BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Dana 70 Detroit Locker $300  (Read 288 times)

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
Dana 70 Detroit Locker $300
« on: November 17, 2020, 03:15:56 PM »
This is the Detroit out of my rear Dana 70. It is a 35 spline for 4.56 and numerically higher gear sets. $300

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
Re: Dana 70 Detroit Locker $300
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 03:16:25 PM »

Offline Truckin222

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 02:41:03 PM »
Hey Scott, do you still have this?
Is it a different model detroit than the current model?
It looks different than pics I've seen online...
Zach & Ruby Southard

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 04:53:44 PM »
Hey Zach- I do still have this. I purchased the Detroit new in 2002 (still have the receipt surprisingly) so they may have changed the case desiiover the years.  Every picture I see online searching now seems to be taken from the ring gear side so it’s hard to tell.  But it does look like the bolt placement between the two halves has changed.

I bought some Moser axle shafts and installed them at the same time I put in this Detroit.  I am still running those same shafts now, just with a spool in the 70.

Do you have an auto?

Offline Truckin222

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 02:55:25 PM »
Not sure what you mean? An auto locker? Or trans?

Anyway, I'm buying Chucks project truck with a D70HD in it and it is welded AFAIK.
I'm considering this detroit because of the price and was hoping that F digs may work better w/ a rear Detroit instead of welded/spooled.
Maybe you can speak to that?

Irate and hardline suggest it will unlock but may not make much difference during front dig.
My long azz can use all the help I can get with turning tightly...
Zach & Ruby Southard

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 03:15:37 PM »
@Truckin222 I've never used a rear Detroit, but I can confirm that front digs still work with a welded rear as long as you can disconnect the rear. Sure, it's not as good as being unlocked, but with a cutting brake it's pretty dang good, especially on soft ground where the outer tire can slide more easily

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 03:48:46 PM »
As I stated on hard line, I'm guessing that the rear of your truck is pretty light compared to a full size rig and should slide fairly easy in most cases. However, eventually those little welded spider gear will fall apart and you will probably need this to install later lol.
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 06:27:58 PM »
@Truckin222 i meant auto transmission.  The Detroit has “slack” like the other full case auto lockers so that it can lock and unlock.  With my manual transmission on the trail, it allowed the vehicle to rock back and forth a foot or so.  With and auto trans, when you are in gear you have the torque converter constantly taking up that “slack.”

Also, the Detroit will ratchet once you disconnect the rear.  When I put it in front wheel drive only, I could tell it would ratchet in turns but most of the time on soft ground the tires would drag so it wasn’t as noticeable.  Out west in high traction places it being able to unlock helped.

Down the road if you add cutting brakes you will be set.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM