BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: New equipment  (Read 590 times)

Online Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
Re: New equipment
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 10:58:56 AM »
How much does it weigh? I’ve heard the deckovers are heavy
Curb weight is 2750
GVRW is 11,500

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

what kinda axles give that gvwr?
I think Dextor axles. 5200 lbs x 2.

I don’t think that’s how it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 12:47:41 PM »
Curb weight is 2750
GVRW is 11,500

LMAO
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 03:09:33 PM »
Curb weight is 2750
GVRW is 11,500

LMAO

yeah, nope. I knew I only counted 6 lugs. Thats a 10k gvwr trailer, weighs roughly 3k, so your payload capacity is 7k, give or take a few hundo. If it is only 2750 that is the lightest steel deckover ive ever seen. Good lookin trailer tho!
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2021, 05:41:51 PM »
Curb weight is 2750
GVRW is 11,500

LMAO

yeah, nope. I knew I only counted 6 lugs. Thats a 10k gvwr trailer, weighs roughly 3k, so your payload capacity is 7k, give or take a few hundo. If it is only 2750 that is the lightest steel deckover ive ever seen. Good lookin trailer tho!
According to the paperwork and the sticker on the trailer it is 11,500 GVWR.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 05:43:11 PM by Trailabite »
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline extremetownie

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • He's a loser she said
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2021, 08:26:42 AM »
The weight rated can be based on the axles or tires or a combination. It is really up to the manufacturer how to calculate it. Also in the industry the wight rating minus the trailer weight does not equal  payload capacity . There is no set amount allowed for the hitch to transfer the weight to the truck ,but it is generally  25% on a bumper pull and 30% on a goose neck.

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2021, 08:56:55 AM »
The twinn turbo ecoboost pulled the trailer and jku with no issues. I can't say that I didn't know it was back there though.

The trailer is a little shorter than I thought it would be. I need to add some anchor points to get a more straight of an angle on my straps.

*edit* averaged 10 mpg there and back cruise control @ 70mph
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 03:14:41 PM by Trailabite »
Chuck & Sherry

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2021, 10:15:25 AM »
The weight rated can be based on the axles or tires or a combination. It is really up to the manufacturer how to calculate it. Also in the industry the wight rating minus the trailer weight does not equal  payload capacity . There is no set amount allowed for the hitch to transfer the weight to the truck ,but it is generally  25% on a bumper pull and 30% on a goose neck.

I was attempting to err on the side of safety for those that might not know much about trailers or hauling, but please, do whatever yall like. Roger is literally the expert being he builds them for a living, I just haul everyday and own 7 different ones so what do I know  [imwstupid] .. Hopefully Chucks JK dont weigh 12k and I doubt he is pulling heavy equipment with a half ton so we'll never know.

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2021, 01:36:00 PM »
"Hopefully Chucks JK dont weigh 12k"

It doesn't yet but I'm working on it!
Chuck & Sherry

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2021, 03:08:36 PM »
I watched a 'trailer selection video' where the guy buying a trailer had it downrated 'so the truck and trailer max would be under the CDL license requirements'.  It seems to me the rating doesn't matter to the safety patrol, it's whether you're driving a combination that exceeds the limits of your license.  He said down rating was common...y'all ever heard of such a thing?  Is he correct in his rationale?

His trailer with dual 7K axles was originally rated at 15.6k-ish and he had it knocked down to 14.4k-ish.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2021, 09:17:59 AM »
I watched a 'trailer selection video' where the guy buying a trailer had it downrated 'so the truck and trailer max would be under the CDL license requirements'.  It seems to me the rating doesn't matter to the safety patrol, it's whether you're driving a combination that exceeds the limits of your license.  He said down rating was common...y'all ever heard of such a thing?  Is he correct in his rationale?

His trailer with dual 7K axles was originally rated at 15.6k-ish and he had it knocked down to 14.4k-ish.

Has anyone other than you Clark ever even been pulled over for a trailer violation?

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2021, 09:59:39 AM »

Has anyone other than you Clark ever even been pulled over for a trailer violation?

I haven't
And never will if I didn't get pulled over last weekend with a super sketch pallet of bagged mulch on my trailer.  Idiot HD guy couldn't load it right, broke the pallet which made it lean back and my strapping was somewhat lackluster.  Had two LEO's pass me on Hwy 92 and never even turned their heads at me.  I wasn't over-weight, not even close, but the whole thing just looked awful.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2021, 10:06:40 AM »

I haven't
And never will if I didn't get pulled over last weekend with a super sketch pallet of bagged mulch on my trailer.  Idiot HD guy couldn't load it right, broke the pallet which made it lean back and my strapping was somewhat lackluster.  Had two LEO's pass me on Hwy 92 and never even turned their heads at me.  I wasn't over-weight, not even close, but the whole thing just looked awful.
Pictures are always appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM