BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Nursing Homes  (Read 662 times)

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
Nursing Homes
« on: December 31, 2022, 10:47:56 AM »
Does anyone have any experience dealing with their grandparents and nursing homes in the area?

Sherry's gpa has been put on hospice and we can't care for him at home.

He doesn't have any money, only Medicare and VA. We have applied for Medicaid and are waiting.

We have contacted around 15 homes and none of them have a bed available. All the VA homes in GA are ran by the state and because he has not paid taxes in GA they cannot accept him because he's not considered a residence (even though he's a WWII vet).

The hospital tried to discharge him on Friday, but he has no place to go. So, now they are charging him for each day.

We don't know what to do at this point!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Online Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Nursing Homes
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 12:09:19 PM »
Sad world we live in when the govt cares more about illegal immigrants that the veterans who fought for our freedoms.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 12:30:47 PM »
My mom went to a couple of facilities in the area,  but she had tons of coverage.   The quality does vary by facility:  Roselane in Marietta (near Kennestone) was terrible (Kell said they are a rehab center...uh huh);   AG Rhodes in Marietta was relatively great.   

Sorry about this, Chuck; It sucks.

There are no good facilities unless you're wealthy.

With more details, Kell may be able to guide some since she did a lot of research when dealing with my mom; hit me up offline if you want to discuss further.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 02:09:42 PM »
My mother-in-law was in Memory Care at Country Garden in Duluth.  It was one of the least expensive places we could find for her because she ran out of money and only had SS, and even then, we had to help pay for the place.

It has memory care and toward the end, Hospice came to her there as well. 

It was not a great place, but it was ok.  Great places are very expensive.

Offline classified

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 02:45:11 PM »
Part of what our "head in the sand" governor ran on was taking care of our vets.
That comment is not just for our governor but for every politician, no matter what side of the isle they are on. It really is sad.

Brian Gibson
94 YJ

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 07:57:34 AM »
My mother-in-law was in Memory Care at Country Garden in Duluth.  It was one of the least expensive places we could find for her because she ran out of money and only had SS, and even then, we had to help pay for the place.

It has memory care and toward the end, Hospice came to her there as well. 

It was not a great place, but it was ok.  Great places are very expensive.

The palliative care team found him a private pay home with a 1 star rating for $8400 a month and they wanted the first month up front. That didn't happen.

When they told us on Friday that it was his last day Sherry did an appeal to Medicare to keep him there longer. They called yesterday and told her that she won the appeal and that he was covered. Don't know how much longer he can stay at the hospital though, but it does buy more time.
Chuck & Sherry

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 01:54:26 PM »
Update:

Sherry's gpa was finally approved and admitted into a VA nursing home back in Mississippi. What an ordeal this was.

My advice: Make sure you have any directives, living wills, etc. put in place. Make sure you insurance/money in place that will cover long term care, this will make it a whole lot easier on your kids and or spouse.

Don't wait thinking that you have plenty of time, you can't plan bad health or accidents.

Chuck & Sherry

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 05:23:09 PM »
Agreed,  Chuck.   And for those with assets,  set up a trust (and put the assets in the trust) so you can save the family from having to go through probate.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 07:02:59 PM »
Glad that a solution was found Chuck. We will be praying for GPa and for your family. Those are tough situations. Prayers up.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 08:50:17 PM »
My best friend lost in laws in a head on crash two weeks ago. Older gentleman hit them at 70mph and no one survived on either side, but he, his wife, and wife sister are having to go through everything without a will and figuring out things. We were just at their house on New Years eve as they all live close on like 20 acres. 
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2023, 10:09:10 AM »
Chuck, wishing the best for Larry.  What a great person he is and certainly lived a great life.  Happy he will spend his final years with other people around him. 

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2023, 08:48:39 AM »
Sherry's gpa passed away in his sleep last night.

Chuck & Sherry

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM