BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Tile showers  (Read 475 times)

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Tile showers
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2022, 03:12:06 PM »
I do alot of showers with this guy, and He is one of the best.
This is the gayest thing I’ve read on here in a while.

I’m just pulling your chain.

Jealousness is not tolerated. Even if you are not a member, we still ask that you follow the bylaws for the club. This includes past members.   I pulled that directly from the forum rules. Dont get mad at me.

I guess you’ve never heard of a joke before, sad.

If that really did offend you I’m sorry.

Merry Christmas!!!
Lol, he is saying that you're jealous.

On a serious note - Pat, do you have a termite control system in place?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I do, and have for the past decade. They are coming out to replace all the termite damage at no expense, but that still leaves a potentially broken shower. Ill know more about the severity of wood damage on Wednesday and come up with a plan then

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2022, 03:18:58 PM »

Jealousness is not tolerated. Even if you are not a member, we still ask that you follow the bylaws for the club. This includes past members.   I pulled that directly from the forum rules. Dont get mad at me.

Merry Christmas!!!

If you think my responce was anything more than a joke, then I'm the one that is sorry. Im pretty sure the whole comment is a lie, and im going to hell for it.

And merry christmas to you and yours as well

We good, bruh.
Maybe one day we can meet at a park & share an adult beverage, if that’s your flavor.

We have met. I bought a xj budget boost from you a while ago. I blew the coil spacers out, but the shackles are still working.

Back on subject.
Pat, if you end up needing a plumber for any of the repair, let me know. Ill give you that jeep club, Im just happy to help a good man out, no cost to you discount.

Thanks Brian. I'm assuming a very large chunk of the 4k is labor, so I will more than likely be learning a new trade. I think the plumbing is ok, but will definitely reach out if needed

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2022, 05:53:51 PM »

Merry Christmas!!!

If you think my responce was anything more than a joke, then I'm the one that is sorry. Im pretty sure the whole comment is a lie, and im going to hell for it.

I got it.

And loved it.  Hilarious

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2022, 08:52:00 AM »

Merry Christmas!!!

We good, bruh.
Maybe one day we can meet at a park & share an adult beverage, if that’s your flavor.

We have met. I bought a xj budget boost from you a while ago. I blew the coil spacers out, but the shackles are still working.

Back on subject.
Pat, if you end up needing a plumber for any of the repair, let me know. Ill give you that jeep club, Im just happy to help a good man out, no cost to you discount.

Thanks Brian. I'm assuming a very large chunk of the 4k is labor, so I will more than likely be learning a new trade. I think the plumbing is ok, but will definitely reach out if needed

110% knew this was going to be the result without even reading this thread, because its Pat.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2022, 12:39:07 AM »

Merry Christmas!!!

We good, bruh.

Back on subject.

110% knew this was going to be the result without even reading this thread, because its Pat.
It allows him to afford to carry liquid gold power steering fluid for other people to use on the trail.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 12:39:54 AM by clark123456 »
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2022, 07:45:57 AM »

Merry Christmas!!!
Lol, he is saying that you're jealous.

On a serious note - Pat, do you have a termite control system in place?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I do, and have for the past decade. They are coming out to replace all the termite damage at no expense, but that still leaves a potentially broken shower. Ill know more about the severity of wood damage on Wednesday and come up with a plan then

The shower is leaking from the damage the termites caused!
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline gint2

• Visitor
  • RAINMAN - 18436572
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2022, 10:20:55 AM »
What makes you think it's termites? That straight up looks like the grout missing from the tile is straight in line with the wood rot... plus some wicking upwards.  That's not a bad job. I've done a few myself.  FFS you built the chassis on your rig, you can tile a shower!
Check out the Schluter system. You replace the entire shower pan with the foam base then the waterproof membrane covers it. The system is suppose to be a 50 year system, vs the 10-15 year rubber pan material.  You can also use the edging trim for the edges of the tile.

Large format title is much cleaner but a bit of a bear if the walls aren't straight. I used 24x24 wall tile in mine. There is a metric crap ton of videos on youTube if you need. Also, if you want you got my number if you need to talk it through.
JK-AJ

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2022, 10:38:55 AM »
What makes you think it's termites?

Check out post #4, the bug guy checked it out.
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2022, 11:02:57 AM »
What makes you think it's termites? That straight up looks like the grout missing from the tile is straight in line with the wood rot... plus some wicking upwards.  That's not a bad job. I've done a few myself.  FFS you built the chassis on your rig, you can tile a shower!
Check out the Schluter system. You replace the entire shower pan with the foam base then the waterproof membrane covers it. The system is suppose to be a 50 year system, vs the 10-15 year rubber pan material.  You can also use the edging trim for the edges of the tile.

Large format title is much cleaner but a bit of a bear if the walls aren't straight. I used 24x24 wall tile in mine. There is a metric crap ton of videos on youTube if you need. Also, if you want you got my number if you need to talk it through.

I dug them out with a putty knife and killed them with insecticide, so I'm somewhat confident they exist lol

I had scraped out some grout and silicone prior to these pics, but the grout was cracked and probably the source of the leak since the plumbing is fine. Will hopefully know scope of damage when bug guys come tomorrow

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2022, 10:58:36 PM »
Bug guys treated everything and opened up the wall behind the shower. Happy to report there is zero water or termite damage behind the shower, so that leaves the one corner with cracked grout as the source of the leak. Also got to take a peak at the wood that makes up the curb (raised section you step over to get in the shower) and other than the very end being wet, it's solid with no damage.

The plan as of now is to let the termites finish dying for the next 4 days, then reseal the shower and start using it again while still checking for leaks from the other side of the wall.

@classified  i do have a plumbing question for you: I saw a YouTube video where they replaced a shower drain and said something about "weep holes" being blocked below the tile surface of the shower that helps drain out any water under the pan. My drain doesn't look like the one in the video. Is this something that all showers have?

Interesting fact I learned that you all probably know: most wood in a house is not pressure treated due to cost savings. It's usually used around places that can be exposed to moisture like a shower, but it's not used everywhere. I assumed it was all treated.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 11:00:13 PM by patman »

Offline classified

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2022, 04:18:31 PM »
Bug guys treated everything and opened up the wall behind the shower. Happy to report there is zero water or termite damage behind the shower, so that leaves the one corner with cracked grout as the source of the leak. Also got to take a peak at the wood that makes up the curb (raised section you step over to get in the shower) and other than the very end being wet, it's solid with no damage.

The plan as of now is to let the termites finish dying for the next 4 days, then reseal the shower and start using it again while still checking for leaks from the other side of the wall.

@classified  i do have a plumbing question for you: I saw a YouTube video where they replaced a shower drain and said something about "weep holes" being blocked below the tile surface of the shower that helps drain out any water under the pan. My drain doesn't look like the one in the video. Is this something that all showers have?

Interesting fact I learned that you all probably know: most wood in a house is not pressure treated due to cost savings. It's usually used around places that can be exposed to moisture like a shower, but it's not used everywhere. I assumed it was all treated.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

The shower drain should be 2 pieces that sandwich with the pan in between. The top piece has grooves in it so that any water that gets through the tile and grout, or corners that have cracks, will eventualy run across the pan and into the shower drain. If those grooves get caulked around or it has red guard or something like that is used around the drain, then the water cant escape and sits in the rubber pan until it finds somewhere else to go.
Water finds holes and cracks. It will defy gravity to do so.

There was a movement among tile guys in the late 90's and early 2000's not to use a rubber pan. They used a paint on product that claimed to work just as well. The claim is a lie. I'd be here all day listing why it doesnt work, or wont last. If you remodeled your bathroom without permits, and used the cheapest tile guy you could find, not saying you did that Pat, this is for everyone, chances are there is no rubber pan and your shower will leak as soon as your house settles a little.

There is also no reason for pressure treated lumber when building a house. Wood in contact with concrete should be pressure treated, but a layer of felt paper under the bottom plate works just as well. No wood should come in contact with soil. If the house is built properly, and all energy codes are met, no untreated wood should ever see a drop of moisture.

What is interesting, if anyone is building a house and trying to decide what to use on the exterior. Cementus fiber board, ie. Hardy Board, gives the house a brick rateing with the insurance company and saves alot of money over time. I saved $100 a month. But you have to do all the sidding, cornace, and trim with a cementus product. No exterior wood.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 04:36:26 PM by classified »
Brian Gibson
94 YJ

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2022, 10:46:17 PM »
Thanks Brian for the write-up. If re-sealing doesn't work, then I'll be pulling the drain up and checking that before a full demo.

My house was purchased new in 2013, so the shower was built then and I can only assume it was built to the proper specs. I also know it has the rubber membrane between the tile and walls because I can see it through the opening in the wall

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM