is around someone who has no idea how to use one.

I'm all for people having guns as long as they know how to use them and safely carry them.

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 02:38:35 PM »
Why is it terrifying?
Because someone who doesn't know how to properly use a gun can carry one and potentially use it. Guns, like many things, are incredibly dangerous when used improperly. The last place I want to be is around someone who has no idea how to use one.

I'm all for people having guns as long as they know how to use them and safely carry them.

Same thing happens with jeeps on the trails lol.
Chuck & Sherry

Offline jesseshoots

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 02:40:33 PM »
Why is it terrifying?

Same thing happens with jeeps on the trails lol.
Very true. Which is why there are some people that I'll never wheel with again.

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 02:40:58 PM »

That's both awesome and terrifying at the same time

I understand what you're saying.  I was at the gun range when these two women we mishandling their gun and I went to get the ranger officer and told him they were going to kill someone.  On the other side of that, I don't like my Liberty to be limited and criminals don't have to prove they can shoot or handle a firearm. 

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 03:10:31 PM »
This is timely. I was at Gwinnett Justice Center this morning getting my weapons permit renewed.

I was in and out in 20 minutes and when I mentioned that, the clerk said they are working to make the renewal process completely online.

Not to hijack your thread, but I agree with what Mike said: it’s absolutely your right to carry a firearm. At the same time, I would have no problem with a proficiency test just like getting a drivers license. It’s a huge responsibility to carry that weapon around public just like its a huge responsibility to drive a vehicle in public. You should know how to operate it.

Also, taking your significant other shooting is a really good date night. Sometimes it goes over better doing sporting clays first because it’s just a more relaxing environment being outside. Taking someone into an indoor range that has never shot a gun before can be extremely intimidating to the point where they never get comfortable enough to enjoy it.

For those that were lucky enough to grow up with access to firearms and some land to learn how to shoot over many years, it’s not a big deal to go to an indoor range. That later scenario is becoming less and less common in this country. That’s one reason why I support a proficiency test. By all means, go get your permit. I think everyone should have one. But I also think that if you’re carrying you should know how to use it.

I got to go to Yakutat, Alaska a few years ago and it was the most open carry I have ever seen. If I had to guess, around 1 out of every 3 people I saw on that island had a pistol on their hip walking around in public. Probably more had them concealed.
That was the safest I have ever felt when thinking about others around me carrying guns. And it wasn’t just because there were guns around me that I felt safe, I got the sense that these people were carrying out of necessity (there are a LOT of big ass bears up there) and I could tell that they knew how to use them just by talking to them or watching their mannerisms. Granted, it is a different world up there and it’s something I really appreciated. In general I think there were a lot less stupid people there and that probably added to it. It’s essentially just a fishing village.
We were packing during this trip as well.. bears like fisherman, or at least their fish.

On the other hand there have been times when I thought “this person does not need a gun.” Whether they wear it just to intimidate people, to fit in with their crowd, or God forbid they are packing and hoping everyday that they get a chance to use it on someone.

On the days that I do carry I pray to God that I don’t have to use it and I hope that’s the attitude of everyone else: to protect yourself and to protect those that need your help.

My wife hasn’t expressed any interested in getting her carry permit but I would be proud too. Now get your wife hitting some bulls eyes, Mike!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 03:21:25 PM by Will »
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline 06ljrubby

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 05:50:42 PM »
My wife and I shot fairly often. One day she told me she wanted to start carrying. I said, “can you tell me you would draw and shoot immediately, and no one would be able to take your weapon away from you?” She doesn’t carry we still shot.

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 06:02:12 PM »
My wife and I shot fairly often. One day she told me she wanted to start carrying. I said, “can you tell me you would draw and shoot immediately, and no one would be able to take your weapon away from you?” She doesn’t carry we still shot.
Practicing will fix that!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Chuck & Sherry

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM