BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: HVAC  (Read 564 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: HVAC
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2020, 03:14:21 PM »
Who's the best manufacturer these days? Years ago everything was Trane, are they still the best? Rheem? These are the only two I'm aware of.

Builder put in Rheem.  Replaced the first heat pump with American Standard (Trane Made in USA).  Replace gas furnace / A/C for first floor with Lennox.  Same unit for basement  They have a 10 year warranty.

Looks like you have all manufactures lol. At the end of the day the're probably all coming from a main manufacturer and these guys are just slapping their sticker on them.

Trane and Lennox are definitely not the same manufacturer.  My buddy in SC has been in HVAC for 35 years told me when we replaced ours that Lennox made very good units but sometimes parts are harder to get.

That's good. So far, the only company to call us back is the A team. They follow Comcast time schedule, should be here between 1pm and 5pm lol.

Let them know I referred you.  I might get a free pen or something LOL.

Turns out it was just a bad NEST thermostat.
Damn...that deescalated quickly! 

You went from thinking of spending multi thousands of dollars on HVAC to thinking of spending multi thousands of dollars on a Jeep.  Right?

Good for you!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2020, 03:28:38 PM »
Who's the best manufacturer these days? Years ago everything was Trane, are they still the best? Rheem? These are the only two I'm aware of.

Builder put in Rheem.  Replaced the first heat pump with American Standard (Trane Made in USA).  Replace gas furnace / A/C for first floor with Lennox.  Same unit for basement  They have a 10 year warranty.

Looks like you have all manufactures lol. At the end of the day the're probably all coming from a main manufacturer and these guys are just slapping their sticker on them.

Trane and Lennox are definitely not the same manufacturer.  My buddy in SC has been in HVAC for 35 years told me when we replaced ours that Lennox made very good units but sometimes parts are harder to get.

That's good. So far, the only company to call us back is the A team. They follow Comcast time schedule, should be here between 1pm and 5pm lol.

Let them know I referred you.  I might get a free pen or something LOL.

Turns out it was just a bad NEST thermostat.
Damn...that deescalated quickly! 

You went from thinking of spending multi thousands of dollars on HVAC to thinking of spending multi thousands of dollars on a Jeep.  Right?

Good for you!

Um yeah, I wish. But, to your point, I was reading to bite the bullet! The tech could come in and said, look, your compressor's out blah, blah, blah and we need to replace your unit and by the way, the new unit will come with a new t-stat as well.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 05:38:48 PM by Trailabite »
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline jesseshoots

• Visitor
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2020, 04:39:29 PM »
I have an Ecobee 3 in the condo and love it. It's been a little over 3 years now and it still works right. I plan on buying one for the new place whenever we find it.

Offline Grass Janitor

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2020, 05:10:50 PM »
I’ve had two Nests for 6 years without an issue so all this is interesting to hear. I know the home/away feature definitely saves us some money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sam- Silver 2012 JKUR on 37s

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2020, 06:01:17 PM »
I’ve had two Nests for 6 years without an issue so all this is interesting to hear. I know the home/away feature definitely saves us some money.

Programmable t-stats have been around for decades, but they were much harder to program than an app.

Does Nest tie into your calendar or some other data source (web cams, sensors, your mobile device location, etc) to know whether you (or someone else) is at home?
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Grass Janitor

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2020, 07:40:33 PM »

Programmable t-stats have been around for decades, but they were much harder to program than an app.

Does Nest tie into your calendar or some other data source (web cams, sensors, your mobile device location, etc) to know whether you (or someone else) is at home?
It ties to your WiFi network and your phone so it uses your location for home/away. It also knows when you walk by it, so it figures out when you are home/away on a regular basis and what you adjust the temp to when you’re home. From there it self programs. That’s all adjustable.

Sam- Silver 2012 JKUR on 37s

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2020, 08:34:02 PM »

It ties to your WiFi network and your phone so it uses your location for home/away. It also knows when you walk by it, so it figures out when you are home/away on a regular basis and what you adjust the temp to when you’re home. From there it self programs. That’s all adjustable.

Ok, that's very cool.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2020, 08:51:03 PM »

Ok, that's very cool.

It is cool when it works.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Chuck & Sherry

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2020, 08:57:57 PM »
We have 2 nests, and havent had an issue yet. I use the calendar function to set the temps and time for everything since our schedule is very predictable.

Online TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2020, 10:14:33 PM »
Well so you didn’t actually troubleshoot the board to see it wasn’t getting voltage. Even a nest isn’t that “smart” it still just has a constant power, a blower call, a compressor call, and a furnace call. It’s not like it modulates voltage or anything - they’re all just strictly on or off
Travis Macdonald
Crossthreading is nature's locktite

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2020, 10:49:17 PM »
Well so you didn’t actually troubleshoot the board to see it wasn’t getting voltage. Even a nest isn’t that “smart” it still just has a constant power, a blower call, a compressor call, and a furnace call. It’s not like it modulates voltage or anything - they’re all just strictly on or off
I changed the board out for another reason a few weeks back. Figured there was no reason to check it again since it was new. And I really didn't feel like spending time up in an hot attic again.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Chuck & Sherry

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM