BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: OSHA COVID Mandate  (Read 187 times)

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
OSHA COVID Mandate
« on: November 03, 2021, 07:32:44 PM »
I got an email this morning from my corporate office. It's mandated yet, but it's coming within the next few weeks.

this following federal mandate will be forthcoming:

According to the White House’s Path out of the Pandemic, OSHA "is developing a rule that will require all employers with 100 or more employees to ensure their workforce is fully vaccinated or require any workers who remain unvaccinated to produce a negative test result on at least a weekly basis before coming to work."
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: OSHA COVID Mandate
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 08:25:00 PM »
My company voluntarily set that standard (or read the tea leaves); the decision was made at the top,  and it's a private company so it's his choice.  I know of one person who got religious exemption,  and one person who is no longer with the company (I don't know if he tried to get an exemption).  He was a big loss for the org... hopefully he is able to come back at some point,  and hopefully he can find a job quickly.

Best to you if you are a hard core anti vaxxer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 11:45:28 AM by clark123456 »
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 08:26:54 PM »
What happens if an employer doesn’t comply? Seems like an overreach without any teeth
Travis Macdonald
Crossthreading is nature's locktite

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 09:04:05 PM »
What happens if an employer doesn’t comply? Seems like an overreach without any teeth
I'm sure there will be fines from OSHA. We're waiting to see the actual mandate to see if we have to pay each employee for the weekly test.

I'm sure that companies that have just a little over 100 employees will be cutting back to 99 to avoid the mandate.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Chuck & Sherry

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 09:02:24 AM »
My company voluntarily set that standard (or read the tea leaves); the decision was made at the top,  and it's a private cubism so it's his choice.  I know of one person who got religious exemption,  and one person who is no longer with the company (I don't know if he tried to get an exemption).  He was a big loss for the org... hopefully he is able to come back at some point,  and hopefully he can find a job quickly.

Best to you if you are a hard core anti vaxxer.

Vaccine. Lols.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 12:47:19 PM »
The mandate was just issued as an Emergency Temporary Standard (ETS)

AGC Update on Mandatory Vaccines

Today the Federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) released its COVID-19 vaccine requirements for employers that have a total of at least 100 employees firm or corporate-wide at any time.  The release of the Emergency Temporary Standard (ETS) comes approximately two months after President Joe Biden announced a sweeping set of COVID-19 vaccine mandates and requirements for both Federal employees and private employers.

Its important to note that while the Federal ETS technically goes into immediate effect, California is governed by its own regulatory board: the California Occupational Safety and Health Administration (Cal/OSHA) that must now formally adopt the Federal ETS.  As a result, with the release of the Federal ETS, Cal/OSHA now has approximately 30 days to formally adopt the Federal ETS in its current released form or adopt more stringent vaccine standards in addition to the Federal ETS.  Only upon formal adoption by the Cal/OSHA Board does the Federal ETS go into effect in California.

Who is covered?
•   Employers that have a total of at least 100 employees firm or corporate-wide at any time.
Exclusions
•   Federal OSHA ETS does not apply to workplaces covered under the Safer Federal Workforce Task Force COVID-19 Workplace Safety: Guidance for Federal Contractors and Subcontractors.
•   The ETS does not apply to employees who do not report to a workplace where other individuals such as coworkers or customers are present, employees while they are working from home, or employees who work exclusively outdoors.
Effective Dates
•   The ETS is effective immediately upon publication in Federal Register. To comply, employers must ensure provisions are addressed in the workplace by the following dates:
o   30 days after publication: All requirements other than testing for employees who have not completed their entire primary vaccination dose(s)
o   60 days after publication: Testing for employees who have not received all doses required for a primary vaccination
Testing provisions for employees who are not vaccinated
•   The ETS requires employers to ensure that each employee, who is not fully vaccinated, is tested for COVID-19 at least weekly (if in the workplace at least once a week) or within 7 days before returning to work (if away from the workplace for a week or longer). The ETS does not require employers to pay for any costs associated with testing. However, employer payment for testing may be required by other laws, regulations, or collective bargaining agreements or other collectively negotiated agreements. In addition, nothing prohibits employers from voluntarily assuming the costs associated with testing.
Employer support for employee vaccination
•   ETS requires employers to support vaccination by providing employees reasonable time, including up to four hours of paid time, to receive each vaccination dose, and reasonable time and paid sick leave to recover from side effects experienced following each dose
Streamlining Implementation and Setting One Compliance Deadline Across Different Vaccination Requirements: January 4, 2022 
•   The rules released today ensure employers know which requirements apply to which workplaces. Federal contractors may have some workplaces subject to requirements for federal contractors and other workplaces subject to the newly-released COVID-19 Vaccination and Testing ETS. To make it easy for all employers to comply with the requirements, the deadline for the federal contractor vaccination requirement will be aligned with those for the CMS rule and the ETS. Employees falling under the ETS, CMS, or federal contractor rules will need to have their final vaccination dose – either their second dose of Pfizer or Moderna, or single dose of Johnson & Johnson – by January 4, 2022. This will make it easier for employers to ensure their workforce is vaccinated, safe, and healthy, and ensure that federal contractors implement their requirements on the same timeline as other employers in their industries. And, the newly-released ETS will not be applied to workplaces subject to the federal contractor requirement or CMS rule, so employers will not have to track multiple vaccination requirements for the same employees.
This morning, Thursday, November 4, from 10-10:45 a.m. PDT (1-1:45 p.m. EDT), the Department of Labor (DOL) will hold a briefing with senior DOL, OSHA, and administration officials to provide an overview of the ETS, including guidance around implementation and answers to key questions.

Attendees are encouraged to review the fact sheet and information from OSHA ahead of the briefing and submit questions using the RSVP link below.

Time: Thursday, November 4 from 10-10:45 a.m. PDT (1-1:45 p.m. EDT)
RSVP: Register here.

As Cal/OSHA moves forward with incorporating these federal regulations into a Cal/OSHA-specific ETS regulation, we will keep you apprised of any updates, changes, and announcements.  Furthermore, in the days to come, we will be releasing a full summary and analysis of the Federal vaccine ETS along with useful resource documents.  Additionally, AGC-CA will be scheduling a webinar for members offering a more in-depth analysis of the Federal ETS and guidance on how to proceed with compliance in the upcoming weeks. 

Lastly, AGC of California has been in frequent communication with AGC of America (AGC-A). AGC-A has engaged outside legal counsel in order to provide a legal memorandum that identifies the standards that OSHA must meet to justify using the Federal ETS process instead of the normal administrative procedures that are typically employed.  Now that the Federal ETS on vaccinations has been released, AGC-A will be measuring it against the legal memorandum to determine whether a court challenge is warranted and evaluate the chances for success.  Additionally, several Republican U.S. Senators have announced they will use the Congressional Review Act (CRA) to challenge Federal OSHA’s ETS; however, obtaining the necessary votes to “disapprove” the ETS seems unlikely as Democrats remain the majority in both the Senate and House of Representatives. 

Any questions or concerns regarding Cal/OSHA and vaccine mandates across the state, please contact Brian Mello, Safety Manager, at (603) 770-9264 or mellob@agc-ca.org.

Chuck & Sherry

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 04:13:45 PM »
Finally, something reasonable about covid from this administration.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 04:45:45 PM by clark123456 »
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 04:59:01 PM »

still waiting
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 05:02:24 PM »

I don’t get why this “vaccine” is required for employment, but the real vaccines aren’t.
Travis Macdonald
Crossthreading is nature's locktite

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 05:11:50 PM »

still waiting
Keep planning your little trip and leave me alone.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2021, 03:46:56 PM »
It was blocked and then its not!

Federal Sixth Circuit Court Dissolves Stay Allowing Federal OSHA To Move Forward With Implementation and Enforcement of the COVID-19 Vaccine and Testing Emergency Temporary Standard for Employers With 100+ Employees

On Friday, December 17, 2021, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit dissolved the Stay of the Federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Vaccination and Testing Emergency Temporary Standard (ETS) imposed by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in early November 2021. This decision allows OSHA to proceed with implementation and enforcement of the rule issued on November 5, 2021, that applies to employers with over 100 employees.

To account for any uncertainty created by the Fifth Circuit's Stay, OSHA is exercising enforcement discretion with respect to the compliance dates of the ETS. To provide employers with sufficient time to come into compliance, OSHA will not issue citations for non-compliance with any requirements of the ETS before January 10, 2022, and will not issue citations for noncompliance with the standard’s testing requirements before February 9, 2022, so long as an employer is exercising reasonable, good faith efforts to come into compliance with the standard.

At this point, the overall fate of the Federal OSHA ETS is still unclear and fluid in nature. Following the Sixth Circuit Court's decision to lift the Federal OSHA ETS Stay, multiple organizations and entities, including 27 states, have filed emergency motions with the U.S. Supreme Court to block the ETS.

In California, on November 15, 2021, the California Occupational and Safety Administration (Cal/OSHA) announced that California's proposal to remain in compliance with the Federal ETS (i.e. HORCHER proposal) would not be released and heard at their November 18th Standards Board hearing as previously identified on the Board's agenda. At that time in a publicly released statement, the Cal/OSHA noted: "consideration of a HORCHER proposal will not take place on the 18th, and instead will be delayed until more information on the U.S. Court of Appeals litigation develops."

Presently, it is unclear whether Cal/OSHA will take further action now with respect to the Fed OSHA ETS. It is also unclear whether the Fifth Circuit Stay that was in effect until last Friday, December 17, 2021, tolls the 15-30 day deadline for OSHA state-run plans such as California. While it’s not certain how Cal/OSHA will move forward at this time, the Federal OSHA ETS has an immediate effect in the 29 states and territories under federal jurisdiction, albeit with new enforcement delays listed above.

As more information from Cal/OSHA is released based on the Sixth Circuit Courts' decision AGC will update members in a timely manner and advocate for all member priorities.

Chuck & Sherry

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM