BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Metal Detector  (Read 744 times)

BigJerm

Metal Detector
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:56:54 AM »
anyone have one? Want to school me on them and recommend a good, yet simple one?

-OR-

Anyone got one they want to let me borrow over labor day weekend?

Don't think I am nuts, I am serious here. My grandparents live on over 400 acres of farm land in Mississippi. The land has not always been in our family but has for some time now (100+ years). There are several wells dug around the property and different locations where it is obvious there were once homes in the woods. I know for a fact no one has ever legally been on the property with a metal detector and it has been a fantasy of mine to get a detector and scout the property and the woods. I mean I could find nothing but I could maybe find some really cool stuff and as I have made yall well aware... I am a history nerd when it comes to discovering/exploring things. The only thing I have ever found back there was a rotted out wagon wheel but that was just walking around with a stick.

Offline Will

• Visitor
Re: Metal Detector
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 09:02:54 AM »
When I was younger we did a lot of this stuff at Rock Eagle and other, similar historic sites. Culdn't tell you how to shop for one.

I'm a history nerd.  8)
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

RotorHead

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 09:07:51 AM »
We had one when I was a kid. We used to go around old school yards, churches and homesteads. I never found anything extremely valuable, but I did find lots of old coins and a cheap ring or two.

BigJerm

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 09:12:16 AM »
I'm a history nerd.  8)

Hi fellow nerd  {toast}

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 09:14:22 AM »
Nerds rule! Fellow nerds unite!  {;-(}My Dad has one. I can see if he will pull it out of the closet. I am into the same things you are Jerm! You should go to Gettysburg sometime. If your into civil war stuff at all. It is an awesome place. I mention that because while I was there I dreamed of finding an old relic like a bullet or buckle. Yeah right! That place probably has been scoured over on hands and knees. But yeah, I am into it!
I've grown tired of this.

BigJerm

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 09:22:19 AM »
Megan has an uncle who lives in country in VA. The man has civil war rifles, pistols, bullets, a cannon ball or 2 all around his house.... he is the COOLEST, you don’t even know!

Let me know if he would be cool with me borrowing it for a long weekend (pick up like friday evening August 29th, return the following tuesday evening September 2nd

Diehard

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 09:27:06 AM »
I have one you could borrow, but not sure how you'd want to get it. Its over an hour drive from Peachtree City to Lilburn. I'm out of town this weekend and going to Morris Mt. next weekend.

I work in Lithia Springs, which is about an hour away from Lilburn.

Let me know if your interested and we may work out something.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 09:29:19 AM »
Jerm, I don't think he would care. It has not been used in a long time but I am sure it still works. I can bring it Saturday if you want.

BigJerm

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 09:38:11 AM »
thats ok Ben, I wouldnt want one banging around in the Jeep at Beasley.

Vince, I actually moved and now live in Smyrna so its about 40 miles to the center of Peachtree City for me. How new is yours? I just need to have a user friendly one since I know nothing about them.

Diehard

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 09:50:45 AM »
I got it for Christmas about 5+ years ago. Its really easy to use, not the best, but not a cheap one either. I think I still have the instruction book, and even a small trowel to dig with that came with it.
If I remember it can be set to different levels to discern "junk" from other metals.
I have only used it a couple times to "look" around my yard. Only thing I found was an old soda can, the kind that had the pop top that came off.
I may be home this Sunday in the evening, or during the week in the evening, (after 6:00), except for Wed. & Fri.
Either use the internet for directions, 508 Planceer Pl. Peachtree City, or give me a call. 770-634-0111 (cell), 770-819-2840 (work), 770-631-6674 (home).
It would be good to see ya again.

BigJerm

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 10:08:32 AM »
ill give ya a call a little later in the month. This weekend and next is busy for me as well. Maybe I can swing by first of August. It will give me plenty of time to practice with it. Hope you got the instruction booklet.

Thanks for the offer on yours ben!

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 10:33:39 AM »
 :'(

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK