BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Armor Advice  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Grass Janitor

• GATR STAFF
Armor Advice
« on: July 22, 2008, 05:59:19 PM »
I've gotta get my junk some protection  ;).  I know I want:

Engine/Oil Pan Skid
Gas Tank Skid
Rockers
Diff Covers

Knowing the trails we usually run and considering my low rider mall-crawler (31s, 2" BB) how would you prioritize these?  I have always felt like the oil pan would come first, but I could use some advice.
Sam- Silver 2012 JKUR on 37s

Offline Will

• Visitor
Re: Armor Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 06:10:01 PM »
Rockers!!! Anything that keeps your junk off the hard stuff. Heck, I've laid my tube steps on some nasty stuff, but nothing has ever hit the body. So I'm happy. I've been meaning to get an engine/oil pan skid for awhile, although I've never hit in that area. Really the only time a TJ needs protection there is when you slide off a rock and there's something there that catches it right. Climbing ledges and such, Tjs almost always hit the T-case skid. It should definitely be on your to-dos though. I don't think there are many Tjs in this group with engine skids, however.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

BigJerm

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 06:13:04 PM »
I have to agree with Will, rockers. I had a JK but the idea is the same and man I use the crap out of rockers. When I had the 2 door on 35s i beat the rockers, even with the stock Rubi doing mild trails I have already hit them a few times.

Offline GusaGus

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 06:16:18 PM »
i think the first damage i took on my jeep was always the rockers.  then it was the gas tank that started taking damage, but that little thin sheet did do a pretty good job and keeping it safe, but just got bent to bad.  i do have some good dents in my oil pan but (knock on wood) not bad enough for me to pay attention to yet.  only issue i have with stock diff covers is pealing them and getting a slight leak (easy fix with better covers)

with all that said i would go in this order
rockers
corners
engine/ oil pan
diff covers
gas tank

8)
98 TJ
3.5" lift
locked and locked
36" iroks on bead locks
custom cage and more

Offline Alex

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 06:26:45 PM »
Your 2001 tj gas tank skid is really not that bad when compared to older tj models.  I would do rockers first. 

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 07:40:58 PM »
Rockers then diff covers. Diffs are the lowest part on your vehicle. I almost pushed my stock one into the gears one day, got some beefy covers shortly after!
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

Offline yellowxj

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 07:54:52 PM »
rockers and dif covers for sure. Rockhard4x4 makes some good rocker protection, installation isnt super easy but I've never seen them shift or bend...
I hope I get to trail ride this year.

Offline Grass Janitor

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 08:22:03 PM »
I have to admit I was hoping rockers would be a popular choice just because they also improve the look of the jeep IMO.  I'm thinking about AtoZ among others.  I've always worried about the oil pan just b/c if I hit it I may not be getting home but y'all are right, my t-case skid usually hits everything anyway.  Rusty's has a 3/16" gas tank skid for only 200 right now, so I may also go with that.  The prices for good diff covers are pretty surprising to me.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 09:00:29 PM »
Well, here is my take...

1. Rockers
2. Diffs
3. Steering box skid
4. Oil pan skid
5. Gas tank skid

I would almost put a diff guard first. I have nailed mine many a time and it has saved me from shoving the cover into the ring gear! Eventually you will need to look into replacing the transfer case skid. I beat mine all to heck. But rockers are a must. It is the weakest and thinnest part of the Jeep to hit. I have only hit my oil pan skid once and it was a big hang up. Usually it will not be an issue. The gas tank skid is a priority but only if you are Krawling on big rocks and ledges. I got all my dents from the rock garden at crawfords. Alex is right though, they take a good beating but as low as the butt hangs on TJs I would get one pretty soon. Everybody overlooks the steering box skid. I have come real close to hitting mine. You hit that good and you are toast! But do what the budget alows first. And do internet searches for most of these parts like craigslist etc. No need to pay full price when somebody may have a scratched up guard for cheaper. It's gonna get hit anyway!
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Grass Janitor

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 09:30:39 PM »
I'm definitely getting a steering box skid, I just didn't list it.  For the price of those it's a no-brainer to me, def worth 50 bucks or less.   

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 09:35:31 PM »
I got my front diff guard for $35 from Oconee Offroad. If you looka nd search you will find about anything you want cheaper than just buying from the big namers. Just takes time but for me... every penny matters! It has taken me 8 years to get my Jeep they way I want it! :D
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 09:45:36 PM »
Rockers then diff covers. Diffs are the lowest part on your vehicle. I almost pushed my stock one into the gears one day, got some beefy covers shortly after!

I was there. Wasn't that the second attempt at "Damn rock!" hill?  :D 
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM